Can you recognize Evil? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:17 AM
Can you recognize Evil?

There's been a lot the past few days with the new Star Wars movie about Darth and the dark side.

But the truth of the matter...in real life.....can one truly recognize evil. Let's face it face-to-face...evil is insidious...oftentimes unseen...it creeps upon us like a fog which rolls upon shore....it is hidden until too late it's known.

What are your opinions.......can you instantly recognize evil and do you even know what evil really is? Or do you even care it exists at all?

Old 05-20-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 05:17 AM
Is Darth Vader truly evil? I recently saw an interview with George Lucas where he describe Anakin's path to the darkside as a similingly legitiment move in his own eyes (Anakin's). People makes decisions everyday for good reasons (perhaps selfish, but always good reasons), and it's highly unlikely there's a pure evil in this world. Yin and Yang, baby...YIN AND YANG

Can we see Ultimate Evil? Yes, but it's a subjective thing. I can say George Bush is evil, and I can also say Osama Bin Ladin is evil, but are they either? Both teams are fighting for their side, and screw the other camp if they should make progress.

The question is then, 'What's best for everyone"?

Can we realistically answer that? All actions affect us differently.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

It does seem like alot of the evil in this world is politicians and more specifically fanatical politicians. George Bush's brand of Christianity isn't mine, and bin Laden is a
Old 05-20-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yes, Evil is bald, wears a gray suit and always points his pinky up to his mouth.

Seriously, evil is anything that goes against God's will. Yes, sometimes it's not as obvious as other times. It's source is the devil, however it's carried out by us.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
Seriously, evil is anything that goes against God's will. Yes, sometimes it's not as obvious as other times. It's source is the devil, however it's carried out by us.
Yes, for Christians, evil is recognized by a knowledge of Scripture and the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

Evil is seductive and alluring. Thus, it is not easily recognized by mere appearences.

Old 05-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"I have one request . . . and that is to have sharks with freaking lazer beams attached to their heads."
Old 05-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:17 PM
In all seriousness...yes I do believe that one can encounter someone or something that appears to be the best thing ever, but later, turns out to have been *drama-alert* : evil in disguise.

Speaking out of personal experience, because that's all I've got, I can say I had 1 experience like this and it still baffles me but I did learn so much from it.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Satan's a tricky bastard, isn't he?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:17 PM
Yes I think that evil can be reciognised, not always to be sure but there are times and events where it is.

Darth Vader is evil, Anakin Skywalker however is not. I would consider them to be seperate individuals, one the twisted shadow of the other.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
Refugee

There's always a saying that I like and that is:

In order to capture the dragon, you have to be the dragon. {In order to understand evil....you have to experience evil}.

Thank you for all your opinions........

Old 05-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

In order to kill the dragon, you must be the bravest champion in all the land.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:17 AM
I think evil comes in many forms none of which seen by the naked eye. Evil, like NBC said is seductive. If it's in human form it doen't come in horns and a tail but a very attractive man or woman. I don't believe any human to be pure evil, for everyone has their "Anakin".

If you claim to have never seen the devil face to face, you're probably running by his side.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The darkest form of evil is the form that doesn't recognize its own darkness. If we go on pure subjectivity, Hitler didn't think he was evil -- he saw a world that had significant problems, made judgments about what he assumed the world needed, and then developed a Solution based on that need. Mind you, it doesn't make what he did any less evil.

We hesitate to call evil as such -- or worse, to use "they don't think what they're doing is wrong" as an excuse or justification -- to our own detriment. I frequently have such conversations with friends, and these days people say more and more, "Well sure, but haven't you ever thought about killing an enemy/stealing from a store/cheating on a loved one/lying about an exam" -- as an excuse to say, "How can you judge?" In my mind, the dark side of humanity common to all is hardly an excuse not to call something what it is and do something about it.

All it takes for evil to exist is for good men to do nothing.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:29 PM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977

All it takes for evil to exist is for good men to do nothing.
I love that!!! Now how that gets executed is something else entirely.

What it really comes down to is that somethings aren't absolute. Actually...most things aren't absolute.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:49 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

And that view that there are no absolutes extends to a view that there is no good and evil and that there is nothing good to defend. It is that grey pit of moral relativism that really enables evil to prosper.