Can Dress Codes Be Racist? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Can Dress Codes Be Racist?

The NBA has instituted a new dress code for players and at least one player says it is racist and attacking a culture

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9730334/

"But the new policy is taking some heat already, with Indiana Pacers guard Stephen Jackson telling ESPN that the league ban on chains worn over clothing is "a racist statement" from the league.

Jackson said he had no problem with requiring players to dress better. But he drew the line at players being told their chains and necklaces can’t be visible over their clothes.

“I just think that’s attacking young, black males,” said Jackson, who wore four chains to the Pacers exhibition game against San Antonio on Tuesday night. “The part about wearing suits, I think we should dress up. A lot of guys have gotten sloppy with the way they dress and I have no problem with that. But the chains, that’s going a little too far.”

Jackson told ESPN that the policy on jewelry was "a racist statement because a lot of the guys who are wearing chains are my age and are black. I wore all my jewelry today to let it be known that I'm upset with it.

"I'll wear a suit every day. I think we do need to look more professional because it is a business. A lot of guys have gotten sloppy with the way they dress. But it's one thing to [enforce a] dress code and it's another thing if you're attacking cultures, and that's what I think they're doing."

Old 10-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

if he could link the wearing of chains to some kind of cultural practice that has a historical basis -- like, for example, how many African-American girls have their ears pierced when they are infants -- then he might have a point.

but it seems to me as if they are cracking down on a style or a trend recently adopted by many african-american males. so i don't think the charge has much basis.

Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 AM
I agree irvine, I don't think this is racist.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:49 PM
I'm assuming this is off the court dress code.

You have to ask yourself what is the reason behind this ban?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

This is just one sportswriters opinion..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9679068/

"Stern was quoted in the Boston Globe as claiming the dress code is "a small thing that contributes to a sense of professionalism. It's what the job entails.''

Actually, no, it isn't.

What the job entails is draining jump shots, or cleaning the glass, or rejecting an Iverson drive in the paint. The job entails playing basketball at a highly proficient level while wearing the uniform dress code of the league — which is to say the uniform of your team. After that, who cares what a guy wears while walking out to his Bentley?

What Stern is trying to do, it seems, is bring his product more in line with its customers, meaning the corporate slugs who can afford NBA tickets on a regular basis

For too long the NBA has courted the hip-hop street culture. That side of town's idea of "business casual'' is ridiculously expensive sneakers, game jerseys and baggy shorts down to the knees. It is a culture that the NBA has been selling ever since the smooth era of Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson.

Now all of a sudden it's time to change course. Why? Because Stern fears things have gone too far. That they have become too street for the average NBA customer."

Is feeling that the players have become too "street" inherently racist in some way (if in fact that is the reasoning behind this dress code)? I never even think of that, I enjoy the game of basketball and those who can play it so incredibly well.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
What the job entails is draining jump shots, or cleaning the glass, or rejecting an Iverson drive in the paint. The job entails playing basketball at a highly proficient level while wearing the uniform dress code of the league — which is to say the uniform of your team. After that, who cares what a guy wears while walking out to his Bentley?

What Stern is trying to do, it seems, is bring his product more in line with its customers, meaning the corporate slugs who can afford NBA tickets on a regular basis

actually, that's a very interesting point.

it does play into old racist ideas -- that african-americans, specifically males, are essentially hired entertainers, jokers or jesters or singers or dancers or gladiators, for rich white people. the rich white people want to be entertained and to marvel at feats of athleticism or musicality or whatever, but they don't want to put up with that which they might find uncouth, or unsettling, or something that's upsetting to strict notions of decorum in white upper-middle class society.

one analogy to this is with gay men on TV and in sitcoms -- we love them as sassy sidekicks or relationship advice gurus for lonely single women everywhere, but god forbid a gay man on TV have a sex life! god forbid you show two gay men (shock! horror!) kissing!

i think the point about packaging is entirely fair.

but then again, the NBA is a product, as much as anything else.

it just happens to be a very racialized product.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
Acrobat

The dress code is only to be followed when engaging in team or league business. So for example, if Allen Iverson is injured for a couple of games,he has to wear a suit and no chains at the game. Away from the court while not representin the team, he can wear whatever he wants to.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Why can't he wear chains at the game or on the plane, whatever? I don't see how that's offensive in any way, and I can see the players' point there.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:27 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:49 AM
I think it´s not racist, but I don´t see why now they must impose the players how to dress? This is the very least problem in the world. Players wearing chains, bermudas or shirts are the trademark of American Basketball, especially analizing the fact that Basketball was born with this background. Imposing a dress code it´s like cracking the roots of it, although it is not a cultural offence it is such an inelegant way
Old 10-19-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by babyman
I think it´s not racist, but I don´t see why now they must impose the players how to dress? This is the very least problem in the world. Players wearing chains, bermudas or shirts are the trademark of American Basketball, especially analizing the fact that Basketball was born with this background. Imposing a dress code it´s like cracking the roots of it, although it is not a cultural offence it is such an inelegant way

Are you being sarcastic? I really can't tell. How was basketball born with that background? And how is the dress code cracking the roots?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think there may be some racist overtones to it. David Stern is not an idiot. The man knows his stuff ands has elevated the NBA to where it is today. I think that he's trying to avoid further alienation of white fans. He knows that white fans shell out money for the tickets and represent a good portion of coporate sponserships. There is no question that people have been put off by the gangsta culture in the NBA. The poor quality of basketball probably contributes too, but it's Stern's way of trying to reel the league back in and under his control.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog

Are you being sarcastic? I really can't tell. How was basketball born with that background? And how is the dress code cracking the roots?

No. I´m not sarcastic. Background in the sense that since basketball was born players always dressed up in that way, bringing an important culture ahead. This dress code in a way seems to mine that origin of basketball
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
The dress code is only to be followed when engaging in team or league business. So for example, if Allen Iverson is injured for a couple of games,he has to wear a suit and no chains at the game. Away from the court while not representin the team, he can wear whatever he wants to.
That's a given, but why if not on the court do they have this ban? What's the reasoning?

I agree with the sportswriter in MrsS posts.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #14
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by babyman

No. I´m not sarcastic. Background in the sense that since basketball was born players always dressed up in that way, bringing an important culture ahead. This dress code in a way seems to mine that origin of basketball
Um, no. Take a look:

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/Naismith.htm
Old 10-19-2005, 10:55 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Um, no. Take a look:

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/Naismith.htm

Oh, never knew it, thanx for the clarifying!