Canada Votes 2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
trevster2k said:
Anyone know anybody considering joining the military, I would tell them to hold up for a few years.

Oh I dunno, if Harper brings up committing troops to Iraq, we'll have roll call in the House in about 5 minutes flat.

Alright Trev...this is getting pretty crazy, the numbers change about 8 times as I type the post, so I'll leave you to it now.

I'll still be around to bitch about the results, though. :wink:

Now we get to know Americans feel when others ridicule their leader and the people who voted for him.

Bring it on. I will be joining the chorus.

anitram said:

Oh I dunno, if Harper brings up committing troops to Iraq, we'll have roll call in the House in about 5 minutes flat.

It isn't just Iraq, who the hell knows what he will commit to in the future?

But a minority government is not the worst case scenario, give the Conservatives enough rope to hang themselves. Remarkably, the Liberals haven't done too bad considering they have over a decade of crap for people to dump on. It is extremely difficult to maintain power for such a long time.

CBC just called it for the Conservatives.

What was shocking when was they showed a pic of Harper and Mansbridge said "He's the next Prime Minister of Canada".

I think I'm in shock.

Thank God it's a minority.

They muzzled their MPs and candidates during the election. After the victory expect the same ol' about abortion, gay marriage, Dubya ass kissing and so on from various wacko members of their caucus. The Liberals may have had one Carolyn Parrish, the Conservatives probably have 20.

I got a kick of the Conservative guy saying how Canadians how voting for hope and not fear, I think change is the actual reason but like someone said earlier, hmm, economy is smoking, unemployment is way down, dollar is high, inflation and interest rates are low, we need a change because?!?

Corruption is not an issue, the Conservatives will be deep in shit too, with patronage, and the awarding of contracts, etc. Many of these people are same ones who said they wouldn't take a pension from the government when they were in the Alliance.

Is it just me or is their like a huge divide between urban and rural people politically?

Newfoundland is lucky they signed that Offshore Revenue agreement with Martin when they did, cause all that region is getting from now on is the shit end of the stick.

DaveC said:
God damn. This guy keeps saying "Prime Minister Harper"...it sounds so gross.

:sick:

It rolls off the tongue terribly. :yuck:

Ah, how great it is to live in a region that our "leader" considers to be a "culture of defeat."

GibsonGirl said:

It rolls off the tongue terribly. :yuck:

Ah, how great it is to live in a region that our "leader" considers to be a "culture of defeat."

And he owes you nothing, well, not you Gib but the rest of Atlantic Canada. It will be like living in the 80's again. Nice!!

Albertans just got their second brass ring.

anitram said:
Thank God it's a minority.

They muzzled their MPs and candidates during the election. After the victory expect the same ol' about abortion, gay marriage, Dubya ass kissing and so on from various wacko members of their caucus. The Liberals may have had one Carolyn Parrish, the Conservatives probably have 20.

There is, at least, a silver lining. With a minority government, the most fanatical elements of the Conservative Party are hereby muted. Consider any talk of limiting abortion or ending gay marriage to be over. And, unless he wants a quickly toppled government, he'll have to compromise on his economic platform.

And, as they say, a minority government in Canada rarely lasts more than 18 months. After all, this last minority government held true to that rule. Hopefully, the Liberals will do some soul searching and come out stronger.

Melon

melon said:

There is, at least, a silver lining. With a minority government, the most fanatical elements of the Conservative Party are hereby muted. Consider any talk of limiting abortion or ending gay marriage to be over. And, unless he wants a quickly toppled government, he'll have to compromise on his economic platform.

And, as they say, a minority government in Canada rarely lasts more than 18 months. After all, this last minority government held true to that rule. Hopefully, the Liberals will do some soul searching and come out stronger.

Melon

Yes, good points melon, but PM Harpur, :shudders:

Micheal Ignafiac or how ever you spell it should be the next leader!

Watched his speech, very nice.

I think there are many stories to this election:

NDP gain 13 or more

Liberals hold over 100 seats

Gay marriage is here and will not be defeated!

BQ loss ground and dont come close to 50%

I like what someone said on CBC about how the Libs are a damn good oppistion party.

Duceppe made a huge strategic error by obsessing over Martin and the Liberals and the Conservative snuck in and stole seats which should have gone to the Bloc. You could tell in the last few days of the campaign, Duceppe started attacking Harper, but it was too late. Shortsighted of him.

Ignatieff held a lot of promise, then he suddenly got a lot of negative press because people saw him as a sandbagger. He's an incredibly well spoken guy (BA Toronto, MA Cambridge, PhD Harvard), held an incredibly prestigious Harvard Chair and I worry that's going to go over like a lead balloon with some areas of the country. Kerry was too smart for the South, and I guarantee you Alberta will probably puke at the notion of Ignatieff as PM.

i'm not sure what to say.

to be perfectly honest, i was prepared for way worse.

will martin step down?

Paul Martin is stepping down as leader of the Liberals. Let the leadership debate begin.:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom