Can God be "the bigger person" when it comes to non-believers? - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2004, 12:35 PM   #241
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Inerrancy of Scripture is fanaticism....?

wonderful
If scripture is falsehood, BonoVoxSupastar, I guess I'm screwed. Either that or an after life is nothing but comfort food in a time of despair.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:36 PM   #242
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
He(sic) is bigger than mankind, and it's sad to see that people simply can't accept that.
precisely.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:38 PM   #243
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Quote:

Inerrancy of Scripture is fanaticism....?

wonderful
No preaching to people to lose their pride when they haven't done it themselves is.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:39 PM   #244
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If scripture is falsehood, BonoVoxSupastar, I guess I'm screwed. Either that or an after life is nothing but comfort food in a time of despair.
Nope I didn't say that.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #245
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Nope I didn't say that.
I don't understand what your beef is. Seems as though everything I say gets a bad rap from you lately. I kindly ask that you give it a break.
Old 11-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #246
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't understand what your beef is. Seems as though everything I say gets a bad rap from you lately. I kindly ask that you give it a break.
Give your offensive remarks a break and there won't be any "beef". Take a look at all your post in the last few days...
Old 11-20-2004, 03:09 PM   #247
New Yorker

NBC--I think of it this way. Inerrancy of Scripture isn't fanatical. Believing in the inerrancy of ONE'S OWN READING of Scripture is. I love Paul's metaphor for this in I believe it's Romans. "We see now dimly as in a mirror, but then [ie, when we're reunited with Christ] we shall see face to face".

Peace,
SD
Old 11-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #248
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
NBC--I think of it this way. Inerrancy of Scripture isn't fanatical. Believing in the inerrancy of ONE'S OWN READING of Scripture is. I love Paul's metaphor for this in I believe it's Romans. "We see now dimly as in a mirror, but then [ie, when we're reunited with Christ] we shall see face to face".

took the words right out of my mouth.

with all that we now know about cultural relativity and the problems inherent in language, not to mention translation, it baffles me how anyone can refer to a bible passage, in english, and refer to it as inalterable truth. it could point towards inalterable truth, it could lead you in that direction, but it could not possibly be found right there on the page. scripture is writing, and that writing was done by humans, it is therefore as flawed as any one of us.

not wrong, just flawed, incomplete, and contested. like all of us.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:24 PM   #249
ONE
love, blood, life

Considering that Genesis itself was written by at least four different authors, and pieced together into one document that includes all four traditions at once.......

Plus it has been translated.............

Yes, I believe scripture can be questioned.....and dangerous.....when interpreted by people thousands of years later.

That said,,,,,,I do belive in the spirit of the document....which as a whole is in tact.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:27 PM   #250
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

Dreadsox! You took the words out of my mouth. Living and walking the walk of someone who loves thy neighbor is my #1 priority as a Christian. As you search to walk the walk, your faith becomes stronger. To me, serving is what it is all about.

Good luck at the conference this weekend!
I will get you updated on the conference. It was a spiritually moving weekend for my wife and I. We now have to figure out what to do in the church with what we learned this weekend.

I am very drained.....

I do not know how the people I met this weekend find the stregnth......

peace
Old 11-20-2004, 08:14 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling

Peace,
SD
We are not follower of men, but of Christ. Too often, the teachings of an individual or the philosophy of the day replace the inerrancy of Scripture.

It would be great if we approached interpretation by comparing Scripture with Scripture. Instead, we get a mix of (i) it no longer applies, (ii) it was written by someone else, (iiii) there are other books which control, and on and on.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:35 PM   #252
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
We are not follower of men, but of Christ. Too often, the teachings of an individual or the philosophy of the day replace the inerrancy of Scripture.

It would be great if we approached interpretation by comparing Scripture with Scripture. Instead, we get a mix of (i) it no longer applies, (ii) it was written by someone else, (iiii) there are other books which control, and on and on.
I completely agree with your post, and love the first sentence, and I will admit that maybe I take things out of context more often than I should. Here's something I would like all of you to read.

The problem with politics... I'm obviously talking about both sides of the debate here. What I've seen is that man created political differences, and it makes people cold-hearted against each other just because they have differences. That's why I would disagree to the theory that politics is the most important part of life - it certainly isn't. Those who get too obsessed with a political view often talk about their strong dislike for a certain type of person, assuming their political differences mean that person has no individuality and so forth. I can't help but think that politics is garbage. I don't see how it isn't. Politics is sadly not about love or unity. It's about division.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:18 PM   #253
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
i) You feel that everything from the old testament applies exactly as it is written?

ii) Isn't it important to begin looking at scripture based on who wrote it? As in the example I used earlier, the Genesis story is a merging of four different works into one. Why wouldn't it be important to look at who wrote it, the purpose of the writing, and the context of the community they wrote for?

iii) I have no clue what you are referring to here.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:51 PM   #254
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

i) You feel that everything from the old testament applies exactly as it is written?

ii) Isn't it important to begin looking at scripture based on who wrote it? As in the example I used earlier, the Genesis story is a merging of four different works into one. Why wouldn't it be important to look at who wrote it, the purpose of the writing, and the context of the community they wrote for?

I'm honestly not sure if we should judge scripture or not. I can't say whether God's words went through the writers, but I personally believe they did. Feel free to disagree. We should remember something though - God sees a day like a thousand years, and a thousand years as a day. To define this, just because times have changed doesn't mean God has.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:05 PM   #255
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
In the context of the entire Old and New Testament, yes. Picking one verse from the Old Testament with the question, "does that apply today?" will result in misleading answers. Levitical law is not required for salvation. But, as is noted in Romans 7, we would not know what sin is except through the law.

Quote:
No. First, human authorship is note a settled issue. There is a significant difference in view on who wrote the Pentatuch, for example. And, I'm not sure it really matters.

Focusing on human authors, and their "input", takes away from the authority of Scripture as the Word of God.

Quote:
Additional Gospels, additional books, additional other "helps" that are deemed "necessary" to understand the nature of God.