Canada Votes 2006 - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2006, 03:47 PM   #166
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Are those quotes on Rick Mercer`s site all true??

As for polls, y'all should read the interview with the guy from the Strategic Counsel taken from today`s Globe and Mail. That guy (Greg something or other) is so obviously biaised in favour of the Tories. He worked for them in the late 70`s and early 80s.

If you even create the illusion of momentum for the Tories, then you`re going to have that "bandwagon effect". I certainly don`t trust a pollster who worked for one of the parties.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #167
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:16 PM
woah...

according to the latest SES poll out today, the conservatives are now up only 3 per cent and dropping fast.

that's a stark contrast the 18 point lead a certain poll conveyed yesterday.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #168
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
woah...

according to the latest SES poll out today, the conservatives are now up only 3 per cent and dropping fast.

that's a stark contrast the 18 point lead a certain poll conveyed yesterday.
Didn't something similar happen in the last election cycle? The conservatives start getting a lead where they might actually win an election, and then the majority leftists in Canada start reevaluating and eventually vote Liberal anyway?

I just really hope that if the Conservatives are to win and Harper becomes PM that he's only given a minority government. That will temper his party's zeal for bigotry, and he'll be forced to deal solely with economic issues.

Melon
Old 01-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #169
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I just really hope that if the Conservatives are to win and Harper becomes PM that he's only given a minority government. That will temper his party's zeal for bigotry, and he'll be forced to deal solely with economic issues.
Yes, he'll have to, because any suggestion of a social agenda will result in a roll call to bring down the government.

Which makes me wonder why they're still banging on about this same sex marriage referendum as if it's a winning idea.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #170
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Which makes me wonder why they're still banging on about this same sex marriage referendum as if it's a winning idea.
This is because a good number of contributors and even some MPs/candidates within the Conservative Party are from the fanatical Christian Right. If Harper dropped the issue, they'd kick a stink and probably try to bring down the party with them. This is what happens when you ally yourself with the devil to further your goals; the devil expects favors in return.

I think the only reason the party has fared so much better in the polls this time around is because Harper has generally skirted around social conservatism in his campaigning and mainly focused on an economic platform. Now whether it's a good economic platform should be up for debate. But it would be nice for a change to have an election that doesn't involve any degree of bigotry or fanaticism (even here in the U.S., it's a nice fantasy).

Melon
Old 01-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Well that seems like a reasonable answer except Harper really represents the constituency of the old Alliance party which merged with the Tories. And solid, old Conservatives don't support this agenda either. I know a few of them at my workplace - they are essentially interested in things like fiscal responsibility and do not support Harper's views. And unlike in the US where the fundamentalists mobilize the votes like mad, our fundamentalist population is small and not nearly as effective.

So while he may be preaching to the choir, it's only a small segment of his voters, and in provinces where he'd have won regardless.

In the end, it's probably empty talk, because I don't see him winning a majority and as a minority PM, if he brings this up, he'll get his ass booted post haste.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:59 PM   #172
The Fly

I'd definitely agree with you guys on that one. The 'alliance' element is far too strong within the new 'conservatives'. The Canadian Alliance was really a regional party and didn't represent the national ideals. The old PC party was far better suited for Canada as a whole. I believe most of Harper's cabinet is composed of former alliance members too.

As far as i'm concerned, the conservatives biggest weakness preventing them from cementing a win in this election, is Harper's strong personal views. Given the Liberal's poor performance littered with scandals, the Conservatives should have had this one in the bag.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #173
Refugee

Local Time: 07:16 PM
Lets face it the Libs have run the worst campaign in a long long time. I actually wouldnt mind a Harper Minority, only because the libs need a new focus and to come up with strong ideas for the future.

To the person who asked if those are real qoutes, they are!

And seriously is Mercer gay? And no it doesnt matter to me! i am 100% behind gay rights! But a guy at work and me got into a arguement and I didnt think he was gay, but he said (hes a newfie) that everone in NFLD knows he;s gay. So is HE!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #174
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:46 PM
I'm from Newfoundland, and Rick Mercer's sexual orientation has never come up in conversation.

I find it revealing that Harpur has been trying to reassure us that the courts, the Senate (yeah, right the Senate is a joke anyway) and other parts of the legislative will keep him in check. Why do they need to keep in check, what kind of crap is planning on doing that he needs to be kept in check? Scary position to take with a week to go in the election.

If Conservatives win, I won't cry about it but take a wait and see position. Hopefully, I won't be having to tell people I told you so as he implements regressive policies tarnishing our country.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:16 PM
i agree, it does seem just a tad pompous that harper's already talking like he's won the election. ah well, it's about time he started shooting himself in the foot again.

i see martin has now started with trying to scare us by telling us that a vote for the ndp is a vote for the conservatives. if he'd just stop with the pot shots and fear mongering, he'd fare a lot better.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:17 PM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:16 PM
The fear mongering has even progressed to the e-mails. Look at what I received in my inbox today:

One of the worst political campaigns I've seen. If I could actually vote (I'm not yet a Canadian citizen) I'd probably vote Liberal or NDP regardless. But still, I really think this has hurt the party's chances in a major way.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #177
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
The fear mongering has even progressed to the e-mails. Look at what I received in my inbox today:

One of the worst political campaigns I've seen. If I could actually vote (I'm not yet a Canadian citizen) I'd probably vote Liberal or NDP regardless. But still, I really think this has hurt the party's chances in a major way.

That email has a disturbingly American-style flavour. I actually had to size it up and look for spelling errors to convince myself that it’s real—which it appears to be.

Interesting how both the Conservatives and Liberals are suggesting that we should vote for them because of the failings of the other. That’s my kind of Canada! This is not exactly going to bring people out to the polls, especially young people. The last election had a record-low turnout…I think we’re about to sink even lower.

To quote a great band, “desperation is a tender trap.” It will get all parties in the end, because no matter who wins the election, the means in which it will be achieved is a breeding ground for apathy.

Canada is one of the greatest countries in the world (lame comment of the day, but I believe it to be true). It’s time for Ottawa to reflect that reality, not undermine it.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #178
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
And seriously is Mercer gay? And no it doesnt matter to me! i am 100% behind gay rights! But a guy at work and me got into a arguement and I didnt think he was gay, but he said (hes a newfie) that everone in NFLD knows he;s gay. So is HE!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Mercer

Quote:
During his press tour to promote the series [presumably RMMR], Mercer was outed as gay in the Globe and Mail newspaper. This was not by Mercer's own choice. In subsequent interviews, he has accepted that his sexuality is now on the public record, but he continues to insist on his right to keep his personal life as private as possible.
I've met him a handful of times, since my Canadian b/f used to work for his show. Nice guy. I didn't recognize him at first when I saw him without his suit...lol.

Melon
Old 01-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #179
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:16 PM

edit: this was in response to GG's charming e-mail forward thingy.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:53 PM   #180
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Mercer

I've met him a handful of times, since my Canadian b/f used to work for his show. Nice guy. I didn't recognize him at first when I saw him without his suit...lol.

Melon
He's one of the funniest people in the world. I really don't care about anybody's sexual orientation...he's right up there in my wishlist of people to have lunch with.