Can atheists go to heaven???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
What happens with every book and every religion?

They can all be interpreted differently. So people, whether intentionally or unintentionally, can use them to justify actions which are completely opposite to the instructions of that book or religion.

People can choose to listen to only the parts of a religion which basically 'say what they want to hear'. For instance (and I'm not trying to re-ignite the discussion we had on this topic a few weeks back) some people will quote Bible verses which they believe condemn homosexuality and so make a judgement about lesbian, gay or bisexual people, while choosing not to listen to verses which tell us that it is not our place to judge others.

Sorry that's kind of a controversial example, but it's the first one that came to mind.

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
They can all be interpreted differently. So people, whether intentionally or unintentionally, can use them to justify actions which are completely opposite to the instructions of that book or religion..

Yes, people have used the Bible to justify their wrong actions, but what in the world does this have to do with pedophile priests? Has Rono EVER heard a priest use the Bible to justify molesting children? I would say a resounding "no!". I've never heard that before.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Yes, people have used the Bible to justify their wrong actions, but what in the world does this have to do with pedophile priests? Has Rono EVER heard a priest use the Bible to justify molesting children? I would say a resounding "no!". I've never heard that before.

Sorry - that's my mistake, I should have read more carefully before I replied.

I think that sometimes people can sometimes use their religion to act as though they can't do anything wrong. As though things they do, which are disgusting evil things, are somehow allowed because they're religious and therefore somehow better than people who don't share in their religion. As though they're above criticism simply because they believe in a certain religion, or as though because of their religion, they can 'do no wrong'.

You come back and spout off some ridiculous tripe about pedophile priests (which, by the way, is the vast minority of priests ...

This part made me laugh like a horse!!!

Just wanted to say I'm proud of myself....I haven't had this many replies to one of my posts for over a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although I wonder what happened to most of those replies

------------------
Vorsprung durch Technik

hey 80sU2 is the Best, well way up at the top of this message board you exclaim that God is all around us by using a scripture from the bible to claim this. but you see that is a fallacy in argumentation. that is like saying God is real because he created the bible, and the bible says he is real!

that is really funny and kind of a evil circle for argument's sake now isnt it??

or the one: god is a supreme omnipresent being(funny enough because why would we have free will then. but anyways) so he is prefect, by what the bible says and and by this he would not be malevoilent enough ever to create an illusion of our lives or to "trick" us in thinking a specific thing, so he is real in the effect that we can trust him not to decieve us or our lives and "choices" in life.

but so again about your first argument concerning the existence of god, that is a dubious argument. and I wouldn't recomend ever using it again to make your point, because it makes no point at all other than further exclaiming that you cant fully, legitimatly claim the existence of god without use of faith.

Originally posted by tchlowlife:
hey 80sU2 is the Best, well way up at the top of this message board you exclaim that God is all around us by using a scripture from the bible to claim this. but you see that is a fallacy in argumentation. that is like saying God is real because he created the bible, and the bible says he is real!
that is really funny and kind of a evil circle for argument's sake now isnt it??
or the one: god is a supreme omnipresent being(funny enough because why would we have free will then. but anyways) so he is prefect, by what the bible says and and by this he would not be malevoilent enough ever to create an illusion of our lives or to "trick" us in thinking a specific thing, so he is real in the effect that we can trust him not to decieve us or our lives and "choices" in life.
but so again about your first argument concerning the existence of god, that is a dubious argument. and I wouldn't recomend ever using it again to make your point, because it makes no point at all other than further exclaiming that you cant fully, legitimatly claim the existence of god without use of faith.
Well, Vorsprung asked a question. It was a question that asked for people's opinions. That's what I agve him - my opinion, based on the Bible, which is the book of my faith. He didn't ask for "proof", and my response was not to give some kind of "proof", but as honest an answer as I could, based on my beliefs. However, there are many many discoveries that have lended validity to teh credibility of the Bible, as well as many prophecies form teh Bible that have actually come to pass. If you would like those, they do exist. But this thread has nothing to do with providing proof.
Your other points, I honestly don't understand what you're asking, so I can't respond.

I am going to answer the original question.
If there was a heaven Atheists could not possibly go there because Atheists do not believe in heaven. How can you go somewhere that you don't believe exists?

------------------
He who stands atop the highest mountain can see the farthest

Originally posted by tchlowlife:

You don't need to adopt as an axiom that the Bible is divinely inspired in order to argue that what it says is true.

The way the early church fathers argued was roughly as follows:

1. The Scriptures (or at least the gospels) are accurate as historical documents.

2. Christ's claims to divinity are found in the gospels.

3. Christ regarded the spiritual content of the Bible (or at least the Old Testament) as authoritative.

and so on.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 03-29-2002).]

Originally posted by foray:
If I don't believe in gravity, it doesn't mean I won't end up splat on the sidewalk after I jump off a building.

foray

but when you hit the ground you would believe in gravity

------------------
He who stands atop the highest mountain can see the farthest

Back
Top Bottom