Canada Votes 2006 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2006, 01:07 AM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Conservatives are scary and have hidden agendas.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:08 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Conservatives in Canada sure are, especially when they are run by the ilk of harper. Also when Canada is probably 65-70% liberal Conservatives seem very scary. The one thing an outsider must relize about Canada is that we have 4 party left of centre and one right or centre. The liberals, ndp, greens and bloc are are left of centre so the vote is split. If harper was out PM we'd be in Iraq, so to that end scary is a good word!

Old 01-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #33
The Fly

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Just for you non-conservatives out there, an 8 point lead means nothing.

Had the election been tomorrow, Liberals would still have won simply because many NDP'ers would vote liberal in the 'fear' of a conservative win.

Also, regardless of which government wins, it's likelygoing to be a minority which is bad news. Having a minority makes it extremely difficult for the party in power to execute its game plan. This results in zero progress in either direction.

I still don't understand why theres so little love for the conservatives. Admittedly I'd have preferred if there were more 'PC' cabinet ministers than 'alliance' but other than that i fail to see the major fear.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Privatization of Health care
Iraq
Corprate tax cuts
no support for labor
child care or lack there of

Those would be my top five
Old 01-09-2006, 03:31 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

When conservatives are elected women loose all reproductive rights and rape is made legal.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:42 AM
fuck right off with your rape comment.

you're not wanted in this thread, and you bring absolutely nothing to this discussion when you show up.

please don't close this thread, but please delete a_wanderer's ridiculous comments.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:18 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Iraq
Money wasted on Iraq (hello Americans)
Soldiers dead in Iraq

Shall I go on?

Apart from that, they are repealing the tax cuts that the Liberals gave to the lowest income earners (!!), giving vouchers to hockey moms for children's sports (as if this is going to benefit the lower classes in some way, haha), decreasing the GST which will help absolutely nobody except the billionaires who have billions to spend on a yearly basis. And as for the tax break the are repealing, good news for our low income earners - you'll have to pay it back! That's right, isn't that fabulous news to look forward to.

They will also push their anti-gay marriage agenda regardless of the fact that most Canadians disagree with them and that every other party represented in Parliament disagrees.

A_W - your comment is silly and not constructive. This was actually a reasonably good discussion thread. Whatever.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #38
The Fly

Fundamentally, lowering the GST helps someone who pulls in 10k a year and 10 million a year. It doesnt make a difference.

Also, the liberals are the ones pushing the corporate tax cuts this time around. Which is why I don't understand why everyone is so liberal and anti conservative on this issue.

Iraq, do you really think the conservatives will send soldiers there. Why would they do that given that they win this election by a small margin it would be foolish to shoot yourself in the foot like that.

Gay marriage. The conservatives made it clear that it will be a national vote to decide whether or not the current laws will be upheld. If your claim
Quote:
They will also push their anti-gay marriage agenda regardless of the fact that most Canadians disagree with them and that every other party represented in Parliament disagrees
is true then you shouldnt be worried. Most of Canada is still loosely tied to religious roots morally and I honestly believe that should there be an election, the vote would fall as 65% against the title of marriage.

Privatization. Check my link on my first post on this thread.

Child care. Liberals want to instate a system like there is in Quebec all over Canada. Ask any Quebecer who has their child in the 'liberal' child care system and see what they think. Fact of the matter is that theres no space (there are huge waiting lines), the quality is sub par and overall not effective. And this is in a province that receives almost double the funding in that sector than any other province.

My simple watered down belief in the conservative ideology is this.

Do you want to give your money to the government and let them decide how to spend it for you. OR do you want to keep that money and you personally decide how to spend it how you see fit. Less government is better government.

Finally, Canadas conservatives are nowhere near the US in terms of Right wing stance. Hypothetically, if our Conservatives were to run in the US they would be considered radical leftists, which is why any comparison of the US democrats or republicans with our Conservatives is irrelevant, like apples and oranges.

Cheers,
Aaron
Old 01-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

The national vote or referendum on gay marriage is a complete waste of taxpayer dollars.

Why do you support it since you seem so interested on keeping most/all of your hardearned money?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #40
The Fly

Permitting a change in federal law without consulting your population is a formidable display of ignorance.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #41
MacPhisto's serving wench

What difference does it make to me, to you if gays get married? Without sounding too apathetic here, I'm not gay. Let them do what they want.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #42
The Fly

I have nothing against what they do or do not. But I am against having a gay marriage in a church done by a pastor under the eyes of God.

If they figure out or organize another way to 'marry' then so be it. This is obviously the hot button issue of the election. But I'd like to keep this discussion on the more political side of things rather than the religious side if you catch my drift...

cheers,
Aaron
Old 01-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally posted by djfeelgood

First of all, Mulroney was at the helm during the most recent economic recession. You'd have to be a magician to find a government that was able to pull in a surplus. Put a man in the corner theres only so much he can do.

Conversely, Jean Chretien rode the largest economic boom bubble to ever occur. This is why the Liberals were able to eliminate as much debt as they did.

Unrelated but on a similar note, Bill Clinton did the same thing.
Think about it, how could a national figure get away with adultery in front of his entire nation. Only a time of exceptional optimism would cater to this.

Harris took over after Bob Rae steamrolled Ontarios coffers by offering redundant programs which did little to encourage economic growth. He increased welfare wages to the point where it was TOO comfortable to live on welfare, a problem that we still are trying to get rid of. Arguably, you could say he was dealt the same recession card as Mulroney, however the difference is that when in power, the NDP fortified their stereotype as irresponsible spenders.

I won't deny the recession, etc, but I dislike some of the more recent Conservative policies: GST, education cuts (resulting in the largest teacher strike in Canada, to date, 1997), Harris' placing blame on all governments but his own during Walkerton, and as yyou mentioned, the welfare crisis, the rise in homelessness that resulted from it, drop in revenues, rewriteen labour laws, and tax credits for parents who send their kids to private schools. I'm not saying the Liberals don't have their faults (quite frankly I'm furious with McGuinty cutting things like eye care), but those conservative liabilities lie a little to fresh in my memory.

Although the recession contributed, Mulroney's government was already slipping further into debt before the recession even began.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally posted by djfeelgood
I have nothing against what they do or do not. But I am against having a gay marriage in a church done by a pastor under the eyes of God.

If they figure out or organize another way to 'marry' then so be it. This is obviously the hot button issue of the election. But I'd like to keep this discussion on the more political side of things rather than the religious side if you catch my drift...
But isn't it a politcal issue now? It's a civil union, recognized federally (Civil Marriage Act). It's not about religion (unless you count the Metropolitan Community Church of Toronto). Why do you feel this law will impede upon the church? Assuming Catholicism, that't the Vatican's decision.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

The comment was a paraphrase from the 2004 US Election by Cameron Diaz, it was just illustrative of the paranoia presented about conservative politicians. The most amusing thing is the hyperbole presented in this thread, one would think that the election of a (minority) conservative government in Canada would cause the entire hemisphere to implode under the weight of evil

The demands for censorship by deleting posts also do a bang up job in showing how much respect some people have for free speech.

djfeelgood sterling effort defending the contrarian position.