Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
Sorry, this is my last post (I really must go to bed)! As for the salary cap idea, it would never work unless it was for the entire NHL, as players would do their best to play in the US. Then you'd really have no competition left. I do agree with you that hockey players (Canadian or otherwise) are extremely greedy. Many (not all) are also spoiled rich kids. I see many of them at work everyday, and theres this attitude that they generally have. I hope Donald Brashear isn't a U2 fan, because if he reads this, I'm toast! (Now there's a phrase I haven't used since high school...)

wow you guys stayed up all night talkin' 'bout this?

i would think what you observe in hockey players is what a fair amount of professional athletes are like. keep in mind though, there are most definetely exceptions.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
anyway, maybe if Canadian players werent so greedy, there would be a salary cap in place and Canadian-based teams could be more competitive (though Toronto never had any trouble spending the big $$$ on free agents, and we were talking about Toronto first and foremost)

i think that's a little bit of a generalization. canadian players are no more greedy than american's or vice versa. more of the nhl's stars happen to be canadian than any other nationality however.
toronto and montreal are the only canadian based teams that don't recieve assitance packages from the NHL owners and obviously both manage to do alright inspite of the high dollar but then again toronto is, supposedly, the second highest ticket in all of pro sports in NA. it's exciting to see edmonton and calgary where they are right now however.

------------------
against smileys

we all know Canadians are the greediest people on earth, so of course that extends to the NHL, many players from other countries play for free, just because they love the game, whilst Canadian players like Jaromir Jagr and Sergei Federov demand huge salaries that cripple the salary scale for the rest of the league, leaving most American and European players penny-less and on the verge of starvation
frown.gif

Just like to say that here in edmonton we have a total of 39 owners. Well thats more owners in one team then American owners in the whole league. And the porblem with the league is the owners cave everytime a player wants more. PUT YOUR FUCKIN FOOT DOWN!

Secondly the oilers of the 80's are the best team EVER. IMHO. And when Pocklington did sell Wayne the oilers still won the cup that year. Weird eh. Oh ya but if they had drug testing in the NHl in the 80's there would be no Oilers. Because they were ALL coke heads. Especially Mess, Fuhr and Gretz.

And lastly the Oly team is great they got grinder Smyth. Big Lindros. Pesky Fleury, Cujo. And thank god Stevens didnt get on the team he is dirty and really not the best defencemen in the league.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

it's amazing when people say that Stevens is a dirty player, because the majority of people who play the game say he is not -- that in fact he is one of the cleanest hitters ever, great technique, etc... now if you want to say he is relentless and has no mercy, well maybe that's true... he's no different than someone like Mark Messier or Esa Tikannen

if you want to point your finger at a Devils player who is dirty, I will admit that Bobby Holik fits that billing, but no way in hell is Stevens a dirty player

and as for him not being on Team Canada, the fact is Eric Lindros has and always will be a dirty player, and let's not even talk about Eddie Belfour and his antics of last year

the real reason Stevens isnt on the Olympic Team is because he's having a sub-par year, as it's very conceivable the 37-year old's game has slipped a notch

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 12-16-2001).]

Okay, Wanderer, now I know you're just trying to stir shit up, becuase I'm sure even you know that Jagr and Fedorov aren't Canadian.
wink.gif

And Bonoman,

Sorry, but Wayne has NEVER tried Coke. Some things you just shouldn't believe, you know? Yeah, yeah, I know the story: you know someone who says he knows someone who was at a party and yada yada... I've heard that *some* of the Oilers were into Coke too (not naming any names, of course), but Gretzky? Come on! Give your head a shake...The guy is Mr. Old School himself. I've read stories that he didn't even take Asperin to relieve pain because of various reasons. Just because you've heard stories about some of the Oilers, doesn't mean it means everyone on the team, and especially a guy like Gretzky. You don't win 8 MVP's and 8 scoring titles in a row if you've got a drug problem. Just doesn't work that way.

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 12-16-2001).]

Grant Fuhr was a cokehead, I never heard anything about the rest of the team, and I don't believe any rumours about Gretzky being a cokehead, I just don't see it, sorry

we all know Canadians are the greediest people on earth, so of course that extends to the NHL, many players from other countries play for free, just because they love the game, whilst Canadian players like Jaromir Jagr and Sergei Federov demand huge salaries that cripple the salary scale for the rest of the league, leaving most American and European players penny-less and on the verge of starvation
frown.gif

HAHAHA CRAIG!!!!!!!
I'm dying here, laughing so hard!!!

And I agree with Michael - it's 24 CUPS you loser!!!

And Mexico city??? lol@at that, too!

Mark Messier was a huge cokehead. It was found out he went to drug re-hab a few times. And he is what maybe top 10 players ever. I have heard many stories i could give u one but i dont fell like argueing over it.

Oh ya. Mike Comrie, if anyone knows who he is, signed a deal worth something like 9 million if he reachs all his insentives. He is a Edmonton boy. He signed this deal Dec 29 2000. If he had waited till 2001 he could of went Anywhere. He signed here because he was a stick boy here he grew up here and he doesnt need money. If anyone has ever heard of The Brick. Ya. His dad owns it. I think his dad is worth 350 million!!! And for a person who probably grew up with many things and grew up easy i give him credit.

