Can God be "the bigger person" when it comes to non-believers? - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #226
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:30 AM
this thread has lots more posts than the last time i was here. thats cool.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Careful. I am just as much a sinner as anyone else here.
i know. i kind of just wanted to say nbc and the sinners. could have been a motown band.

Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476
But I do think that all of us experience regular moments where we say, "I wish this world was a better place." Or, "I long for peace, joy, and satisfaction." I believe that this longing is the longing that God has placed in all of us, a desire that he has implanted so that we will search for him. He knows that we will never find these things apart from him, since he is the creator of these things and their ultimate source.

I don't know if that answered your question at all, but I hope it helped.
thanks stammer. it helps me to understand the perspective of the believer. i dont think ill ever find myself among them.

i think about the lack of 'peace, joy and satisfaction' and begin to consider socioeconomic causes, cultural factors and the role of developed nations and so on and so forth.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:34 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

I went to church when I was younger, even chose to get baptized when I was in my teens and now at the tender age of 26 I'm more skeptical than ever. I've had my share of pastors and I just don't buy it.
Jesus said that it's nearly impossible to enter the kingdom of God unless you have the faith of a child. By this, I mean you must expand your horizons, put your politics and your egos aside, and believe in a new hope.

Old 11-19-2004, 09:38 PM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Anyone here ever heard of the apostle Thomas?
The man who saw Jesus after he rose from the dead, yet refused to believe it? Yes, I've heard of him. He's a lot like me. We all are a lot like me. We're sinners who need forgiveness and a stronger relationship with God.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:48 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
nbcrusader ... you are perhaps the most civil person on here, and you certainly know a lot about the Bible. while i disagree with you most of the time, i respect your posts a great deal and find them extremely helpful to me.

however, the way you (effortlessly, and impressively) reference the bible it is, i think, indicative of exactly my problems with Christianity in the narrow sense, and religion in the broad sense. for every question, you've got a neatly contained answer that, to me, has little to no relevance on my life or my experience. it's a self-referential, self-justified, entirely closed system. you prove scripture with scripture. got doubts about Scripture? Scripture has an answer. God not answering your prayers? you'll change and that will answer your prayers.

it's very North Korean sounding -- like "he leads because he is great, and he is great because he leads." my mind simply cannot accept such circular logic, and this is precisely why i can intellectually and rationally explore the idea of God, but cannot accept religion, as it is commonly practiced and understood, into my life.
For someone who's had a sense of struggle all their life like you, Irvine, I would highly recommend reading Job. You don't even have to go out and buy a Bible, there's plenty of sites on the web that have the bible. I believe that it will comfort and inspire you.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:16 PM   #230
Refugee

Local Time: 06:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Anyone here ever heard of the apostle Thomas?
To which Macfistowannabe replied:
"The man who saw Jesus after he rose from the dead, yet refused to believe it? Yes, I've heard of him. He's a lot like me. We all are a lot like me. We're sinners who need forgiveness and a stronger relationship with God."

Actually, if you read your Bible again you'll notice that he didn't see Jesus which is why he did not believe. It wasn't until Jesus did appear in front of Thomas, that Thomas did believe. Jesus did not appear angry or upset at all either. Perhaps this is an answer to the original question. Though it should be noted that we have all agreed that God is in no way human like. Some believe he took the form of a human with Jesus.
Here's a proposition: There is the notion that God is love among many believers in some sort of God. Let's assume that originally when humanity was very early in it's existance it had a deep connection with the natural world. Think of amerindians (natives) and magnify their spiritualization. The book of Genesis talks about Adam and Eve walking with God in the evenings. As a metaphor that serves quiet well the picture i'm trying to paint. Humanity was very close to the spirit because humanity was so close to nature - the flow and energy of life. After a while though humans began to segregate, the idea of power spread, greed infilitrated thought, and suddenly the extra special relationship between nature and the human divided. The great energy of life is also described as love. Because it is love it did not give up. From time to time love has strongly been concentrated in individuals to help the rest of humanity reunite with this force of love and energy. Finding heaven is when one reconnects with this force. A heaven in the afterlife, if it exists, would just be extra icing on the cake.
So with this in mind, perhaps that patient in ER found peace and heaven at last in the end. By just awknowledging and being aware of the presence he found peace, and so we could say that God - so to speak - was a greater person.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:22 PM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

My bad, Blueeyed... you're probably much closer to being a biblical scholar than me. Although I truly am inspired by the Bible, I can't remember every detail I've read.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #232
Refugee

Local Time: 06:30 AM
hmm perhaps i appeared to abrupt in my handling of the mistake....everyone makes mistakes about what they've read in the Bible. Even I - great Bible scholar that i am - make mistakes. I even received a B on a test in a Bible as Lit. class ....sometimes i, along with other philosophy students - if you ever run across one - tend to forget that people who make claims are not the claims themselves. In other words, I can get so caught up in proving someone wrong, that I forget to consider their feelings. My humblest of apologies for taking myself too seriously and for underscoring anyone's feelings.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:35 AM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That's not a problem, buddy.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:10 AM   #234
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge
Is he now sitting in hell, never to be reunited with his wife and sons despite his prior life of belief and any other good things he may have done on earth? If so, I think that's totally crappy and God should be ashamed of himself.
As humans, we have to understand that we're in no position to judge God. He is superior to us. Just like in "Please"

So love is big, bigger than us...
But love is not what you're thinking of..

I find that in a lot of U2's songs, "love" is a euphamism for God. I guess it's artistic license, and I don't really see anything wrong with it.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:47 AM   #235
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
As humans, we have to understand that we're in no position to judge God. He is superior to us.
perhaps we are in no position to attempt to understand it either.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:53 AM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en

perhaps we are in no position to attempt to understand it either.
How do you figure? Why do you think faith-based programs have become so successful? There is no reason I can possibly think of as to why we can't let go of our selfish pride.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #237
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:30 AM
you seem to be implying that my selfish pride is preventing me from seeing your truth, yet you remain steadfast in your position that you understand god and its will, presented neatly in a book. i find that inconsistent.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:25 PM   #238
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:30 AM
Quote:
you seem to be implying that my selfish pride is preventing me from seeing your truth, yet you remain steadfast in your position that you understand god and its will, presented neatly in a book. i find that inconsistent.
Welcome to fanaticism.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:30 PM   #239
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I don't understand everything about God, but one thing I do know is that he is not a slave or a genie. He is bigger than mankind, and it's sad to see that people simply can't accept that. We all have selfish pride, I'm not going to single you out.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:31 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Welcome to fanaticism.
Inerrancy of Scripture is fanaticism....?

wonderful