Canada Doubling Contribution to the Global Fund - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 12:35 PM
Canada Doubling Contribution to the Global Fund

48 hours after the 100million Paul Martin pledged for an international initiative to boost AIDS treatment in developing countries.. He will be on hand in Ottawa at a Aids syposium where it will be announced Canada is doubling it's contribution to the Global Fund.. it will increase to $70-million for the 2005-06 fiscal year.Just about twice as much as the $25-million (U.S.) a year pledged for the past four years... This is a huge deal .. fantastic .. I don't care why the PM is doing it, don't care that people think Bono will be on hand as a publicty stunt for the election (very not true this is Bono's main drive the Global Fund and so he should be there).. All I care is that this is just great news.. I am so proud of the role Canada is taking on this.. I'm still not all together sure I will vote for Martin but have always admired his international comittments.. BRAVO MR MARTIN

As Stephen Lewis commented;
Quote:
"Look, I'm as cynical as they come. I'm prepared to be jaundiced," the former Ontario NDP leader said in an interview last night. "But we're fighting such a life-and-death struggle here that whatever prompts doing what they're doing is so important, it can be so valuable, I'm more than happy to credit it."

Old 05-12-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:35 PM
a very brave and necessary move

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 05-12-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Fantastic. It's so nice to be reading good news!!
Old 05-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Re: Canada Doubling Contribution to the Global Fund

Quote:
Originally posted by Katey
Canada is doubling it's contribution to the Global Fund.. it will increase to $70-million for the 2005-06 fiscal year.Just about twice as much as the $25-million (U.S.) a year pledged for the past four years...

I was worried for a bit after Bono's speech in November because nothing was happening. I'm glad that our PM has kept his word

This is great news!
Old 05-12-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 12:35 PM
ya it's actually been it the works.. but it honestly has not been in the media.. the light wore off when Bono left .. but people like Stephen Lewis and Richard Elliott,GTAG, McGill International Health Initiative etc. etc and all the NGO's and many people ordinary citizens.. have been working hard at this as well as alot of people you never hear about .. The Drug and Patent Act has been a big part of that to and on the go.. These people my hats off to them for really working hard to make this happen.. all the credit in the world..this didnt pop out of thin air it was a lot of effort and hard work and they will keep going..it doesnt stop here there is so much left to do

But I am still worried that the Canadian public are not supporting it like they should..even though we are currently doing more then the U.S they have better grassroots movement's it's just not on the minds of Canadians like it should be .. thats what worries me..cause it's going to take te citizens to carry this through and help lead the way.. don't let the spotlight fade again after Bono leave's keep the momentum going...
Old 05-13-2004, 04:23 AM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Well done
Old 05-13-2004, 07:49 AM   #7
The Fly

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Bravo to Canada and it's citizens. I would love to see my country (America) do the same! Imagine, President Bush, giving money to peoples whom so desperately need it and who, would gladly welcome us with open arms.