campaign freak-out - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:07 AM
campaign freak-out

No, this has nothing to do with the infamous Dean outburst. I was just at a meeting at church and I sat next to a lady whose daughter is John Edwards' *national* director of communications!!! I was shocked! We were talking about the rosary society, then someone asked her about her children, and she said "oh, she's communications director for John Edward's presidential campaign". It turns out this girl has been in Democratic party politics for about eight years! We had an interesting conversation about Iowa, New Hampshire and so forth. I'm still in shock.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Cool!

I like him, I think I might even vote for him. I hope to God he doesn't drop out.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:49 PM   #3

kerry/edwards is my dream ticket. i'm going to get to meet both (kerry for the 2nd time) on february 7th. i really want edwards to do well in addition to kerry. anyone but dean!
Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

She told me that she has gotten a gazillion phone calls since Iowa, including one from a state senator.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #5

i'm really glad to see edwards doing so well...the media polls are decieving because all of the events in NH where edwards speaks are overflow room only. i believe he'll do really well...i hope and pray kerry will too and that dean will go down.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

That "screech speech" of Dean's probably nuked his candidacy, if his placement in the caucuses themselves didn't. Local rumors are still claiming that Kerry might not run well in the South; the best people from up East have problems in these parts. Not really fair, but..........that's why I wouldn't mind a Southerner. Edwards might even be the first Democrat to carry Alabama since '76 if he is the nominee. He's really catching on around here.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #7

yeah as a fellow southerner i know kerry won't do well in the south but he's 2nd in many polls in the south. that's one reason why i want a kerry/edwards ticket, because that would get both the north AND south.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
War Child

It's a pity that so much of this process is spent competing with each other, not against the opposition (Bush).
Dean wouldn't be a good President, but I was hoping that before his spotlight went out that he would be the guy who was not afraid to ask some real obvious questions of Bush without being afraid of how he'd be portraid to the all important Fox News demograph the next day. Sadly, he didn't do it. He sounded more like a confused college protest leader. I guess he had the balls, but not the brain. Really, I want someone to tear Bush to shreds in the debates. It shouldn't be difficult.

(As an aside, I often read/hear Americans talk about the 'liberal' media, from outside the US, the vast majority of the online newspapers I read, plus the US news channels we get here, lean right. I don't know what you are talking about!)
Old 01-27-2004, 09:45 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I think this "liberal" media label is a bad joke or something myself. This is the most competitive Democratic primary in some time, although in the past it has taken until March or April to decide the nominee. It's not all bad: the best guy will come out. It's not like some years when a mediocre candidate gets a free ride. But I agree, I want them to take on Bush sooner rather than later.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #10

I agree with everthing said too. I see no 'liberal' media...not the majority of it anyway. There are some parts that are liberal, but that's nothing compared to talk radio, fox, etc. Y'all should all read "Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them" by Al Franken if you haven't already. It's a riot.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:22 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 AM
and why isn't kerry going to do well in the south? i was sure he ran on the conservative side...voting for the war in iraq, supporting aspects of both the patriot act and no child left behind.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:51 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
and why isn't kerry going to do well in the south? i was sure he ran on the conservative side...voting for the war in iraq, supporting aspects of both the patriot act and no child left behind.
Geography and stereotypes. It's stupid, but some Southern voters just don't take to candidates from New England. I think they're cool, but there's alot of paranoia around here, I think. That's why people are throwing around the "electability" card and saying that the Democrats need a Southerner. Edwards is from North Carolina, thus some people like him better. It's crazy, I don't give a damn where someone was born, and I don't know why anyone does. Edwards is a good candidate, but it's because he's a great speaker, not because he was born in South Carolina and represents North Carolina. Kerry voted for the war, and he has a military background, and this will play well in the South. It's really conservative around here, this was Bush country when Clinton was president. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not my cup of tea politically because I happen to be a member of that endangered species called a Southern liberal.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:01 AM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 AM
i'm from freaking massachusetts, but that doesn't mean i automatically like kerry better.

wierd.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Geography and stereotypes. It's stupid, but some Southern voters just don't take to candidates from New England. I think they're cool, but there's alot of paranoia around here, I think. That's why people are throwing around the "electability" card and saying that the Democrats need a Southerner. Edwards is from North Carolina, thus some people like him better. It's crazy, I don't give a damn where someone was born, and I don't know why anyone does. Edwards is a good candidate, but it's because he's a great speaker, not because he was born in South Carolina and represents North Carolina. Kerry voted for the war, and he has a military background, and this will play well in the South. It's really conservative around here, this was Bush country when Clinton was president. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not my cup of tea politically because I happen to be a member of that endangered species called a Southern liberal.
well said! although i often speak of how i loathe 'yankees' its usually tongue in cheek. and i am proud to be a part of the shrinking breed of southern liberals!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:40 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

This must be like the nature preserve, since there are at least three of us on this forum. I'm too liberal for the Democrats, though.