Canada Votes 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm voting for The Canadian Action Party. I have given up all hope in regards to the Liberals and NDP and I cannot stand the Conservatives (I still get mad when thinking of Brian Mulroney). In my district the Liberals always win so I guess my vote is a protest vote. Oh well, at least CAP is closer to what I beleive than any of the other parties. As far as Issues go...
Health Care
Child Poverty
US Hegemony (did I spell that right???)

I almost don't give a shit anymore, let the Conservatives take over, let's see how much "better" they can do, and then let's clean up the mess afterwards, just to make a point. Unfortunately, that point could be costly but then we could just appoint the Liberals as our permanent gov't.:wink:

Our political system is such a mess right now, it's like picking which convict you would like to share a cell with, it doesn't matter cause you're gonna get screwed in the end. :banghead:

It will be hard this time... the two possible leading partis are trash. Still, I'd rather stay with Martin than trying the conservatives, especialy if Harper is their chief. I don't want to have to hear again of gay marriage (I'm for anyway) and matters like abortion, which he's against.

Layton would be the best to me but unfortunatly, he doesn't really care about Quebec. I understand him (he knows it's almost impossible to fight against the Bloc over here !) but I'm a Quebecker and I must try to fight for my interests ;) A friend of me who didn't know for who to vote told me she'd vote bloc, for me.

Last edited:
vervex said:
It will be hard this time... the two possible leading partis are trash. Still, I'd rather stay with Martin than trying the conservatives, especialy if Harper is their chief. I don't want to have to hear again of gay marriage (I'm for anyway) and matters like abortion, which he's against.

Layton would be the best to me but unfortunatly, he doesn't really care about Quebec. I understand him (he knows it's almost impossible to fight against the Bloc over here !) but I'm a Quebecker and I must try to fight for my interests ;) A friend of me who didn't know for who to vote told me she'd vote bloc, for me.

please don't vote bloc.

seriously.

Green Party for me, although Liberals always win in this riding, so there's little chance of my vote counting.

I do not want to live in a country where Steven Harper is prime minister. I don't want to rehash the gay-marriage laws. The issues I care about? Health care (fighting privitization) and education. Liberals announced a plan today to pay for haf of first and least year's unviersity tuition beginning in 2007. Not much, but a start. I'd also like to see some emphasis placed on nationalism, and avoiding another referendum.

Harper's playing it much cooler this time around, which makes me think its all an act. How much could he really have changed since 2004? I fear, if Canada goes conservative and Harper sides with the Bloc, we're headed for separatism.

Zoomerang96 said:

please don't vote bloc.

seriously.

Ahaha why shouldn't ? :p
When you have the choice between thiefs and a man that is against everything, I choose for another alternative... and Bloc is one of them. They do nothing except bragging sometimes about Quebec. It's not like they were dangerous ;)

I'm just sad Boisclair was elected as the PQ chief this year. If people elect the PQ in Quebec in the next elections, there will be referendum and if enough people vote, Quebec will have its "souveraineté". THAT is something I seriously don't want. Besides, I hate Boisclair. Arg.

vervex, if you vote for the BLOC PARTY (PUN INTENDED! brilliant!) you'll be voting for separation anyway.

are there NO federalist options you feel comfortable with? the greens? ndp?

to be perfectly fair, quebec garners a LOT of attention. how much more do they really need?

how much do you know about manitoba? what about our needs?

We all know that since the Bloc is there, they make nothing anyway. As I told you, the PQ can be a lot more troublesome in the province. The Green Party talks about raising taxes for the gaz and anything polluating. - make them pay !- sorry, not everybody has the money to buy an hybrid car over here, fucker. Their methods piss me off to the highest point.
NPD looks nice, but doesn't really give a shit about my province so... :|

We get attention because we yell louder lol And we're different. Quebeckers just want recognition after all. We don't have the same religion, the same values, the same tradition nor folklore.

I concider myself as Canadian and will seriously concider moving in Ontario if Quebec becomes a country, only I am Quebecker in my soul and will always stay one. Not always easy to be both, Canadian and Quebecker, and to actualy believe in the two sides ;)

Why vote liberal? They are everything to everyman.

NDP? A bunch of Idealists who want to take your money and spend it on programs they see fit. They offer alot, of social programs, but most people fail to see that funding for these programs comes from your pocket. Also NDP are strong advocates of increasing welfare spending. Ever heard of the welfare trap?
Also, remember what Bob Rae did to Ontario in the early 90's? Debt, debt, debt

The green party, although very good motives, they are not economically feasible and would pile drive our economy into the mud.
h t t p://www.uoguelph.ca/~rmckitri/research/KyotoCommentary.pdf

A conservative government is based around this ideology.

