Can Dress Codes Be Racist? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:44 AM
The necklace issue is important, that's what the original player was complaining was relevant re the racism/culturalism issue

Old 10-19-2005, 02:51 PM   #77
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I'm with Headache on this one, the administrators are entitled to enforce a dress code, as with an employer.
But I'm not saying they can't, I'm asking why are they targeting certain items? And not one person can give me a good answer, they give me the individual argument, but then back down when I show that that doesn't apply.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #78
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

you seem to be stuck on this necklace issue... i'm more into discussing the dress code as a whole.

do i know if a necklace specificly is part of every leagues dress code? no... i do not.

i also do not know how anyone would see including a necklace in this dress code as being racialy biased.
Did you read the premise article? The whole thing is about the frickin necklace. He wasn't arguing about the suit!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #79
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
The necklace issue is important, that's what the original player was complaining was relevant re the racism/culturalism issue
well i'd go after the original player's value as a reference again, but alas, i'll be called childish.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #80
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Did you read the premise article? The whole thing is about the frickin necklace. He wasn't arguing about the suit!!!
so shall i post articles that quote allen iverson and a few other players instead?

the issue as a whole is more than just the necklace. that is just one player's personal opinion.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #81
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

but alas, i'll be called childish.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Quote:
Marcus Camby of the Denver Nuggets, whose contract will pay him nearly $50 million over the next five years, told an interviewer before the code was imposed, "I don't see it happening unless every NBA player is given a stipend to buy clothes."
you must remember that you are quoting professional athletes, many of whom, such as mr. camby, are out of touch with reality.

david stern consulted with both billy hunter, executive director of the player's union, and antonio davis, president of the union/member of the new york knicks, before putting this rule into effect.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

the player in question sees it as racist, whether others do well that's another question

maybe there are white basketball players who wear visible and/or multiple chains
Old 10-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #84
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

so shall i post articles that quote allen iverson and a few other players instead?

the issue as a whole is more than just the necklace. that is just one player's personal opinion.
Well you've missed the whole point of this thread then.

NO ONE SAID THAT HAVING A DRESS CODE WAS RACIST, THEY CLAIMED CERTAIN ISSUES OF IT TO BE.

But you've seemed to ignore that.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
well i'd go after the original player's value as a reference again,
Exactly Stephen Jackson isn't exactly the poster boy for model behavior. He's probably willing to go head on with Stern on any issue. He's really the only voice coming out against this policy too.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Well you've missed the whole point of this thread then.

NO ONE SAID THAT HAVING A DRESS CODE WAS RACIST, THEY CLAIMED CERTAIN ISSUES OF IT TO BE.

But you've seemed to ignore that.
you, apparently, need to go listen to some sports talk radio and/or television, where the topic of discussion is very much over wether or not the dres code AS A WHOLE is racist.

mike and mike in the morning on espnradio today talked with michael wilbon for a good 20 minutes this morning over wether or not the dress code... as a whole... is racist.

i know... sports topics and FYM don't usually go hand-in-hand. perhaps this thread is better suited.. hehe... suited... in put 'em under pressure.

if my bringing the entire issue as a whole into a discussion over one simple necklace was confusing, i appologize.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20...onts&printer=1

"ESPN personality and Philadelphia Inquirer columnist Stephen A. Smith, who is African American, wrote recently in support of the dress code, while suggesting that it was in part racially motivated.

"When you are selling a sport overwhelmingly populated by young black males to an older white audience, the reality is that impressions, first or otherwise, often determine your product's success," Smith wrote.

" … Indeed, there's a racial element here. But since there are 60-year-old black parents and grandparents just as appalled by some players' attire, there is a generational element too," he added.

Peter Roby, director of Northeastern University's Center for the Study of Sport in Society, cautioned the NBA to tread lightly.

"There are plenty of well-dressed people now going to prison for defrauding their shareholders," Roby said. "We have to be careful about making assumptions about folks simply on the way they look. That's a dangerous thing to do because it's how we start to create stereotypes."

But Todd Boyd, a USC professor of critical studies and author of "Young, Black, Rich and Famous: The Rise of the NBA, the Hip-Hop Invasion and the Transformation of American Culture," said fans would not be alienated.

"In the last two years, hip-hop itself has become increasingly fashionable," he said, noting that rapper Jay-Z, a part owner of the New Jersey Nets, included lyrics on his 2003 CD, "The Black Album," commanding listeners to dress better.

Anyone wearing a vintage jersey now, Boyd said, is out of style.

Indeed, to fashion insiders, the league needn't have issued a dictum."
Old 10-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #88
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
the player in question sees it as racist, whether others do well that's another question

Thank you. This is how the issue was brought to this forum and silly me this is how I debated it.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #89
Blue Crack Distributor

for the record, sunglasses worn indoors are also on the "no" list.

perhaps one could insinuate that the nba has a racial vendeta against short irish singers.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:13 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

And I don't see sports talk radio as being a definitive reference point about this issue, I know here we have people who host those shows who have made racist comments themselves. I'm not saying players' opinions about this issue being aired on TV/radio isn't important and/or relevant, because it is.

Maybe this just brings up larger issues about how we all have prejudices like melon said, and we all judge based upon a style of dress or other factors. Like I said previously, are some of these players too 'gangsta" for some people? I just think that's silly and that they should be concerned w/ content of character. They being fans and the NBA.