Can you recognize Evil? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2005, 10:02 PM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
And that view that there are no absolutes extends to a view that there is no good and evil and that there is nothing good to defend. It is that grey pit of moral relativism that really enables evil to prosper.
Well there are no absolutes. One can say killing another is wrong. But what about self defense or war? Does justification dissqualify it as evil? In that case, someone who's fighting against us, not so much for the cause but for their land, rights, etc does that make them evil?

You may say the view that there are no absolutes allows evil to prosper, but I say the idea that there are absolutes brings birth to evil. Admitting there are no absolutes allow those of different beliefs to coexist.

If absolutionism took over all but the largest group would be wiped out. Not to get personal but you would be part of the extinct.

As naive as it may sound, Live was right in their song 'The Beauty of Grey".

Old 05-20-2005, 10:09 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:04 PM
No I would agree that there are no absolutes, but when people take that view and extend it to the view that there is no difference it becomes an issue.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #18
The Fly

Local Time: 09:04 AM
Evil is easy to recognize. Evil is anyone who acts extremely, out of hatred or fear without caring about the consequence.

Get it right, there's no blood thicker than ink.

The situation in Iraq is almost 20,000 times worse than Columbine High School in the # of deaths, yet Columbine has metal detectors, and Iraq has more US soldiers than Iraqi police, pretty f'd up really. But they're only Arabs right, not worthy of common human dignities? Plus the US soldiers don't all have adequate equipment, but that's alright, by God' graces they will deflect the Arab's weapons.

From what I've heard, we all bleed the same color blood and we're all the same inside. I guess that doesn't always matter to some since we sometimes look different, speak different languages and even believe in different gods. The rest of the world is wrong and 60% of America is right, yeah right.

Outside, it's America...america.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Can you recognise Evil?

Well I can but no one else seems able to.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:31 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No I would agree that there are no absolutes, but when people take that view and extend it to the view that there is no difference it becomes an issue.
I agree. But...whereas there is a beauty in grey there is also a danger.

We live in a world of grey, we can't deny that, many want to change that and create a world of black and white, I don't think that can ever be done.

So where do we draw the line?

The problem lies in the fact that one group consider's one man's doing a sin as the other group sees it as their life. We see it in the micro and macro. War has never been about the absolute, it never has and it never will. There is always some deception and/or political gain behind it.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:36 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

And my post above was just a joke. But not really, as all too many people really do believe the very thing I posted. Well, they don't believe I, indra, can recognise evil. Rather all too may people think that they, and only they can recognise evil. And anyone who disagrees with them is, yep, you guessed it -- Evil.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:37 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by datatyme
Evil is easy to recognize. Evil is anyone who acts extremely, out of hatred or fear without caring about the consequence.

What about those that just hint? They hint over periods of time? They aren't extreme but may breed extremism in the future. They speak half truths but modify the rest in order to make you question the what's true.

Believe me it's not always extremism. It's the subtle that will sometimes take over, and hatred and fear can often be disguised as patriotism or faith.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

What about those that just hint? They hint over periods of time? They aren't extreme but may breed extremism in the future. They speak half truths but modify the rest in order to make you question the what's true.

Believe me it's not always extremism. It's the subtle that will sometimes take over, and hatred and fear can often be disguised as patriotism or faith.
That's the much more insidious evil.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by datatyme

Get it right, there's no blood thicker than ink.

The situation in Iraq is almost 20,000 times worse than Columbine High School in the # of deaths
What the? 13 people killed so we have 260,000 Iraqi's ~ that figure is laughable. And as for the dignity of the Iraqi people, what of those that felt that they should have been left to suffer under Saddam because their culture could not accept things like liberty and democracy.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:46 AM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Pondering :
I think the evil we experience outside of us, around us, is at times recognized or not, can take you by surprise or you see coming from a mile away...and that leaves us confused sometimes?

Why?
Because I think whether or not you recognize evil at any given time, is a reflection of where you are in your own state of mind. The evil vs. good we see around us, can easily be internalized. The more we are tuning into the "evil" side of our minds and act accordingly, the less we recognize it as such outside of us and, like another poster here wrote, are running by its side.

(sorry for any spelling errors, english is not my native language and I'm not particulary focussed today)
Old 05-21-2005, 06:04 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Can an act of evil also be a selfless act?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:09 AM   #27
New Yorker

Tough one....would you care to elaborate with an example?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:18 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Can an act of evil also be a selfless act?

Suicide bombers, Wanderer? Good question. Is the evil in the act or the intent? Is it evil to be misguided?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:38 AM   #29
New Yorker

Well, if what you're referring to is suicide-bombing, A_Wanderer, I don't think evil can be a selfless act because I don't regard suicide-bombing to be selfless at all.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:04 AM
I've known a few people who I think of as being rather "evil", I suppose it depends upon your definition. My definition might be more stringent than someone else's. Or maybe less depending upon the person.

Perhaps we all have the capacity for evil(and I think we all do, we are equal in that way) and it's just a matter or recognizing that and controlling it-and letting the good shine through and triumph. I think some people can't or maybe more accurately don't want to control it. I think can't is mostly in cases of truly clinically psychotic people.

I guess evil mostly results from ego, greed, selfishness, hatred, and lust for power. Also lack of compassion.