call to ban and bury "gay" books - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2004, 10:35 AM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Well yeah, some feel that you must vote the lesser of two evils. I just wonder what his opponent stood for.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:05 AM   #62
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Where the hell were they when this clown was elected?
He's not from any district I'm in. I forget exactly which town he's from but it's not Birmingham. I don't know how these damn clowns get elected because it's not my district. I voted against Roy Moore in 2000, and well, gosh, Moore got elected, the guy I voted for didn't. I almost never vote for winning candidates, I'm so used to voting for losers it's crazy. That's what happens when you vote for even moderate liberals in an ultraconservative place like this.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:12 AM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Well yeah, some feel that you must vote the lesser of two evils. I just wonder what his opponent stood for.
Since it's not my district I don't know who his opponent was. But many of our elections really are the lesser of two evils. Alabama politics used to be worse in the sense that getting the endorsement of the Ku Klux Klan was an advantage, it could get you elected, and now Klan-associated candidates get the cold shoulder from the official parties because the black vote is something to be reckoned with now, but wasn't in the era before the Voting Rights laws were passed. But we've still got guys I'd definitely call "stinking Dixiecrats".
Old 12-02-2004, 11:17 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I know that there are some evangelical Christians who wouldn't vote for these clowns as well.
That's good . And I'm certainly not about to label everyone who's of the same religion as this guy as nutty because of his actions. Thankfully, there's people out there who are smarter than this guy.

Quote:
There are some protestants (a very small percentage) who claim that Catholics won't go to heaven - total bull.
No kidding. I was raised in the Protestant faith and I certainly don't agree with that. If there is a heaven after all this is said and done, I personally feel anybody, as long as they were a good, kind-hearted person, will be up there, be they Catholic or Prostestant or whatever else.

Angela
Old 12-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #65
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a Catholic who was raised a Protestant, but hey, I think God loves all of us. That's one thing I feel secure about saying. He doesn't like sin, but that's something we all do, no matter what we do in the area of religion/worship. I don't have time for narrow-minded idiots like, unfortunately, too many of our guys in Montgomery are. Incidentally, another Alabama interlander who's a Republican, U2Alabama, agrees with me about the clowns in Montgomery, I don't think he likes them any more than I do. I can say that without feeling like I'm putting words in his mouth. He said as much in his posts.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:48 PM   #66
She's the One

Local Time: 04:11 PM
That whole "lesser of two evils" excuse can be such a cop-out. I have a hunch that this guy was elected because people actually wanted him to represent them. I had to suffer through years of Bob Dornan, the biggest lame-ass in Congress at the time, because my fellow Orange Countians actually liked the guy.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:19 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
That whole "lesser of two evils" excuse can be such a cop-out. I have a hunch that this guy was elected because people actually wanted him to represent them. I had to suffer through years of Bob Dornan, the biggest lame-ass in Congress at the time, because my fellow Orange Countians actually liked the guy.
Oh, sure, some people think these holes are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't put anything past my Christian Right Alabamians who run these guys' campaigns and all of that jazz.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:24 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's not really an excuse, you have to know what this guy stands for, then you have to know what his opponent stands for. I don't always vote on my favorite guy in the world, because often times, I don't even have a favorite. Out of principle, I would rather support a man who I have fewer disagreements with, unless he was some kind of nazi not too long ago.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

I didn't exactly love Roy Moore's opponent, but gosh, Moore turned me off so much that I didn't mind casting a vote for the guy.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:08 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I actually admire Roy Moore, but I can see why a liberal believer might find him to be an embarassment.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:47 AM   #71
She's the One

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Never mind. Posting without enough sleep.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:49 AM   #72
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It's all good.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:14 PM   #73
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
Well first of all, Macfistowannabe, we all know that creationism is a science and should be taught in biology alongside evolution.

Ok now that I got that sarcasm out of my system.....
This is an absolutely shameful assault on the first amendment, in addition to its flagrant bigotry. In 50 years, people are going to look back at this evangelical prejudice sweeping the nation now and equate it with the black mark that was Jim Crow through the 1960s. We needed the 1967 case Loving v. Virginia to legalize inter-racial marriages in VA, and this anti-gay marriage, anti-gay literature is equally offensive. People who write bills like this make me embarrassed to be American, and instill in me the desire never to venture south of the Mason/Dixon Line (domestically). ARGH!

Quote:
If we were to ban gay books, we'd have to ban lustful books long before it, along with evolution books. That pretty much means burn down a few libraries. This guy's agenda hardly makes sense. He can disagree with homosexuality if he wants, but banning books is not going to stop it.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:30 PM   #74
The Fly

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Hey hey hey, tennispunk! Let's not go equating this stuff you hate with a particular geographic area!

Fact: the only school district still under federally-mandated desegregation orders is in the oh-so-enlightened area north of the mason-dixon.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #75
Acrobat

Location: Chicago till July, then moving to Belfast for grad school
well i hate grits, can i equate those with the south?

more seriously though.....i have a lot of friends up here from the south and from texas. in fact, i venture to say that i haven't met anyone in chicago who's from the south who i dislike. but then, these are the people who LEFT the south.

cheers!

Quote:
Originally posted by pwmartin
Hey hey hey, tennispunk! Let's not go equating this stuff you hate with a particular geographic area!

Fact: the only school district still under federally-mandated desegregation orders is in the oh-so-enlightened area north of the mason-dixon.