Can We Be Good Without God?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:
Christianity is waning, because people equate Christianity with fundamentalism and conservatism now. Thus, if you don't identify with their narrow definition of Christianity, chances are you'll reject it completely.

Melon

Sadly, I agree. The majority of people in America today tend to associate the extreme religious right with the majority of Christians, when in reality they can be very different things. And with the current attitude that's present in America, you're either with them or against them. There's really not that much middle ground.

This is definately a major aspect as to why Christianity may, in fact, eventually be replaced for the most part by Islam. Islam's becoming more and more popular in the world, while Christianity seems to be losing steam. I mean, look at France, a country that was formerly dominated by Catholics. The Muslim population there is growing so rapidly that, in a number of years, the majority of the population might be Muslim if things keep going the way they're going.

However, it has lasted some 2000 years so far. So you've got to take that into consideration. :wink:

I believe what the Bible says about this. We're born into the world as sinful (inherently evil) and until we're cleansed of our sins by the blood of Christ we will remind "not good". So I believe the answer is no.

And so does hooking up a convicted felon to an electric chair. Or are they no longer human?

I beg to differ that there's a difference between a convicted felon and a fetus. True, they're both humans, but one has done nothing whatsoever and another has most likely committed a murder of another human. I believe in grace above all, and the power of God to cause an inner change in someone's heart, but this comparison doesn't hold water.

And the crusades.......while I know they were wrong, that was a long time ago, and as far as I can tell today, no one's forcing people to follow God or die (except for extreme sects of Islam). So, please stop pinning them on people TODAY who are followers of Christ who had nothing to do with them.

One other thing: Christianity doesn't speak only of gaining heaven when you die. The beautiful part is to see God's Kingdom come on earth, here and now......the sick being healed, the dead being raised to life, families being brought back together, sons forgiving fathers and mothers forgiving daughters........ redemption and restoration to wholeness and peace through the power of Jesus' blood to break the reign of death.

seankirkland said:
And so does hooking up a convicted felon to an electric chair. Or are they no longer human?

I beg to differ that there's a difference between a convicted felon and a fetus. True, they're both humans, but one has done nothing whatsoever and another has most likely committed a murder of another human. I believe in grace above all, and the power of God to cause an inner change in someone's heart, but this comparison doesn't hold water.

You are passing judgment on whether or not a human being is fit to live.

"He who is without sin, cast the first stone."

As such, I find such "pro-life," "pro-death penalty" people to be hypocrites of the highest order. Either life is sacred or it isn't. Period.

Melon

You make a great point, Melon. I don't believe that people should be put to death, as in the death penalty. However, I do think that if someone has committed a murder they should be put in prison, so as not to harm others. They've done something wrong. It would be ridiculous to put a fetus in prison, or to terminate a fetus' life, just because they are there. I believe in pro-life, in the sense that every life is sacred, even that person who has committed a murder. They can still be changed by Jesus' grace, even if they are in a prison.

'Can We Be Good Without God?'

Yes.

I don't think anybody needs a God or a belief system just to be a good person. I don't anyway.

Back
Top Bottom