Canada left out of Rebuliding of Iraq!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonoman

Refugee
Canada had been left of the list of 63 nations eligible to bid on contracts to re-build Iraq. The reason being:

"It's very simple. Our people risked their lives. Friendly coalition folks risked their lives, and therefore the contracting is going to reflect that, and that's what the U.S. taxpayers expect," Bush said.

But what about Canada's commitment of nearly 300 million to the Iraq war? That doesnt count. Most of the 63 nations on the list got on that list by saying they support the war. They gave no MEN or Money. Out of the 63 nations only a handful will be able to take on the loas of a large contract to rebuild, such as Britain, Japan, Italy, the Netherlands, Australia, South Korea and Poland.

Canada couldnt commit anymore troops because they had all available troops in Afganistan fighting with the US soldiers againist the war on terror. Canada was never for nor againist the war only that it said it would follow the UN ruling. It gave 300 million to the US for Iraq it commited troops in Afganistan and yet its been let down because of one little word.

Give me a break!

All I can do is reitterate to my Candaian friends that 500, 000 MORE OF US DID NOT VOTE FOR BUSH! :madspit:

Thanks, that is all.

SD

That's right, Sherry. All I can say is I didn't vote for Bush and don't plan to next year. Since Canada did give some sort of support for the Iraqi people I do not approve of this.

:hmm:
Did Canada give proportionately what it could of though.?
Reminds me of a spoiled demanding minimal contributing spouse.;)

2ndly-
Thats right 500,000 more voted for Gore and he lost the election:up::dance:

DB9

Well, diamond, you're in luck, because your HERO believes that we've contributed enough.

Latest news, according to the Prime Minister of Canada, from Canada.com:

''He thanked me for what we're doing in Afghanistan and for the offer of money in the reconstruction of Iraq,'' Chretien told a news conference Thursday.

''As for the news in the newspapers stating that Canada would be excluded from economic activities in Iraq, the president assured me that this was not the case, and that he would be taking action,'' Chretien said. ''And so I thanked him."

The United States announced this week that countries which did not support the U.S.-led war in Iraq last spring, including Canada, would not be allowed to bid on reconstruction contracts worth $18 billion.

But Chretien said Bush called Thursday and, ''he was telling me basically not to worry.''

The prime minister, who retires Friday, received the call before 8 a.m. at 24 Sussex Dr.

The president's exact words on the issue were: ''We are working to rectify the situation,'' said Chretien spokesman Stephen Hogue.

Ah but antrim you dont get the full story there.

It later came out that what Bush and Jean were talking about was sub-contracts. But they are still banned from making bids!

But we were thanked.

Oh and Diamond.

Canada gave 300 million to the US.
Now if we take that 300 million and put it into perspective from US terms, with the US havig 10-11 times the population and probably 12-13 times the econmoy we could peg that number at around 3 billion in US terms.

Is that not enough?

I challange you to go out and find how many countries put more then Canada into Iraq that is on that list of 63!

diamond said:
:hmm:
Did Canada give proportionately what it could of though.?
Reminds me of a spoiled demanding minimal contributing spouse.;)

Let me remind you, "diamond," that there are almost 30 million people in Canada versus almost 300 million people in the U.S. Add together the population of Michigan and Ohio alone, and you have 2/3 of the population of Canada.

If you are going to argue "proportion," keep that in mind.

Melon

melon said:

Let me remind you, "diamond," that there are almost 30 million people in Canada versus almost 300 million people in the U.S. Add together the population of Michigan and Ohio alone, and you have 2/3 of the population of Canada.

Melon

throw in a case of Molsen Golden and we call it even already:angry:

Thanks for cleaing that up about the sub contrats it is true we are still left out of the bidding process.

''What I'm saying is, in the expenditure of the taxpayers' money . . . the U.S. people, the taxpayers, understand why it makes sense for countries that risked lives to participate in the contracts in Iraq. It's very simple. Our people risked their lives, friendly coalition folks risked their lives and therefore the contracting is going to reflect that. George W. Bush''

Did George miss something here what did happen to the 300 million Canada has pledged to rebuild Iraq. maybe we need to throw in a case of Molson and a pecan pie for good measure. Ahh George you are not strengthining relations

P.S Godpseed all American, British and Canadian troops ..my heart to you..

Last edited:
Let Canada bid for the contracts. They are making a contribution, unlike France, Germany and Russia.

But if you want to talk about proportion, the USA is giving over 60 billion dollars of aid to Iraq. Since Canada is 1/10 the size of the USA as others have stated, they should be giving 6 Billion to help Iraq, not the much smaller figure of 300 million. In addition, continuing on the 1/10 idea, Canada should have 13,000 troops in Iraq.

But if you want to talk about proportion, the USA is giving over 60 billion dollars of aid to Iraq. Since Canada is 1/10 the size of the USA as others have stated, they should be giving 6 Billion to help Iraq, not the much smaller figure of 300 million. In addition, continuing on the 1/10 idea, Canada should have 13,000 troops in Iraq.

lets talk proportion of GDP comparitevly to the US, not 1/10. In that case I'd say we are doing our fair share in canada . As for the troops .. we had them allocated in Afghanstain don't forget

Although it would help Canadian business..... I just have one question.... How the poor Iraqis are going to pay this huge debt for rebuilding of the country? (I guess that's a rhetorical question and unfortunately we all know the answer.) I'm actually glad Canada is not involved in this to this point!

Allright:

GDP
US 10,416,818 million US dollars
Canada 715,812 million US dollars

So the US economy is 14.55 times bigger then Canada's.

If we mulitply the 300 million we donated by 14.55 we end up with 4.365 Billion dollars. Is this still not enough money. Sorry we werent willing to go into debt to support a war we didnt fully support. But we did support our neighbours, our friends, our collegues!

Again we apoligize for being so cheap!

I'm sorry Canada did not support overthrowing a dictator like Saddam. But thanks for the 300 million in aid after the overthrow.

Sherry,

This money was NOT provided until AFTER SADDAM was overthrown! Canada did not send troops or offer any support to the coalition members before or during the 3 week war in March/April.

Yes, the Iraqi people have 300 million dollars worth of development and reconstruction projects given to them by Canada.

Before and during the war, Canada was not sending any money to the Bush Administration or Iraq which at the time was controlled by Saddam.

I cant take your word for that as you are a) not Canadian, thus making you less familar with it b) Sting

Give me some documentation because i am sure they gae money at differnt intervals and i would need to see news reports. I'm sure you dont want to do this and that all right as i dont care anymore.

Bonoman,

If your so sure you gave money to the US government prior to April 14, 2003, the technical end of Major combat operations in Iraq by the Coalition, show me the documentation. After all its YOUR money!

I personally think it matters that the Canadians helped with Iraq. It's not like they told the Iraqis to go to hell. It could be argued that France, Germany and Russia did tell them to go to hell since they wouldn't help them with reconstruction. I felt like reconstruction was something you helped with no matter what your position on the war was, because the damage was a done deal and innocent people were suffering. Just my purple tuppence's worth.

Back
Top Bottom