CA Supreme Court-Doctors Cannot Invoke Religious Beliefs To Deny Treatment - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Thank you for clarifying...

Hey now that I turned 40 two weeks or so ago, I really feel close to you.
belated Happy Birthday to you

I hope you got more than a stone in your sack !

Old 08-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Do you want doctors to have the right not to perform plastic surgery on young girls because they're uncomfortable performing the surgery for reasons of conscience?

This isn't a black and white case. No doctor should be allowed to decide to harm (or allow harm to come to) a patient because of an issue of conscience, but if its not a life/death issue there is more room for discussion.
There is a difference between ethics and morals. This would be an ethical issue.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:28 PM   #33
Refugee

This ruling is bullshit. Plain and simple. There are enough doctors out there (especially in the United States!!!) that if a few don't want to do a procedure the patient can always find a doctor who will do it. If the facist section of the leftwing had it's way this law would apply to abortion as well. Granted, I still think the doctors in this case are boobs, but what about a law like this pertaining to abortion. The government cannot force a doctor to perform an abortion if he/she does not believe in it...can they????
Old 08-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
This ruling is bullshit. Plain and simple. There are enough doctors out there (especially in the United States!!!) that if a few don't want to do a procedure the patient can always find a doctor who will do it. If the facist section of the leftwing had it's way this law would apply to abortion as well. Granted, I still think the doctors in this case are boobs, but what about a law like this pertaining to abortion. The government cannot force a doctor to perform an abortion if he/she does not believe in it...can they????
If the doctors offer abortions, and then say

"We refuse to serve you
you are less than human
go to a veterinarian."
Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #35
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You are grossly misunderstanding the ruling. No one is forcing a podiatrist to perform an abortion.

If the doctor doesn't believe in insemination then they can go and be an orthopedic surgeon.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:52 PM   #36
She's the One

Quote:
This ruling is bullshit. Plain and simple. There are enough doctors out there (especially in the United States!!!) that if a few don't want to do a procedure the patient can always find a doctor who will do it.

Unless the patient is in a small town.

Good thing the docs in Canada can't refuse to treat over-reacting conspriracy theorists who really dislike assertive women.

You'd be fucked.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
If the doctor doesn't believe in insemination then they can go and be an orthopedic surgeon.
indeed.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
What is your experience with California state discrimination law? Which section of the law do you think was misapplied?

You aren't just rejecting this court's ruling because you disagree with the result, right?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
What is your experience with California state discrimination law? Which section of the law do you think was misapplied?

You aren't just rejecting this court's ruling because you disagree with the result, right?
Apparently reading the actual case is superfluous.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Apparently reading the actual case is superfluous.
When it comes to cases with ethical and moral issues, I don't understand why some people view the courts almost religiously- like they're deciding good and evil for us. The issue the SC decided was more worldly, simply "was this permissible under California law", and the answer was evidently "no". That's it. The law could be stupid, but that's not a judge's fault. I don't have anything invested in the California decision, if their reasoning was flawed I'd genuinely be interested to hear where.

Ironically, most people would probably say that evaluating a ruling based on your gut emotion, not the case law is the definition of an activist court.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:49 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

The thing is, most of the argument on this thread was centred on whether IVF is a necessary medical procedure and whether it is a RIGHT to be inseminated. Neither of these was an actual live issue before the judge. It was really a simple case of statutory interpretation of the relevant provision dealing with discrimination.

So the outrage on this thread is completely unrelated to the case at hand.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:03 PM
In reading the info in the original post I got that the legal basis for the judgement has nothing to do with the defendants in the case being doctors or even that what they were selling were medical procedures, but that they are operating a business and as such are not allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation. It is legally the same as if she went into her local deli and ordered a sandwich. The deli could not refuse to serve her because she is a lesbian.

Interestingly, the doctors may still have been allowed to refuse to treat the plaintiff because she was unmarried at the time she sought treatment from them in 2000. In 2006 the law was amended to include marital status as well, but according to the article it's unclear if change would be retroactive.

Lawyer-type people -- is how I'm reading that correct? If not, where have I gone wrong?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
In reading the info in the original post I got that the legal basis for the judgement has nothing to do with the defendants in the case being doctors or even that what they were selling were medical procedures, but that they are operating a business and as such are not allowed to discriminate based on sexual orientation. It is legally the same as if she went into her local deli and ordered a sandwich. The deli could not refuse to serve her because she is a lesbian.
I'm not a lawyer type but I think that's correct

It gets all complicated apparently because there are females and/or lesbians involved
Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Is "No shoes, no shirt, no service" discriminatory? Is it illegal? Can you discriminate against someone because they're not holding to what some would say is an arbitrary standard set by the business? Is it illegal for a business to reserve the right to refuse service? I'm intrigued to know what people think these lines should be.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

don't have time to read the replies but having to have heard about this last night....
I say....

...Good!!