Canada Votes 2006 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

And, Ontario is still smarting from the Harris reign of terror.

Is that Conservative increase at the polls post-debate?
Nope, it's been occurring over the past week or so...

Old 01-10-2006, 12:18 AM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead

Nope, it's been occurring over the past week or so...
Yes, I'd heard they were leading by 8% over the weekend, but someone mentioned upthread that their lead had risen to 14%...I just wondered if that was as a result of tonight.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #78
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Dandy:

What you fail to relize is that he is the leader of our country not just another CEO. I couldnt care less who brought up this issue, this issue has been around for years and has pissed me off since I first heard it. As the leader of a country how are you expected to say to business's 'stay in my country, this is best country in the world because X reasons' when you yourself have choosen not to run your company in Canada. As much as i hate harper, and I hate him, I couldnt see him running a company that went offshore for cheaper taxes.

Harper has never been CEO of a multinational company so you are right, he wouldn't. If I was an investor in a company that he took this stand with I don't think I would be very happy as it's not very business savvy is it?
However, in the shipping industry it is THE process and when companies don't use this process they ultimately fold as the price becomes to much to pay in industrialized countries. It is not just taxes...it is wages also. Is it shitty - Yes....Is it the way the shipping industry works - Yes.

Aside - finance guy, what's happening with the Irish Ferries debacle there?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 AM   #79
Refugee

Local Time: 03:43 PM
Well if you cannot run a company that pays fair wages and taxes then I suggest you take your interest elsewhere.

I just finsihed watching the debates and I think Martin really might have turned his campaign around. He seemed like the only leader that didnt have to read what he thought, he said what he thought, which is great. Layton still is to stiff and doesnt present a good debate style and Harper, who has the most to lose not that he's the leader in the polls, looked as if he could think for himself if he tried, very Bushesque.

I would predict the numbers after this debate will swing to more of an even race.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:18 AM   #80
MacPhisto's serving wench

CTV presents all the issues and how each party has responded. It's worth a look:

http://www.ctv.ca/mini/election2006/...ues/index.html
Old 01-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #81
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Well if you cannot run a company that pays fair wages and taxes then I suggest you take your interest elsewhere.

I just finsihed watching the debates and I think Martin really might have turned his campaign around. He seemed like the only leader that didnt have to read what he thought, he said what he thought, which is great. Layton still is to stiff and doesnt present a good debate style and Harper, who has the most to lose not that he's the leader in the polls, looked as if he could think for himself if he tried, very Bushesque.

I would predict the numbers after this debate will swing to more of an even race.
I thought the same thing about Martin's style. However, I'm aware of my biases, and so don't put a lot of stock into my impressions. I've also read comments tonight by some political analysts who say that Harper's Bush impression may be appealing to voters who are generally uninformed about his platform, which unfortunately, is probably the majority.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #82
Refugee

Local Time: 03:43 PM
ya just got through watching the national and they were pretty impressed with harper. What can you do....
Old 01-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #83
Blue Crack Distributor

I didn't find anything appealing about it, he creeped me the hell out.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:12 AM   #84
The Fly

Local Time: 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by snowbunny00774

I also believe that retailers may ever so slowly adjust prices upwards, as they know consumers are used to paying XX amount for an item. I don't trust that they won't try to pick up the difference for themselves. I don't expect the receipt for clothes I buy now, and clothes I buy a year from now to be any different.

I was working in retail when Australia got a GST. I spent the night before it came in changing pricing (a mammoth task!). I noticed that a lot of things went down in price (Coke, for example, went from $1.60 for a 600mL bottle to $1.40 or thereabouts). Within a year, prices had gone back up. Nowadays, you pay about $2.60 - and yet inflation remains low. And retailers still palm off excessive prices as 'because of the GST'.

I don't know why I wrote this. Just seeing the word GST irks me, because it is much more sensible than our old tax system but cops the blame for everything that is wrong in our country.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:01 AM   #85
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Otokonoko
Nowadays, you pay about $2.60 - and yet inflation remains low. And retailers still palm off excessive prices as 'because of the GST'.
"Inflation" is a scam. The Fed claims "low inflation" all the time, and, yet, USD $35 in 1982 is now worth $71 in 2005. Of course, all he cares about is beating down wages and deluding the top 1% into continuing to invest in Wall Street, not actually fighting currency devaluation.

Melon
Old 01-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Quote:
Dandy:...

You complain how we should just focus on the platform, i totally disagree. The platform is the most important issue in the election but the leader's values are important too. The leader you are voting for must have a level of honesty, respect. patriotism, and simple love for this country.

Martin has wanted to be PM all his life, that was his ultimate goal, and fair play to him. Its a loafty goal but a goal none the less. But I think Martin wanting to be PM has clouded his judgement on many issues. For example the outragous handgun ban. This ban would do nothing to stem the gun crimes happening in this country (and yes toronto isnt the only place where there are record murders). He is too oportunistic for my liking.

But to deny that we should not have an insight into the prosepective leaders of our country is nonsense.
i think you misread my post somewhat. i'm not saying we shouldn't have the integrity questions, but i do take issue with the fact that most of the campaigns are negatively focussing on what other leaders/parties want/have done, rather than advancing solid arguments for how they intend to go about running the country. i know there's going to be a bit of this in every election campaign, but when the discrediting and slandering take over the debates, there's clearly a lack of perspective on what's important and what's not. i'd like to see less petty bickering and more genuine debate.

i'm not particularly defending martin, either. that point just particularly irked me. frankly, i'm far more disturbed by harper wanting to go back and rehash the legality of same sex marriage than i am about martin's legitimate international business ventures.

unforgettablefoxfire: great take on the GST reduction issue. i agree completely.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

I think somebody slipped Harper a tranquilizer last night. He was creepy calm with that eerie smile on his face.

Apparently around 40% of the voters are undecided at this stage? Our only hope is that they end up voting for anyone but the Conservatives. I kind of doubt a majority because the Bloc will win a ton of seats in Quebec and I don't think that the Conservatives will sweep enough of Ontario. Toronto is a total lost cause for them, it's a question of how much of the 905 region they manage to pick up.

The thing is, Canadians won't tolerate a Conservative government for long, just like Ontario kicked out Mike Harris when he ran us into the ground. The problem is by that time the damage done is huge.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #88
The Fly

Crap, I missed the debate last night cause of dollar beer night...

While I disagree with the tories initial intentions to send troops to Iraq. I do believe we should increase military spending.

Another thing. Dont vote for your PM based on the PM himself. In fact I believe that should play a minimal role. While these guys will be the future ambassadors of our country, they will only say what the people below them say. That is, see who their advisors will be, see who will be working under them.

George Bush gets much more crap thrown on him than he deserves when guys like Cheney and Rumsfeld (back in the day) are the ones who should have faced the firing squad.

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 01-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #89
The Fly

Quote:
The thing is, Canadians won't tolerate a Conservative government for long, just like Ontario kicked out Mike Harris when he ran us into the ground. The problem is by that time the damage done is huge.
Harris did wonders for Ontario given that he was handed a plate with Bob Rae's feces on it.

Harris cut welfare rates by 20% and decreased provincial income taxes by 30%. He destabilized the teachers union which is far too powerful. Teachers in my opinion are overpaid and treat teaching youth more as a 'job' job than what it should be, a passion driven job. Not to mention they get 2 paid months off and a pension to die for. In 1997 teachers walked out for 3 weeks. For the love of learning? Bullshit.

Walkerton was dealt poorly in media spotlight and really wasn't a government issue as it was a regional issue. And more importantly concerned a lying water inspector.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, Harris did so many "wonders" for Ontario that the Conservatives are completely decimated in the province. Don't hear a peep out of them these days, because that's the amount of loathing the populace has for them.

It is rare to see that type of defeat.