Less high government, more smaller provincial governments . This is better because what may work for one part of Canada may not work for another. Having one firm federal government causes divisions. (BC and the west, Ontario, Quebec, the east)

Less tax for high income earners. High income earners (business men) are usually the shakers and movers in a population, they create the companies that provide jobs and economic growth. Increasing tax on high income earners puts a stymie on this. "Why do business in Canada when we can go to the states and get taxed less?"

Finally, not a conservative ideology, but something i feel has a good shot with the conservatives.
h t t p://www.carletonsportsmed.com/how_the_private_sector_can_save_.htm]

My very humble opinions,
Aaron

vervex, quebec has too many good hockey players to ever allow us to separate. all our good goalies come from there...and vincent lecavalier...:drool:

Zoomerang96 said:
vervex, quebec has too many good hockey players to ever allow us to separate. all our good goalies come from there...and vincent lecavalier...:drool:

Ahahah... I don't like hockey so it's not very important to me ;) I actualy liked the year we passed without hockey on TV. Peace, finaly ! ;)

nah

merging isn't fun. but let's not start any more threads...i wouldn't have made the one i did, had i known this existed, but nevertheless, what's done is done.

this is one of the most important elections in recent canadian history, and deserves all the attention it gets.

vervex said:

Ahaha why shouldn't ? :p
When you have the choice between thiefs and a man that is against everything, I choose for another alternative... and Bloc is one of them. They do nothing except bragging sometimes about Quebec. It's not like they were dangerous ;)

I'm just sad Boisclair was elected as the PQ chief this year. If people elect the PQ in Quebec in the next elections, there will be referendum and if enough people vote, Quebec will have its "souveraineté". THAT is something I seriously don't want. Besides, I hate Boisclair. Arg.

But why do you feel Bloc is your ONLY alternative? I'm sure there are other parties in your riding.

As mentioned before, a vote for Bloc is a vote for separatism. REGARDLESS of whether you like the main candidate or not, voting Bloc is a strike against Canadian nationalism. I don't understand Bloc ideology. Please explain it to me. I think PQ votes simply take away from votes that would actually MEAN something in this election. At least Qubecers actualy have a voice in determining the results of this government - how much say do Manitoba, Sask. or even Alberta get?

While I favour the Liberal Economic Policy (budget surpluses three or four years in a row), I admire the Conservative effort this election - more promises, better programs. I'd love to see 5% GST. However, look what happened when Mulroney was PM or when Harris ran Ontario - debt, debt, debt. I can't vote Conservative because I don't want thsi economy run directly into the ground.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

But why do you feel Bloc is your ONLY alternative? I'm sure there are other parties in your riding.

As mentioned before, a vote for Bloc is a vote for separatism. REGARDLESS of whether you like the main candidate or not, voting Bloc is a strike against Canadian nationalism. I don't understand Bloc ideology. Please explain it to me. I think PQ votes simply take away from votes that would actually MEAN something in this election. At least Qubecers actualy have a voice in determining the results of this government - how much say do Manitoba, Sask. or even Alberta get?

While I favour the Liberal Economic Policy (budget surpluses three or four years in a row), I admire the Conservative effort this election - more promises, better programs. I'd love to see 5% GST. However, look what happened when Mulroney was PM or when Harris ran Ontario - debt, debt, debt. I can't vote Conservative because I don't want thsi economy run directly into the ground.

actually, it'll soon be nine consecutive years with a budget surplus. we've made huge cuts to the defecit.

But are tose surpluses Liberal made or is it because oil and gas are at their highest levels? Just like in alberta where we have 8 or 9 billion surpluses, but is it because of Klien and company or is it because oil and gas? Anyone idiot could run alberta and still have surpluses and probably do it better, is that to be said about the federal economy?

However, look what happened when Mulroney was PM or when Harris ran Ontario - debt, debt, debt. I can't vote Conservative because I don't want thsi economy run directly into the ground.

First of all, Mulroney was at the helm during the most recent economic recession. You'd have to be a magician to find a government that was able to pull in a surplus. Put a man in the corner theres only so much he can do.

Conversely, Jean Chretien rode the largest economic boom bubble to ever occur. This is why the Liberals were able to eliminate as much debt as they did.

Unrelated but on a similar note, Bill Clinton did the same thing.
Think about it, how could a national figure get away with adultery in front of his entire nation. Only a time of exceptional optimism would cater to this.

Harris took over after Bob Rae steamrolled Ontarios coffers by offering redundant programs which did little to encourage economic growth. He increased welfare wages to the point where it was TOO comfortable to live on welfare, a problem that we still are trying to get rid of. Arguably, you could say he was dealt the same recession card as Mulroney, however the difference is that when in power, the NDP fortified their stereotype as irresponsible spenders.

Finally, what do you mean by the conservatives sending the economy into the ground?

Again, my humble opinions,

Aaron

bonoman said:
Just like in alberta where we have 8 or 9 billion surpluses, but is it because of Klien and company or is it because oil and gas? Anyone idiot could run alberta and still have surpluses and probably do it better,
haha!! exactly!!

Back
Top Bottom