Can God be "the bigger person" when it comes to non-believers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
Yes, it's time for one of my semi-annual worries about my eternal soul, but this time I think I have a question that hasn't been asked, and if it has, it's been awhile.....

The other day I was watching ER. In it, there was a guy who was dying (played by Ray Liotta), and Dr. Kovach (sp?) was talking to him. The guy said "I have never been a believer, and I guess that's going to bite me in the ass now, huh?" to which the Dr. replied, "I think God will get over it."

I felt an enormous amount of relief. It then occurred to me, that perhaps he's right and rather than being petty and saying "you didn't believe so nya nya you're going to hell", maybe God, who is supposed to be all knowing about what goes on in people's hearts, would understand why certain people have trouble believing (either due to their upbringing, or things that have happened in their lives), and would be the "bigger person" and forgive this non/reluctant believer, welcoming him/her to Heaven.

Discuss. :)

U2democrat said:
I think you're right. God knows the deepest thoughts in our minds and can see into our hearts and souls.

This is correct. Our faith is a matter between our own heart and God Himself. It is not necessarily a matter of what we say or do.

I have a friend who has an interesting ministry. When telemarketers call his home, he tells them "I will listen to your sales pitch if you can answer one question: What is the only sin that will send you to hell?"

This leads to interesting discussions.

Oh, and the answer to the question is: Rejection of Jesus Christ.

John 14:6

Jesus Himself set a very simple standard. No other sin keeps you from Him. No other sin is unforgiveable.

yes you're absolutely right... you know, everybody has "seasons of smaller faith" (i don't know a better name for this)
and God is so wonderful -- he forgives you all your sins o you can come back to Him.
and also i think that people who came to God after longer time will get much more love... cause God gives you just the right amount of love (that you need).

sorry for my english ;)

it's these kind of sentimental thoughts about God -- as some kind of old man with a beard looking over my shoulder and whispering into my left ear and granting me my wishes when i pray -- that keep many of us (or at least me) from wanting to be called a "believer."

i won't get into my personal notions of God, but let's say that i choose to have faith, and the biggest obstacles i find to overcome are precisely these sentimental notions.

just my $.02. not to degrade what anybody else things, just to say that i don't understand these highly humanized ideas of something supposed to be infinite.

So NBC, you are saying that nothing is worse than non-belief, regardless of how you may have come to that decision (or indecision as in my case).

So to use another example, what do you think will happen to Bono's dad, who was a huge believer for ages, and apparently lost his faith. Is he now sitting in hell, never to be reunited with his wife and sons despite his prior life of belief and any other good things he may have done on earth? If so, I think that's totally crappy and God should be ashamed of himself.

Last edited:
If you refer to the man who was next to Jesus on the cross who lived a life of sin, and was an unbeliever... He asked Jesus to remember him in his kingdom on the last day of his life, and Jesus said that he will be in paradise with him.

Macfistowannabe said:
If you refer to the man who was next to Jesus on the cross who lived a life of sin, and was an unbeliever... He asked Jesus to remember him in his kingdom on the last day of his life, and Jesus said that he will be in paradise with him.

He lived the life of an unbeliever and was guilty of some crime to result in crucifixtion.

He did, in that last moment, find faith in Jesus.

Luke 23:39-43

One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"

But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence?

We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."

Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom."

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

You don't lose God's gift to you. Once you accept him he won't turn back his promise from you.

God is not a man so as to lie,
God is no man so as to regret anything he does.

Once you've accepted Jesus as your saviour he won't leave you behind.

Mrs. Edge said:
So NBC, you are saying that nothing is worse than non-belief, regardless of how you may have come to that decision (or indecision as in my case).

So to use another example, what do you think will happen to Bono's dad, who was a huge believer for ages, and apparently lost his faith. Is he now sitting in hell, never to be reunited with his wife and sons despite his prior life of belief and any other good things he may have done on earth? If so, I think that's totally crappy and God should be ashamed of himself.

We all go through periods when we doubt, or appear to fall away from the faith. God does not require a "maintenance level" of behavior or belief. If one truly believes (which only God truly knows), then that person is

As was mentioned above, once you receive God's grace, you can't lose it.

Bono and his father will be reunited in heaven. :up:

Mrs. Edge said:
Well it's easy for him to believe in Jesus at the last minute, he was right there!

Not really. There were plenty of people who witnessed miracles, spoke with Jesus, etc., and did not believe.

Mrs. Edge said:
So what does God do with people who want to believe but don't for one reason or another?

I'm not sure there really is a gray area. If someone wants to believe, I think it is entirely possible that they already do believe, and are struggling with the external aspects of it.

One doesn't reach out to God without believing there is a God to reach out to.

So if accepting Jesus is the key to paradise, what happened to the people who lived before Jesus was born? Or to kids who are too young to understand any of this? Or to people who have never heard of Jesus for some reason?

DrTeeth said:
So if accepting Jesus is the key to paradise, what happened to the people who lived before Jesus was born? Or to kids who are too young to understand any of this? Or to people who have never heard of Jesus for some reason?

People accepted God by faith before Jesus came to earth (see Hebrews 11 for a brief list).

I believe there is Scriptural evidence that young children go to heaven (2 Samuel 12:23)

And God says we all have been given evidence of His existence to live by faith (Romans 1:20)

What really matters is what DrTeeth believe, not what happens to others.

I'm confused now. Do you have to believe that God sent his son to die for your sins to get into heaven or not?

Just for the record, I'm not asking all of this just to be a smartass or to piss people of. I personally don't believe in God and I doubt that anything said here will ever change my mind, but I'm just trying to find the logic in all of this.

That's fine, Dr. Teeth. I can understand your curiosity. I am a Christian and am very proud of it, but honestly, I have NO CLUE what happens when people die and we won't know until we're, well, dead.

If you are not a believer than why does it matter to you if God will be the bigger person?

Thats like saying, "I dont believe in Santa Claus but hopefully Santa Claus will still give me presents this Xmas".

MaxFisher said:
If you are not a believer than why does it matter to you if God will be the bigger person?

To me, finding out what believers think the answer is or should be is more interesting than the actual answer.

ive never felt a 'need' for God. what does that mean for me?

this is turning into a q&a with nbc and the sinners.

Jesus seemed to know the ACTUAL answer when he said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to Father except through me."

Back
Top Bottom