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Bonoman,

Yeah, I've heard coke related stories of Messier, Anderson, Coffey, but NEVER of Gretzky. So why, then, would you mention his name in that context? Remember, rumours aren't always true. People love to talk about others, and especially love to tear successful people down to their levels.

------------------
The Tempest

no Scott Stevens or Jason Arnott on the Olympic team???

no wonder you haven't won the gold medal since 1952

Yeah, but we don't have players that brakes and sacages everything on their staterooms cos they lost, nah nah nah naaaahhh ! In fact, we don't have players... I don't like the idea of sending NHL players to the olympics.

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : <A HREF="http://www.unesco.org

?Je" TARGET=_blank>www.unesco.org

?Je</A> suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me d?fendrai...?
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

Originally posted by Holy John:

Yeah, but we don't have players that brakes and sacages everything on their staterooms cos they lost, nah nah nah naaaahhh ! In fact, we don't have players... I don't like the idea of sending NHL players to the olympics.

It was only 3 of the US players who trashed the rooms at the 1998 Olympics. They never owned up to it, and the entire team adopted the somewhat dubious strategy of not revealing the culprits and thus inviting blame upon them all. The captain of the team, Chris Chelios, even footed the repair bill himself.

what do you mean you "don't have players" that statement made no sense, Holy John, Canada has been sending guys like Sean Burke and Eric Lindros to the Olympics prior to 1998...

This is the best frickin' thread I have read in a long time! Boys and their hockey. Actually I am a huge hockey fan, but haven't been following it much lately.

Ok, continue on...

Oh! But I do have to add my 2 cents regarding the Olympics... I do not believe that professional hockey players or professional players of any sort for that matter belong in the Olympics. The Olympics are about amateur athletes and should remain that way. Unfortunately times have changed and the millions they make just isn't enough anymore, they gotta steal the Gold out of the little guys hands.

Ok... continue...
biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Originally posted by Angel:
This is the best frickin' thread I have read in a long time! Boys and their hockey. Actually I am a huge hockey fan, but haven't been following it much lately.

Ok, continue on...

Oh! But I do have to add my 2 cents regarding the Olympics... I do not believe that professional hockey players or professional players of any sort for that matter belong in the Olympics. The Olympics are about amateur athletes and should remain that way. Unfortunately times have changed and the millions they make just isn't enough anymore, they gotta steal the Gold out of the little guys hands.

Ok... continue...
biggrin.gif

The Red Army hockey team can hardly be considered an amateur team; they were subsidized by the Soviet government. The same probably holds for a lot of "amateur" athletes before 1992.

Now, if you want to say that athletes in major professional leagues are jerks and have huge egos and should therefore be excluded from Olympic play, then go ahead and say so, but that's a different topic entirely.

Originally posted by speedracer:
The Red Army hockey team can hardly be considered an amateur team; they were subsidized by the Soviet government. The same probably holds for a lot of "amateur" athletes before 1992.

I am aware of this and agree with you, I am just saying that the Olympics used to be about the amateur athlete. Here was an institution for many who may not otherwise make it into the professional arena, but times have changed. And yeah, countries like Russia and others who aren't part of professional hockey leagues etc... have always competed in the Olympics at a professional level. I just simply disagree with this practise and now to compete fairly, NA has jumped on board and yeah, I think professional athletes are greedy $%@^$!#!
mad.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Originally posted by Angel:
I am just saying that the Olympics used to be about the amateur athlete.

this is before coke was invited.

------------------
we are no closer than we were yesterday.

Originally posted by bonoman:
Oh ya but if they had drug testing in the NHl in the 80's there would be no Oilers. Because they were ALL coke heads. Especially Mess, Fuhr and Gretz.

i would like to know if you heard this from a reputable source?
the sports illustrated story that originally broke this 'scandal' did not name gretzky at all.

yes it is refreshing to see comrie do what he did. but, imo, we have no right to blame or criticize any player for attempting to get their market value. as long as someone is willing to pay them that much. having said that, sense should come over the nhlpa and owners and agree on some sort of constraining system before the situation gets out of hand.

------------------
we are no closer than we were yesterday.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
this is before coke was invited.

Whatever. You guys are impossible. Resume manly talk, this girl has better things to do.

I retract my Grtezky statement. Sorry. Uncalled for.

Market value?

Some players nowadays can hold a team hostage. I do agree it is the owners and the players doing wrong but money talks right!

In 2004 the collective bargaining talks will talk and most likely the NHL will go on strikes. The only way teams like Edm, CGY, OTT and others will make it past the 2005 season is if either a salary cap is installed or the currency problem is fixed. In canada all players are paid in American dollars. So they are getting pretty much double in Canadain. 10 million a season for players is ridiculous. This sport is probably the lowest in revenue and TV ratings in NA, behind Football, Basketball and Baseball. The other sports make tons more. They should get paid market value but market value in my opinon is nowhere near 10 mill a season. We all better start taping games now because when 2004 comes around there wont be a season and that will be hurting a sport that needs all the attention it can get.

Personally i think the problem is in the US. Where rich owners can go into places like Tampa and Carolina Anahiem and buy teams with no support from the community.

I kid you not americans hockey is life for many up here and without a team your city is lost without it. Remember Winnipeg? ya i thought u didnt.

------------------

Back
Top Bottom