Canada Votes 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, but they're the one who lost the election for him in 2004. It is scary. Seriously, I follow politics quite closely but I can't name you more than a handful of Conservative candidates!

And if Stockwell Day becomes the Minister of Foreign Affairs, as some are speculating, I might just quit my job!

You folks in Ottawa will probably see a lot of changes in the next few months if Harpur wins.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some eye-rolling about Canada after this election, and I have no problem with that.

ladywithspinninghead said:
There is the possibility the Conservatives could win a majority the next time around but we have to bear in mind the Liberals are the "natural governing party of Canada".

The Liberals are on to something in this regard - just today Harper announced all media conferences, interviews with candidates, etc are now forbidden until after the election. It really does make one wonder...

Good points...I think the Conservatives' longest run was 11 years, so the Liberals' record of 22 is very much a symbolic doubling of success that's been carried throughout the history of both parties.

It does feel, now, at 13 years, feel that the Linerals' latest run is about to end. Perhaps it's just the ebb and flow of reality, and of politics. Maybe stale platforms need a kick in the arse before they become clear again.

trevster2k said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see some eye-rolling about Canada after this election, and I have no problem with that.

I think you can argue the eye-rolling has been around for a while...especially with the U.S.

ladywithspinninghead said:
There is the possibility the Conservatives could win a majority the next time around but we have to bear in mind the Liberals are the "natural governing party of Canada".

Indeed we know that pretty well.

What I am suggesting is that for those who are resigned to a Conservative minority and think it's safe to lash out at the Liberals by voting for the NDP or whoever else may want to consider that Harper's ride might be a little longer than people anticipate.

In which case he could be fairly disruptive with a majority until we put the Libs back in to gain back our happy medium.

But yeah, I doubt he'll be able to keep a short enough leash on his rabid flock over the next few months lol.

Well, today is the big day. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. Apparently today is also the most depressing day of the year according to some British scientist. :giggle: Nice date to hold the election guys!

Good luck, Canadians!

As an American Democrat, I feel for you today, more than you know. Please don't repeat our mistakes!

i've done my bit as well.

i don't think i've drawn an 'X' that emphatically in my life.

i went over it three times and almost broke my little pencil.

:sigh:

i voted this morning.

standing in the booth i went over the choices over and over again.

i had to make sure my support would not be lent to the party i did not want.

and it's not like you can ask for another ballot.

this evening is really gonna suck.

if only ontario pulls through...the tories won't win that many seats in quebec...it all falls down on ontario and b.c.

lmjhitman said:
i've done my bit as well.

i don't think i've drawn an 'X' that emphatically in my life.

i went over it three times and almost broke my little pencil.

:sigh:

I did the same thing. I was briefly afraid I'd tear the paper, and thus have my vote invalidated. :uhoh:

Zoomerang96 said:

if only ontario pulls through...the tories won't win that many seats in quebec...it all falls down on ontario and b.c.

Agreeance.

The Tory support in Quebec is misleading, IMO - overall their numbers aren't bad but I don't see them actually defeating the Bloc from riding to riding, so that's neither here nor there.

What will make the difference will be B.C. (Vancouver and area is really tight) and the Toronto Area suburbs (905 region) + 519 region.

I've voted. :)

Calluna said:

I'd imagine BC is pretty liberal, is that correct?

Yes, but there the NDP (further left than the Liberals) look poised to pick up seats which is great for them, but doesn't do anything for ridding ourselves of Harper.

the bulk of the population centres (vancouver, victoria) are quite liberal. possibly the most liberal in the country, actually.

I'd say there are several ridings in Quebec considerably more liberal.

I live in BC, the politics are screwed up. There is no Conservative provincial party, the provincial parliament is either Liberal or NDP, yet the majority of BC does vote Conservative federally. I am not from here but something like the last 5 premiers have been booted out of office in disgrace over scandals. Like I said, screwed up politics.

Being in the Maritimes, I have access to the early results, and I'll keep you guys updated (until 10 pm Atlantic).

So far the CBC is reporting:

4 Liberals leading or elected
4 Conservatives leading or elected
1 NDP leading or elected

Peter McKay is losing by one vote. Mind you, only two polls have reported in in Central Nova, though. :p

This is only the results for Newfoundland and Nova Scotia, where polls have only been closed for about 15 minutes.

Hey Dave, careful, you might get charged with a crime for releasing info on the web.:wink:

Hey Dave, have you seen the Hour folks yet, Matthew Good is supposed to with them to discuss the election. I'm blacked out at the moment.

Uh oh, the CRTC is gonna get me! :uhoh:

9 Liberals leading or elected
7 Conservatives leading or elected
2 NDP leading or elected

as of 8:50 PM AST

trevster2k said:
Hey Dave, have you seen the Hour folks yet, Matthew Good is supposed to with them to discuss the election. I'm blacked out at the moment.

Yup, George Stromboulopoulos was on earlier with a few cultural figures before polls closed. Haven't seen him since.

13 Liberals leading or elected
7 Conservatives leading or elected
1 NDP leading or elected

as of 8:52 PM AST

18 Liberals leading or elected
9 Conservatives leading or elected
2 NDP leading or elected

as of 8:56 PM AST

This is gonna be great for my post count. Finally a benefit to living in Nova Scotia! :whistle::wink:

I'll just keep posting Thanks Dave so I can benefit too.:wink:

Thanks Dave.

That law about releasing results is silly, individuals aren't going to vote based on how early polls are in the Eastern part of Canada. Foolishness!!!

11 Conservatives leading or elected
2 NDP leading or elected

as of 9:00 PM AST

All ridings have reported at least one poll.

My mistake, one hadn't reported in.

11 Conservatives leading or elected
3 NDP leading or elected

as of 9:06 PM AST

Next polls to close are Nunavut, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, and Saskatchewan in an hour and a half. (9:30 local)

Back
Top Bottom