California Legislature OKs Gay Marriage Bill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was actually going to post this last Friday. One piece of good news in a world of bad. Here's hoping that Arnie does the right thing.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

The joy on the two women's faces pictured in the article is the exact reason why every state should approve this bill. "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", right?

well "all men are created equal" too. we learned that only meant white, male property owners though.

if marriage can mean anything, then it means nothing.

will someone please think of the children before we start seeing man-on-dog sex in the streets?

Irvine511 said:
if marriage can mean anything, then it means nothing.

will someone please think of the children before we start seeing man-on-dog sex in the streets?

LOL Irvine! :lol: Very nice.

Seriously, though, it is good news for us here and a good start, I think. However, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before the fundies start screaming, pulling their hair out, and protesting this one with hateful signs that show everyone what wonderful Christians they are.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I thought Arnold supported gay marriage, I'm just stupid and wrong about that I guess :der:

hey, if gays getting married means more p:censored:y for him ...

on a personal level he supports at the very least civil unions, though he will probably have to tow the Republican Party line, since this is a central part of their national platform.

expect Giuliani to have to do the same thing when he runs for president in 2008, despite the fact that after his divorce he moved in with two gay guys and a shiz tsu.

Irvine511 said:
despite the fact that after his divorce he moved in with two gay guys and a shiz tsu.

this sentence is too good to ignore.

and :up: to any state which is sensible enough to recognise the right of gay people to marry.

Irvine -- Rudy had his faults but also his good side. Besides, even Republican mayors of NYC are usually more liberal than Democratic mayors in other cities. That's the only way they can get elected in the Big Apple.

I've been a wife for two months now and love it! I like being introduced as "my wife" or introducing Aaron to someone as "my husband". I love going to bars with my wedding ring on. "Sorry, as you can see from my hand, I may be on a girl's night out, but this ring means I'm going home to someone who loves me."

There is an amazing joy that comes with being married and that shouldn't be taken away from people just because they aren't a traditional man and wife. Liz Taylor makes a mockery of marriage every time she gets married to someone else. Britney Spears and Nicky Hilton made mockeries of the institution after their quickie Vegas marriages and quickie divorces, but I don't see anyone making a law that they can't get married again. Heck, Brit got married to some random guy less than a year after the Vegas debacle.

sharky said:
Irvine -- Rudy had his faults but also his good side. Besides, even Republican mayors of NYC are usually more liberal than Democratic mayors in other cities. That's the only way they can get elected in the Big Apple.

i criticize Rudy with respect.

heck, i'd probably consider voting for Rudy, despite how he'll have to say things he doesn't believe in order to capture the center and the right of the Republican Party.

i do fault him, to a degree, but such is the price of being a Republican in 2005. i wonder if pictures of Rudy attending the NYC Gay Pride Parades will be used by the Rove machine to demolish him in the South Carolina primaries?

Irvine511 said:

i criticize Rudy with respect.

heck, i'd probably consider voting for Rudy, despite how he'll have to say things he doesn't believe in order to capture the center and the right of the Republican Party.

i do fault him, to a degree, but such is the price of being a Republican in 2005. i wonder if pictures of Rudy attending the NYC Gay Pride Parades will be used by the Rove machine to demolish him in the South Carolina primaries?

i'd give anything to see rudy and mccain run together as independents and blow both parties out of the water.

well Arnold certainly knows all about healthy relationships w/ women..

"I used to feel that women were here for one reason. Sex was simply another kind of exercise, another body function. I was convinced a girl and I couldn't communicate on equal footing because she wouldn't understand what I was doing. I didn't have time to take one girl out regularly and go through a normal high-school romance with all its phone calls and notes and squabbles. That took too much time. I needed to be in the gym. For me it was a simple matter of picking them up at the lake, and then never seeing them again."

wow :heart:

to be fair he wrote that concerning when he was a teenager, maybe his attitude has changed slightly since then :wink:

I just saw some interesting photos where I read that too :ohmy:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
that could have been written by 90% of heterosexual american male teenagers... i'd imagine austrian ones, too

that says good things about men :up:

sadly it could be written by many not-so-teenagers too

Anyway I don't want to veer off from the topic pax started, let's just hope Arnold shows the respect for gay relationships that I think they deserve. Funny how so many of these politicians have certain attitudes about women and inappropriate/dysfunctional relationships w/ women (and in Arnold's case it's not just as a teen, let's not forget his other shenanigans), yet they show such disdain for gay people who just want to marry people they are in love with and have been with for many years in many cases.

you know what i find so remarkable about this, and it's not just the Katrina news vortex: no one really cares all that much.

2 years ago it would have been front page news; today, it's almost a non-issue.

so it gets vetoed? give it another 2 years.

"The legislation could be vetoed by Gov.
Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has expressed an acceptance of gay marriages but said it's an issue that should be decided by voters or the courts.

"He will uphold whatever the court decides," spokeswoman Margita Thompson said Tuesday after the state Assembly approved the same-sex marriage measure, 41-35

MrsSpringsteen said:
"The legislation could be vetoed by Gov.
Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has expressed an acceptance of gay marriages but said it's an issue that should be decided by voters or the courts.

"He will uphold whatever the court decides," spokeswoman Margita Thompson said Tuesday after the state Assembly approved the same-sex marriage measure, 41-35

The legislation WILL be vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Well I may be against gay marriage, but if a state enacts a law allowing it, I won't fight against it. If it's a majority wish to have something in a state, then that something should happen.

Give the people what they want.

Schwarzenegger Vows Gay Marriage Bill Veto

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger announced Wednesday he will veto a bill that would have made California the first state to legalize same-sex marriage through its elected lawmakers.

Schwarzenegger said the legislation, given final approval Tuesday by lawmakers, would conflict with the intent of voters when they approved an initiative five years ago. Proposition 22 was placed on the ballot to prevent California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries.

"We cannot have a system where the people vote and the Legislature derails that vote," the governor's press secretary, Margita Thompson, said in a statement. "Out of respect for the will of the people, the governor will veto (the bill)."

Proposition 22 stated that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California." The bill to be vetoed by Schwarzenegger would have defined marriage as a civil contract between "two persons."

I'm not surprised. "Moderate Republicans" are nothing but cowards, and they will bend over for conservatives every time. No exceptions. That's why I hope McCain/Giuliani go down in flames.

And at least we now know where "the Governator" stands. He now stands as our enemy as well. He who is not with me is against me.

Melon

Last edited:
:sigh:...

You know, with everything Katrina-related going on, it really amazes me that people still haven't learned this yet-life is far too short to get all up in arms over things such as the idea of two men or two women getting married. Shouldn't these disasters be a way to get people to realize that the only way our civilization can survive at all is if we're, you know, kind to each other and respectful and all that good stuff?Arrrrrgggggghhhhh...

And I'm not exempting myself from that, either. I've been just as guilty of that sort of thing.

sharky, excellent post from you :up:. I'm not in a relationship myself at this time, but I still wholeheartedly agree with your general sentiment :). I'm glad to hear that you guys are happy together-here's to a long and happy life together for you guys :hug:.

Also...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i'd give anything to see rudy and mccain run together as independents and blow both parties out of the water.

...I can't say I'd have much of a problem with this combination, either :up:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom