Calvinism - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2004, 02:29 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:33 PM
As for Edwards on Predestination, we might as well move on to your other questions. I think the difference between us comes from....

Quote:
My emotions are obviously connected to that choice, but it's a heck of a lot safer to let your emotions follow your head than let your head follow your emotions.
...and your emphasis on reason.

It's true, anyone can argue either way to infinity. You can say you love your fiance b/c of certain tangible things that you choose to enjoy, and I can still say I didn't choose to like Phil, especially since there was a bad situation when we first started seeing each other, it just happened and there was nothing I could or can do about it.

The reason I love Edwards is b/c of his distinction between freedom and free will. It helps me b/c as a Calvinist, I'm not supposed to even entertain the idea of free will. Edwards is sort of a nice compromise. I'm sure it's a lot more attractive to me b/c you not being a Calvinist means you're free to believe in free will and whatnot.

So, as long as you understand Edwards' point of view, I think we can move on....

Old 05-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 01:33 PM
Any answer is a good answer for me. To be frank, I've always had a secret crush on Calvinism. I'd love to be able to look at the world and believe that God has complete control over every little thing. But with what's happening around us, I just can't believe it's all God's doing. Anyway, answer what you can. Anything is helpful.

Old 05-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #33
Refugee

Quote:
as a Calvinist, I'm not supposed to even entertain the idea of free will
Seriously?!! Is that an honest statement, or just an exaggeration to make a point?

Wow. I guess I've just never been around a brand of Christianity that is "against ideas." Maybe it just hit me the wrong way.

Sorry, had to respond to that. Go ahead . . .
Old 05-27-2004, 09:09 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by stammer476
If Phil ever pops the question, tell him you want to go to Vegas and do it Britney Spears style. It's just easier for everyone.
____

LOL!! I'll take this into consideration. However, unlike Britney, I'd like to be sober I think.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:37 PM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Philk?
LOL!! I'll take this into consideration. However, unlike Britney, I'd like to be sober I think.
I'm tellin' you man, I never would have thought that planning a wedding would completely suck. It takes the life out of you, bleeds away your free time, and before you know it, you're stuck somewhere in the feetle position weeping because you don't care if the accent flowers on the guestbook stand are fuscia or tope.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:11 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:33 AM
Actually, I think it's taupe. But I think I'd pick fuscia. haha. I do understand some. My sister got married a couple years ago and it even somewhat sucked for the rest of the family somehow...Anyway, sorry to interrupt. Back to Calvinism.

Good luck with everything!!!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:28 AM   #37
Refugee

Yeah . . . back to Calvinism.

*tapping fingers*

*whistling softly*

Wait, is it my turn? Oh no, now I'm confused.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:01 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:33 PM
I think it's actually mine. I need to address this:

Quote:
Quote:
As a Calvinist, I'm not supposed to even entertain the idea of free will
Seriously?!! Is that an honest statement, or just an exaggeration to make a point?

Wow. I guess I've just never been around a brand of Christianity that is "against ideas." Maybe it just hit me the wrong way.
What I meant was, I believe that it's not important for me to convince you that Edwards' theory is correct, or even relevant. The reason is that you've stated before as undenominational, you don't adhere to any specific doctrine. As Calvinist, I do, and one of them is that there is no such thing as free will. Therefore, Edwards is naturally more appealing to me because I need to understand how it works that we have no free will but still make what we think are our own choices. Kind of like if you were to not believe in ghosts and I did. Well, say I believe in them, but can't explain them so I'm interested in how ghosts "work". You wouldn't be b/c you didn't believe in them in the first place. I don't want to try and convince you that Edwards' treatment of free will is right when you don't even believe in a doctrine of free will in the first place. Your responses to Edwards indicate to me that you see some false login in his theory. But I won't make his case again because I believe that I've explained it the best I can (since it's very new to me) and you understand what I'm saying, just don't agree. Which is all fine.