Canada - Cooler than the US?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the execution of the gun registry plan has been in a nightmare. i thought it was an alright policy idea-somewhat flawed in its intent to stop crimes since (as mentioned above) more than half of toronto's murders are committed with american guns that would not be registered.

of course there are many other ways to commit a crime other than murder with a gun. as far as the most violent crimes however, i dont think itll make an impact.

but yes the gun registry has experienced horrid cost over runs and a handful of provincial premiers are on hand as saying their police will not be going along with it.

nbcrusader said:

Why would criminals register their guns?

thats what im saying-this is why the registry is flawed. it wouldnt have much effect on violent crimes involving guns.

as an albertan, i would just like to say that not all of canada is so cool. there is one province over in the west, the 'texas of canada,' that's not quite so hip and progressive. that province; alberta. the very notion that something like 20% of albertans would consider separation is embarrasing... not as embarrasing though as everyone's favourite alcoholic homophobe, our premeir king ralph, that for some reason consistently remains popular despite several dumb-ass attempts at leadership.
if the rest of canada were a dockers-wearing, progressive, well-mannered person, we albertans would be the hick redneck cousin that no one would talk about.

"now put that on your website and smoke it" -premier ralph klein

::disclaimer-- i know not all albertans are like that. god knows i'm not. so don't bitch at me about how cool you or alberta is::

I felt the same way after watching it, too!

Scarletwine said:
:applaud: :heart: Canada!

After watching "Bowling for Colombine" even my 12 yr old thinks Canada is great.

I live less than 100 miles from the border, and I like my Canadian neighbors. If we ever leave our little Island, that's where we'll move- I don't feel good about being an American anymore.

I'm a newfie hailing form the little finger island in the east...I love Canada like nothing else but with a slight bit of caution.

Because for as long as newfoundland has been a part of Canada we have been the brunt of thousands of jokes and inane stereotypes....
one person once asked , " where do you park when you get on Newfoundland" (as if it was just a little amusement park)

Not only that, but the federal government continually rapes us and gives us the shaft...i.e. taking away our fishery and hence the livelyhood of thousands.

Our premier is trying to renegotiate the terms of union...to five us more contol over our resources...but Roger is an ass anyway.

There is actually widespread joke now...you'll see countless people waling around with "free Newfoundland" t-shirts on. Or "newofundland liberation army"...or " republic of newfoundland"...and it is becoming more popular to have the Republic of Newfoundland flag than the present one. (the republic flag is what we had before we joined canada, there are still a lot who think we should not have joined confederation).

with all this said, I don't think we'll seperate or anything just yet. Canada is a great place...it just "feels" right...BUT, I could invision such a liberation in the far future if things don't get better here.

Call me slow but I dont get some of the Canadian jokes and Canda bashing I see on certain websites :|

Basstrap I have a Newfoundland question:

L'Anse aux Meadows (sp??) is that in Newfoundland :der: Is this the place and its strongly linked to the Vikings?? Is there a Viking boat trip and little viking settlements?

I would :heart: to go to Canada ( especially Qu?bec and Toronto :love: ) It looks so pretty all the lakes and tall buildings, I need to start travelling I have never left Ireland!!!

And Canada's bands :up: Our Lady Peace, Alanis Morrisette.....I do know more than that....

:)

Oh I live in Belfast but during the summer I usually spend a lot of time in Drogheda/ Dublin :)

Where have you been to in Ireland?

L'anse aux meadows is thought to be the first viking settlement in north america...and it is indeed in newfoundland

Basstrap said:
L'anse aux meadows is thought to be the first viking settlement in north america...and it is indeed in newfoundland

Thank you Basstrap

:wave:

County Maigh Eo is really nice

Except I spent a week in Westport once...there wasnt much to do, Ireally didnt enjoy myself lol.

I think my Great - Granny lived in Charlestown before she got married, Im not sure though - my Granny always talks about it now

Westport isnt to bad, but a week might be a bit much. Charlestown is just a little town but i really like living in the country in Ireland. Its where Ireland is at its best.

Actually Liam and Noel (Oasis) granny lived in Charlestown. When she died a few years back they came for the funeral. They used to come to Charlestown every year to visit their granny.

Maybe when i head over in May well have a drink together!

Canada is cool indeed,quite cool today. I saw pics on the news and they had their jackets on.

Basstrap said:
I'm a newfie hailing form the little finger island in the east...I love Canada like nothing else but with a slight bit of caution.

Because for as long as newfoundland has been a part of Canada we have been the brunt of thousands of jokes and inane stereotypes....
one person once asked , " where do you park when you get on Newfoundland" (as if it was just a little amusement park)

Not only that, but the federal government continually rapes us and gives us the shaft...i.e. taking away our fishery and hence the livelyhood of thousands.

Our premier is trying to renegotiate the terms of union...to five us more contol over our resources...but Roger is an ass anyway.

There is actually widespread joke now...you'll see countless people waling around with "free Newfoundland" t-shirts on. Or "newofundland liberation army"...or " republic of newfoundland"...and it is becoming more popular to have the Republic of Newfoundland flag than the present one. (the republic flag is what we had before we joined canada, there are still a lot who think we should not have joined confederation).

with all this said, I don't think we'll seperate or anything just yet. Canada is a great place...it just "feels" right...BUT, I could invision such a liberation in the far future if things don't get better here.

i feel your pain. i'm a caper currently living in halifax soon to be moving to T.O. all the caper jokes we have to put up with, the rampant unemployment problem, etc.

our provincial government does nothing to aid cape breton in attracting new buinesses to start up there. their solution to everything is just build a new call centre, that'll keep the people happy. so what if it's not the usual minimum wage jobs that were there before. people don't last there very long cause it's annoying and stressful. then all they are left with are either going back to their minimum wage job at the local superstore or move to halifax or out west. with the all of unemployment money they are spending on the people their they should use it more constructively and get those people jobs.

most of canada is great. i don't think there is any other country i would want to live. it's just unfortunate that the people who live in the rural area of poorer provinces are getting the shaft. that's all.

:up: canada

Back
Top Bottom