Canada and the Plastic Bottle Ban - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:29 PM
Originally posted by VintagePunk

Re: unpasteurized milk (yes, it's a completely separate topic), my brother-in-law's family have been dairy farmers for probably over 50 years, and he grew up drinking raw milk. So have my niece and nephew. I've had it at their place as well - that's all they even have! - and as far as I know, no one's ever gotten ill. Perhaps in a case like that, one develops an immunity against the bacteria?
I did drink raw milk when my grandfather was still a farmer, either. It really tastes different from milk you get in the supermarket.
200 to 300 cases a year probably aren't that much, though it would be useful to have estimates of how many Americans drink raw milk on a regular basis.
But judging from these figures you are at a good chance of never getting ill from drinking it, just like it's the case with your brother-in-law's family.

I guess drinking raw milk in moderation should be workable, though of course you also one day could unfortunately grab that bad glass of milk.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:59 AM   #17
love, blood, life
Local Time: 07:29 AM
I imagine there's a huge difference in the chance of getting sick from drinking raw milk you get from your own cows and stick right in your own fridge and drinking raw milk that's been collected at a commercial dairy, transferred to a tanker truck and transported to a bottling facility, bottled, transported to a store (or a warehouse and then a store), then brought home and used.

If we each had a cow out in the back yard raw milk probably wouldn't be a huge problem (although I'm sure it still would be for some susceptible people). But the vast majority of people drink mass produced milk so raw milk does have a much greater potential to be a problem when the trail from producer to consumer is so much longer and more convoluted.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 07:29 AM
I swore off Nalgene bottles after I took one to Europe and noticed that after a day's use it starts to smell. I never had the feeling I could properly wash it either. Plus they are too short/bulky for my liking.

I'd recommend everyone go with a Sigg. Best bottles on the market.