Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rymyx

The Fly
Being a Canadian I am proud of how great this country is. I love the Americans too. I have to say everyone always slags them up here but whenever I go to the States I get treated like gold. They are a great people with a deceptive and asshat government. Not that ours is much better but I don't think anyone from south of Chicago should ever be president in that country. That aside Canada is in the process of decriminalizing pot , sort of. Anything under 30 grams in possession will not be charged as a criminal offence instead they will be giving you a ticket. Unless your walking down the street holding it in plain view , it wil be cool by the law.

The States is really pissed off about this. naturally with a larger population you have more people who will abuse marijuana than in Canada and this is a fucking handful for American law enforcement who already have enough to deal with.

What are your thoughts on MArijuana?

Should America loosen up too?

Am I an asshat?

I'm feelin so european'.

i :heart: one canadian in particular

rymyx said:
I don't think anyone from south of Chicago should ever be president in that country.

Yeah....there is a LOT of America underneath Chicago. Including Springfield, Illinois, where Abraham Lincoln was from. So I'm rather content letting people south of Chicago contend for the presidency.

That having been said.

The decriminalization of pot is trickier in the US than in Canada. And there has been a movement toward this for some time now. The way people are getting this moved is in two separate movements that are adjacent to one another.

The first movement is the legalization of hemp. It's insane that we don't grow it. It's a $200 billion industry annually, and yet the US won't grow it. The banning of hemp growth was brought about by two people/things. The first is William Randolph Hearst who at the time of the criminalization of growing hemp owned 80% of the newspapers in America - pretty influencial. The second -and prehaps the more pertinent- is the Dupont special interest group. At the time, they had the patent on polyester, a new material that was pliable and cheap to make. If hemp wasn't made illegal to grow, the Dupont company would have more competition, so it used its big business might to influence Washington.
Now, the argument is being made that if we grow hemp, it will be too hard to control because hemp and marijuana look exactly alike. Hemp, however, can be grown up to a density of 200-300 stalks per square meter. Marijuana, however, must be grown 4 feet apart, because only the female marijuana plant can be smoked, and if it is fertilized by males, the "smokability" is taken out of the plant. So, it seems like one could tell the difference rather easily.
The way to get hemp growth legalized is through states movements. A petition is put forward to ask the voters on the ballots if they want to legalize hemp growth in their state. Minnesota passed this I think 6 years ago. But South Dakota (a state that would benefit from hemp growth) voted it down over and over, it lost in this past election with 80% of voters voting against it. I think there are 12 states that have voted for the legalization of hemp growth. However, since it is a federal law that one can't grow hemp, individual states legalizing it does nothing. Once there are enough states that pass the legislation (26 or so), they can petition Congress saying that the majority of states wants it and we should make it legal to grow hemp. The states will probably ally with the EPA and the Department of the Interior to argue their point.

The argument that's being made adjacent to this is the movement for the decriminalization of marijuana. Right now, molesting a child, holding up a gas station (without a weapon), and stealing a car all have the same potential penalty as carrying X-amount (I don't know how much, since I'm not a dealer lol) of pot on you. The movement wants to make posession of marijuana just like a speeding ticket...you get the ticket, and the worst punishment is a night or two in jail - not a year or three in prison.
The decriminilization of pot has a long ways to go in its argument, because most people assimilate it to the legalization of pot, which it, by no means is.

I don't really care for marijuana, but who am I to deny someone else that? Marijuana is the least harmful of the illicit drugs, and so it seems odd that the government classifies it with heroin.

But I think we should make the legal drinking age 18 first. :uhoh:

Is that what you were looking for?

Our efforts should focus on reducing drug use among the population, not increasing it. There is no net benefit to the country as a whole if we legalize pot. We should focus our efforts on reducing consumption of alcohol and preventing accidents related to alcohol. I would support decriminalization of pot if the fines were stiff, and included losing benefits such as ones drivers liscence. The penalty should be much higher than a speeding ticket for it to be deterent to using pot.

canada is doing a wonderful thing, i believe.

i for one see this as a way of saying "it exists, people will always do it anyway."

thats fine. authorities have bigger fish to fry. like drunk drivers...

I think all of California is South of Chicago, as well as a good part of some other fine states.

And, I also know quite a few idoits who live not to far from the Canadian Border in my own state I wouldn't want any where NEAR the White House. Especially those who have smoked too much pot.

You're absolutley right.

But,.. no one south of Georgia, Oklahoma, east of Louisiani, west of Lousiana and even though i thought Clinton was good, please ban Alabama.

