Can Dress Codes Be Racist? - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2005, 08:56 PM   #106
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:42 AM
isiah thomas is the president of basketball operations for the new york knicks. anyone who frequents the sports forum knows that he is not exactly my favorite person in the world... i'm a knicks fan, and i hate the moves he's made re: the team.

but that doesn't matter in this conversation. isiah thomas is an african-american who rose up out of inner city chicago, went on to star at the university of indiana, and then on to be a hall of famer with the detroit pistons. his background and upbringing... even his style of play... is strikingly similar to that of allen iverson, the person who started this "throwback" trend amongst nba players, and is the biggest violater of these new rules.

in his time as president of basketball operations of the new york knicks, isiah thomas has instituted a strict dress code policy... even more strict than the league wide policy that the NBA has set forth.

no outrageous jewlrey, no t-shirts, sunglasses, jerseys, etc etc. every player must show up to the team plane, bus and to the arena wearing a suit... jacket, pants and tie. anyone who violated these rules was fined.

there is nothing racist about this rule. if anything, it's a generational rift... even within the black community. using race to combat this new rule is a flat out cop out... plain and simple.

isiah thomas w/ larry brown

allen iverson... injured and on the bench for the philadelphia 76ers... notice what jersey he's wearing

Old 10-20-2005, 09:46 PM   #107
War Child

allen iverson is a thug anyway who beat a white with a chair? isnt he? and left his wife nude outside their house? or something along the lines of that? iverson isnt a great role model for african american kids or any kids for that matter.

and in hockey, im sure if the white players were wearing ripped jeans and t-shirts and dressed like metal heads and stuff like that, the league would crack down on them to...but they dont have to cuz the players in the nhl dont complain about stuff like that, they follow their team rules and most already wear suits and everything already..

Old 10-20-2005, 10:12 PM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by NYRangers78
allen iverson is a thug anyway who beat a white with a chair? isnt he? and left his wife nude outside their house? or something along the lines of that? iverson isnt a great role model for african american kids or any kids for that matter.
you're not helping my argument with lines like "iverson is a thug who beat a white."

allen iverson was arrested when he was a senior in high school for being involved in a fight in a bowling alley. most witnesses say that iverson was merely a bystander who was railroaded by the judicial system and sent to jail. his sentance was cut short after an appeal, and georgetown university coach john thompson gave him a second chance, and he's had no major run ins with the law since. he had one episode where he was brought in on alleged posession of an illegal firearm, but those charges were quickly droped and he was never charged.

over the past few years he has actually been an upstanding citizen in the nba, compared to many others with more polished reputations. he had a troubled youth begat by a tough upbringing and he's cleaned up his act considerably, and was one of the few honorable players on the disgrace of an olympic team a few years back in athens.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:12 AM   #109
War Child

sorry to hijack your thread, i was just making a general statement about allen iverson not really tied to the dress code thing....but i did read that he did beat a white girl at that bowling alley with a chair or something but it might have been provoked....

and i totally agree with everything youve said....
Old 10-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #110
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"“I just think that’s attacking young, black males,” said Jackson, who wore four chains to the Pacers exhibition game against San Antonio on Tuesday night. “The part about wearing suits, I think we should dress up. A lot of guys have gotten sloppy with the way they dress and I have no problem with that. But the chains, that’s going a little too far.”

Why not add a few more pounds to your weight during a game?

It might not help your speed on the court, but man, you will look so fine.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:20 AM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

I have a problem w/ his use of the word "retarded" but he has a problem w/ it too..

FOXSports.com
Posted: 1 day ago

Spurs superstar Tim Duncan is known to be understated and shy — but not about the NBA's new dress code.

Duncan, according to a report in The San Antonio Express-News, joined the Indiana Pacers' Stephen Jackson with not-so-kind words for commissioner David Stern's dress-up policy.

Tim Duncan, seen in his sideline attire of choice last season, calls the NBA's new dress code "a load of crap."

"I think it's a load of crap," Duncan said. "I understand what they're trying to do with the hats and do-rags and jerseys and stuff. That's fine. But I don't understand why they would take it to this level. I think it's basically retarded.

"I don't like the direction they're going, but who am I?"

Duncan, a two-time NBA MVP and three-time NBA Finals MVP, did not play in Tuesday night's 94-81 exhibition loss to the Indiana Pacers at Conseco Fieldhouse. He wore what The Express-News called his typical injured-list wardrobe: jeans and a dress shirt.

However, an NBA spokesman said Duncan would have to tuck his shirt in once the regular season starts and the policy goes into effect.

In the new policy, players will be allowed to wear "dress jeans" and a collared shirt or sweater to and from the arena, but they must put on a sport coat if they are sitting near the bench and not in uniform.

This clearly isn't music to the ears of Duncan, who is thinking of remaining in the locker room on nights he does not play.

As for Jackson, his problem lies in the fact that players will not be allowed to wear large chains, pendants or medallions over their clothes when they enter an (NBA) arena.

"I have no problem dressing up (business) casual because I know I'm a nice-looking guy," Jackson said. "But as far as chains, I definitely feel that's a racial statement. Almost 100 percent of the guys in the league who are young and black wear big chains. So I definitely don't agree with that at all."
Old 10-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

Okay, I guess I'm missing something because I don't understand what is "retarded" about having to wear a sport coat over a dress shirt?

Is this really unreasonable? Am I dense?