call to ban and bury "gay" books - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2004, 03:54 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:20 PM
careful tennispunk. i'm from the south and VERY liberal. my family has lived in the south since the freakin country was colonized. we're not all bad down here!

Old 12-03-2004, 04:27 PM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:20 PM
Not sure how I offended you tennispunk. Feel free to hit me again for whatever I did.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:30 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a Southerner *and* a liberal. U2Dem and I are living proof that you can indeed be a Southerner and liberal. The idiot who's proposing this garbage is from my home state, yes, but he's going to hear from me and it's not exactly going to be flattery.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:31 PM   #79
War Child

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
what the hell is a pansexual
From here :

One who can love sexuality in many forms. Like bisexuality, but even more fluid, a pansexual person can love not only the traditional male and female genders, but also transgendered, androgynous, and gender fluid people.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #80
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Not sure how I offended you tennispunk. Feel free to hit me again for whatever I did.
Hey dude
you didn't. i intended the sarcasm to drip off the screen. oh well.
damn the internet and it's lack of inflection!

back to the point....that guy also refers to a "homosexual agenda." is this like Hitler referring to the Jewish agenda? people are so frustrating!
Old 12-03-2004, 05:04 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Alright, cool. I'm not exactly for what this guy is doing either, he's taking his stance a few steps too far. We live in an age where we can get practically anything we want legally, especially since we have the internet and all. This guy in particular is probably not the kind you want running a state, I can definately agree with that. I see his actions as an embarrassment to any conservative who thinks realistically. Or at least, a conservative who doesn't single out homosexuality over much worse ideas, such as murder, bestiality, and pedophilia. I also see how it can offend liberals as well.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:07 AM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
The idiot who's proposing this garbage is from my home state, yes, but he's going to hear from me and it's not exactly going to be flattery.
Heh, oh, I can just imagine some of the stuff you'll say. Rock on. And hopefully you won't be the only one sending a nasty letter. .

Angela
Old 12-04-2004, 05:47 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel

Heh, oh, I can just imagine some of the stuff you'll say. Rock on. And hopefully you won't be the only one sending a nasty letter. .

Angela
Oh, no, not when you've made an ass out of yourself in public like this.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:17 AM   #84
She's the One

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
I'm not exactly for what this guy is doing either, he's taking his stance a few steps too far.
How far should he take it then? Just how much of this do you think is right?

Quote:
Or at least, a conservative who doesn't single out homosexuality over much worse ideas, such as murder, bestiality, and pedophilia. I also see how it can offend liberals as well.
This is the second time you've cleverly linked homosexuality to these other things. This is a familiar-sounding tactic that bigots use to link homosexuality to these things.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Actually, I have to be honest martha. You took my statement way out of context. I think it's wrong to make homosexuality look any worse than murder and such. Disagree? This guy has every right to an opinion, but banning gay books is unrealistic. Many of the people who oppose gay marriage don't hate gays, and are not homophobes. They simply believe that homosexuality is a sin. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:44 AM   #86
She's the One

Local Time: 03:20 PM
Quote:
Many of the people who oppose gay marriage don't hate gays, and are not homophobes. They simply believe that homosexuality is a sin.
They simply belive that imposing their religion on others is an acceptable motivation for public policy.

Way back before we both were born, some believed that blacks and whites should not be allowed to marry because it was a sin. They simply believed that.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:04 PM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

They simply belive that imposing their religion on others is an acceptable motivation for public policy.
Nothing is wrong with having faith inspire your beliefs. If all humans were capable of following the Ten Commandments, we would be living in Utopia.

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Way back before we both were born, some believed that blacks and whites should not be allowed to marry because it was a sin. They simply believed that.
I'm well aware of that, and if they quoted the Bible, they took it out of context. This was not of God. The only thing in the Bible I can think of that says not to marry foreigners was in the Old Testament, simply as a warning to that it would lead into worshipping false gods, as quite a few gentiles did at the time.

If you take Martin Luther King into account, he said that he dreamed of living in a nation where his children wouldn't be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. Homosexuality is not a skin color, but a content of character.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

The letters to the editor page was full of irate letters about Allen today. Someone compared him to Hitler. Someone else is starting a campaign to get him kicked out of the Legislature. No supportive letters were published; I wonder if any were written.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
The letters to the editor page was full of irate letters about Allen today. Someone compared him to Hitler.
Letters are all good, but the comparison to Hitler is a bit of a cheapshot. I don't believe he's got plans for concentration camps any time soon.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #90
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Quote:
Homosexuality is not a skin color, but a content of character.
You say that based on what? Your opinion? Not everyone agrees that homosexuality is related to character at all, and many believe it is something inborn, completely separate from "character." It may be a genetic issue that is not clear yet at this stage in the game.

Either way, you cannot make a conclusive claim supporting one or the other.