I can't really talk, all our Prime - Ministers up here come from Quebec, enough said.

rymyx said:
Being a Canadian I am proud of how great this country is. I love the Americans too. I have to say everyone always slags them up here but whenever I go to the States I get treated like gold.

Q: How can you spot a Canadian?

A: He's the guy who arrived two days ago with a $10 bill and a shirt and hasn't changed either.

rymyx said:
I don't think anyone from south of Chicago should ever be president in that country.

Am I an asshat?

Originally posted by rymyx
But,.. no one south of Georgia, Oklahoma, east of Louisiani, west of Lousiana and even though i thought Clinton was good, please ban Alabama.

I don't know what an "asshat" is but I can tell you that you are an asshole for the lowbrow prejudiced statements you made about people from Southern states. How stereotypical can you get? Your comments are juvenile and perhaps I am responding in kind but I am sick of the shit from people like you on these boards. You make this forum a miserable place to visit.

You don't even know what you are talking about; former President Clinton was born in Mississippi and raised in Arkansas, not Alabama. Former Vice President (and Presidential candidate) Gore is from Tennessee; former President and recent Noble Peace Prize recipient Jimmy Carter is from Georgia; surely you like their political platforms. Regardless, I guess "regional bigotry" is cool now as long as you are stereortyping people in largely "conservative" regions, right?

I've been thinking about posting a sarcastic poll thread in this forum, "Should conservative be allowed to vote?" I figure some people would inevitably vote "no" and I have no doubt you would be one of those people.

Why don't you go burn one down and come share some more of your HIGH and mighty political viewpoints with us?

~U2Alabama

Ok Bama why dont you go fucking cry. I toke it as a joke. But really the only joke here is your post. And i would like any Mod here to put a warning againist Bama for calling names (asshole). Personal attacks should not be used!!! Come on you've been here long enough get with it!

And now that thats said, WEED.

I smoke sometimes.

Sting you said that marjuana use would increase use but really that isnt exactly true. Today i was watching the news and they had a special about the Dutch and legal weed. Since the passing of the law hard drug use has gone down.

Some of the stats were this:

Teenagers who say they have tried weed:
Dutch 27%
US 41%

Hard drug users amoung 16-25
Was 9.9%
Now 3.2%

I would think its working pretty well. And if the USA doesnt want weed in their country they should be supporting this law because this now frees up alot of time and effort to go after the 8 Billion dollar a year industry BC does on weed. 7 Bilion is going south. And it is the best(strongest) in the world!!!

I watched 3 friends fail out of high school because of pot addiction, and the ones who barely scraped by are either sitting at home thinking of where more pot will be coming from or at college wasting their parents' money not learning but smoking pot all the time.

I doubt that if pot was legalized they magically become responsible.

Seriously....

It is ok to make stereotypical comments about people from the South?

Why?

If we were to make stereotypical comments about

Jews, Muslims, Blacks ect.........

we would be put in their place on this board. It seems it must be OK to make comments when it is a place where Conservative, White, Republicans come from.

BAMA, you have every right to feel slighted by these very offensive comments.

Now, being Polish, I will continue to make my lunch....by pounding on this quarter in front of me (Polish quarter pounder...hehehe)

Peace

I know that when alcohol became legal after prohibition back in the 30s? in the USA, alcohol consumption by Americans jumped 300%! There is the potential that the same thing could happen if Pot is legalized. That would not be in the interest of the country if it did. But the information from the Netherlands is interesting.

Dreadsox said:
Seriously....

It is ok to make stereotypical comments about people from the South?

Why?

If we were to make stereotypical comments about

Jews, Muslims, Blacks ect.........

we would be put in their place on this board. It seems it must be OK to make comments when it is a place where Conservative, White, Republicans come from.

BAMA, you have every right to feel slighted by these very offensive comments.

Now, being Polish, I will continue to make my lunch....by pounding on this quarter in front of me (Polish quarter pounder...hehehe)

Peace

IMHO, the specific comment being made about the ethnic group/religious group/whatever is more important than the actual group being slagged.

I think the Canadian joke I posted was relatively innocuous, though if anyone seriously objects then I will retract it without complaint.

But regarding the comment "no one from the South should be President," a natural inference (whether it was originally intended or not) is that Southerners are all fundamentalists/racists/etc. So I'm not surprised that Bama took such violent offense at the comment.

rymyx if you want to debate pot resurrect an old thread or start a new one without sidetracking and purposely pissing people off. I thought you were tongue in cheek, but perhaps it is just that some missed it, I was wrong, or perhaps people are just looking for proof their is all this differential treatment in here. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom