Canada - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-15-2001, 07:53 PM   #1
Kid A
 
The Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 5,271
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Canada

no Scott Stevens or Jason Arnott on the Olympic team???

no wonder you haven't won the gold medal since 1952

__________________

__________________
The Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 08:34 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
no Scott Stevens or Jason Arnott on the Olympic team???

no wonder you haven't won the gold medal since 1952

those guys aren't on 'cause we're going with a more offensive team. the ommissions i feel should be there are defencman bryan mccabe and forward joe thornton.

------------------
against smileys
__________________

__________________
kobayashi is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 08:48 PM   #3
Kid A
 
The Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 5,271
Local Time: 08:21 AM
yeah, my point exactly
__________________
The Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 09:51 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 01:21 PM
I think the main reason Canada hasn't won the gold medal since '52 is because only now (starting in '98) are NHL players allowed to participate. For the longest time, the best Canadian players could never play in the olympics, because they were in the NHL. During that time, the Russians (who always had players who were good enough to play in the NHL, but weren't allowed to) could go in and clean house. If the olympic commitee had allowed NHL players back in the 80s, for example, Canada would have cleaned up year after year, after year. With Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, Messier, Coffee, Fuhr, Howerchuck, Roy, Anderson, Yzerman, etc, etc, all that their peaks, Canada would have been unstoppable. I mean, Team Canada '87 (Canada Cup) was so strong they actually had to CUT Yzerman and Wendal Clark!! That just tells you something right there. Sorry for the rampage...but just thought that point needed to be clarified.

As for this year's team, at least Bobby Clark isn't in charge...(yeah, let's not give the league's all-time great the "C" just so my own NHL team might benefit from giving it to Lindros. The word insult springs to mind). Hopefully this year they'll actually know who to put in a shootout situation (yeah, let's not make the same mistake again of putting a defensman out there who never gets breakaways, and keeping the all-time goal scorer on the bench. Disgraceful...). Again, I apologize, hehe.

------------------
The Tempest
__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:07 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:

As for this year's team, at least Bobby Clark isn't in charge...(yeah, let's not give the league's all-time great the "C" just so my own NHL team might benefit from giving it to Lindros. The word insult springs to mind). Hopefully this year they'll actually know who to put in a shootout situation (yeah, let's not make the same mistake again of putting a defensman out there who never gets breakaways, and keeping the all-time goal scorer on the bench. Disgraceful...). Again, I apologize, hehe.

I thought Dominik Hasek stopped all 5 shots in the shootout against Canada, no?
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:15 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Yes, Hasek did stop all 5 shooters. That's my point. If Canada had actually thought about who they wanted to shoot *beforehand*, they might have actaully gotten somewhere. By putting Bourque out on a breakaway shootout, and keeping Gretzky on the bench, they really did themselves no favours.

------------------
The Tempest
__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:34 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Yes, Hasek did stop all 5 shooters. That's my point. If Canada had actually thought about who they wanted to shoot *beforehand*, they might have actaully gotten somewhere. By putting Bourque out on a breakaway shootout, and keeping Gretzky on the bench, they really did themselves no favours.

Ooh, now you're dissing Boston and the Edge's favorite hockey player. Not cool.

And didn't Wayne Gretzky have a reputation for being a, well, less than stellar penalty shooter?
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:38 PM   #8
Kid A
 
The Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 5,271
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Oh Canada has too many excuses
__________________
The Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:41 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
yeah, my point exactly
okay, well if that's your point that's great. the offence is why canada should win the gold this year. curtis joseph is playing better than any other goalie right now and with that combination i think they are gonna win.

------------------
against smileys
__________________
kobayashi is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:44 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
Ooh, now you're dissing Boston and the Edge's favorite hockey player. Not cool.

And didn't Wayne Gretzky have a reputation for being a, well, less than stellar penalty shooter?
gretzky did have such a reputation yes and the coach's decision was based on who his goalies told him were the best threats on a penalty shot. but i would be very surprised if ray bourque was considered within the top 5 on the team for penalty shots.

------------------
against smileys
__________________
kobayashi is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:46 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
gretzky did have such a reputation yes and the coach's decision was based on who his goalies told him were the best threats on a penalty shot. but i would be very surprised if ray bourque was considered within the top 5 on the team for penalty shots.

Yeah, I suppose.

I think if I were Ray Bourque, I'd just shoot from 40 feet away. Doesn't he always win the accuracy competition at the NHL All-Star skills competition?
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:51 PM   #12
Kid A
 
The Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 5,271
Local Time: 08:21 AM
I have heard all of this before

I hope Canada does win (if the USA doesn't) and I think Canada will win, I just wanted to start shit, and I'm glad Stevens and Arnott arent playing in the Olympics because they need the rest

__________________
The Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 10:59 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
kobayashi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: the ether
Posts: 5,142
Local Time: 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I have heard all of this before

I hope Canada does win (if the USA doesn't) and I think Canada will win, I just wanted to start shit, and I'm glad Stevens and Arnott arent playing in the Olympics because they need the rest

you're right. none of this really matters for another couple of months.
right now it's all 'bout my maple leafs trouncing everyone in the league-look out detroit!

------------------
against smileys
__________________
kobayashi is offline  
Old 12-15-2001, 11:18 PM   #14
Kid A
 
The Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Holy Roman Empire
Posts: 5,271
Local Time: 08:21 AM
how is Mogilny playing? the Devils sure miss him, his abscence has made Scott Gomez virtually ineffective (since he's a playmaker and has no one to set-up anymore)
__________________
The Wanderer is offline  
Old 12-16-2001, 01:12 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Michael Griffiths's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Playa Del Carmen, Mexico
Posts: 3,925
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
And didn't Wayne Gretzky have a reputation for being a, well, less than stellar penalty shooter?
In Gretzky's early years, he used to miss on breakaways all the time, but by the mid 80s he was one of the league's best (you don't score over 70 goals a season -- including scoring 92 and 87 -- for 5 straight years unless you're good on breakaways). I've rarely seen Gretzky miss on breakaways in his later years (in fact, he barely got breakaways in his years with the Rangers at the end of his career, but when he did he scored almost everytime).

But that's not the point here, anyway. The point is, the shootout is a clutch situation, and there has never been a better clutch player than Gretzky. He's always pulled the rabbit out of the hat when he's had to -- given the opportunity. It's too bad he was denied the opportunity in '98, because I truly believe he would have pulled the rabbit out of the hat -- again.

As for Mogilney, I have no idea how he's doing. I haven't really followed hockey this year (don't have cable right now). I believe he was way better on the Devils, though. Too bad to hear about Gomez. That kid is a pretty incredible hockey player.


------------------
The Tempest
__________________

__________________
Michael Griffiths is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com