Can an Oscar be taken back? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2004, 09:13 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:08 PM
[Q]Officials at the Canadian Firearms Centre in Edmonton say filmmaker Michael Moore misrepresented Canada during a scene in his latest documentary.

Moore's Bowling for Columbine examines gun culture in the United States. He makes several comparisions with Canada in the film.

In one scene, Moore buys ammunition at an Ontario Wal-Mart without showing any identification.[/Q]
http://www.cbc.ca/artsCanada/stories/mooreguns141102

Old 04-26-2004, 09:19 PM   #47
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Silence is defening.....

So I guess since it was OK to misrepresent Heston....but not ok to misrepresent Willie Horton?

Oh...if you watch the movie....when Heston says "from my cold dead hands" he is wearing a different shirt and tie from the rest of the speech. So I guess unless he left the stage and changed in the middle of it, it would be hard to have been the speech in Colorado....
Doesn't Heston say it at pretty much every NRA appearence?

I still remember him saying it here, clothing changes aside--Moore might have spliced in a different clip with the same quote.

But emotions were running so high at that time, *especially* with the NRA convention, that I can't even argue the point. I have no feelings for BFC one way or another.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:34 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Cold dead hands speech was allegedly a year later....

Let the pics speak for themselves.....

I would like to correct a comment I made yesterday...

The Willie Horton text was corrected to Rape fromt he original to DVD.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #49
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:08 AM
Quote:
Salome....I actually enjoyed the movie...and I read Michael Moore's books. I read many books, written by people who I agree with, but I learn more reading books by people I disagree with.
I haven't watched this movie, I read some of Moore's stuff that is posted here and that's it

my interest in Moore is limmited, because he makes a lot of noise but fails to achieve much

I just don't really get the intention of this thread
are you planning on researching the truth ratio of every documentary that won an oscar?
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-27-2004, 07:01 AM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

I think he took to many "liberties" to have his film called a documentary. When you ad text into a film trying to pass it off as the original ads, isn't that lying? When you splice together film clips trying to portray the person as having said something that he did not at that particular time and place, isn't that lying? When you film yourself buying ammo in Canada, when according to the Canadien governement, he could not have, isn' that lying?

How can it be a documentary , when he is lying? Another lie would be purchasing an account with the bamnk and getting a gun. I am not denying the bank allowed you to get a free gun, but it did not happen the way he portrayed it. There was a manditory waiting period while the background check was conducted, and the actual gun had to be picked up at a gun store, not at the bank.

So looking at the premise of his movie.....how is it a documentary when he is showing made up gun purchases, made up ammunition purchases ect.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:13 AM   #51
you are what you is

I don't think even Moore would not acknowledge that he chose to portrait realtity to serve his means
(I haven't seen "Bowling ..." but even I am 99% sure that he did)

you go from calling something "a lie" to calling it "did not happen the way he portayed it" in 2 following sentences
now, the truth is probably somewhere in between

but I still agree with those who say that most if not all documentaries work like that
so I'm merely interested in why you think that "Bowling ..." is a more deceiptful representation of reality than other documentaries
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-27-2004, 07:14 AM   #52
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:08 PM
What is lying Dreadsox?
Lying is making a completely false representation by dubbing or splicing to make say a Heston pep cry something it never was. Not stretching the truth or exagerating to make a point.
Lying is saying you can buy ammunition in Canada but due to not being able to prove it, you film yourself buying it in OneHorseTown USA and pass it off as Canada. Screw what the govt says. You can either buy it or you can't. He did.
A lie would be saying you get a gun when you open an account with a certain bank when clearly you cannot. He got a gun. He stretched the truth again, but it isn't a lie.

How is it entirely based on lies when America has a serious gun problem which the rest of the world seems to see, but not the US? Moore has never hidden the fact he is dramatic opportunist. I'd call his documentary entirely tongue in cheek, but not a lie. The whole point of what he produced from the editing floor is to get everyone to question why 11,000+ Americans die every year from firearms offences. Not to get to questioning Moore's creative licence on the term 'documentary'. You are meant to go a bit further than this Dread, and ask why. The issues. Not Moore. You keep focusing on the man himself rather than the very questionable issues he raised. Seperate him from the movie/documentary. It isn't about Moore.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:50 AM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

If he ads TEXT to campaign ads, that was not there, that had innacurate facts, and attributes it to the Candidate and not the PAC that put it out, then it is a lie. It is certainly not the truth.

If he shows on screen buying ammunition in Canada in a manner that the Canadian governement says is not the way it is done, it is a lie.

If he shows himself walking out of the door of a bank implying that the bank handed it to him right then and there on the day he opened his account, when in reality he had the same waiting period as everyone else, and that he had to get the gun from a licensed dealer that is a lie.

If he shows Heston wearing two different suits, but implys the speech was made in the face of Columbine, when in reality part of the speech was made almost a year later, that is a lie.

If he shows himslef pleading with Heston, as Heston is walking away, and there is no camera that could have shown him pleading with Heston, he clearly is acting, because the shot was made after the fact.

He was right, we are living in a "Fictitious World"

Salome, I am certain this beat other documentaries that were more deserving of the title.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:51 AM   #54
War Child

Quote:

How can it be a documentary , when he is lying? Another lie would be purchasing an account with the bamnk and getting a gun. I am not denying the bank allowed you to get a free gun, but it did not happen the way he portrayed it. There was a manditory waiting period while the background check was conducted, and the actual gun had to be picked up at a gun store, not at the bank.

Have you checked his website Dread? He has a much longer clip of that scene on his website...it appears the bank does give him the gun then and there after the background check.

I was curious too about the (in)accuracies and he has responded to accusations on his website.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:54 AM   #55
New Yorker

This is just an excuse for Dread to show his dislike of Moore.

"I was curious too about the (in)accuracies and he has responded to accusations on his website."
Old 04-27-2004, 11:00 AM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:08 PM
Shoot the messenger....
Old 04-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #57
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:08 PM
Depending on one's perspective, would this be Dread or Moore?

Old 04-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

I do not like him. I will admit it. I am also intelligent enough to understand that he does make good points and not all of them are invalid.

I would question if some people could say the same about people they disagree with.

And Angela...shoot away!

I have researched his explinations for things and I find he does a good job at skirting the issues. I stand by my statement that the gun was not given out by the bank. It was staged in my opinion as was his talking to Mr. Heston as he walked away.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #59
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

please... this is merely a wardrobe malfunction
Old 04-27-2004, 03:04 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

LOL....no really he said it there....