Bye, bye Latham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Our opposition leader has stepped down, so he is now former opposition leader.

Latham quits Labor leadership
From staff writers and wires
January 18, 2005

MARK Latham has resigned as federal Labor leader and stepped down as the member for Werriwa, citing ill-health and the desire for a normal family life for his decision.
Mr Latham announced he was resigning from politics at a hastily arranged press conference in Sydney this afternoon .

"A number of colleagues have asked me to address the uncertainty concerning the Labor leadership," Mr Latham told journalists.

"While I had planned to reassess things at the end of my leave period on the 26th of January, the ongoing speculation is damaging the party and needs to be dealt with now.

"(My family's) conclusion is that I should look after my health and pursue a normal life outside of politics.

"Therefore I've decided to resign both as Labor leader and Member for Werriwa."
link

We really dodged that bullet, a sickly and unstable crybaby of an opposition leader who wanted to run a populist Whitlamesque campaign, at least he wasnt dragged away screaming "ease the squeeze", "ladder of opportunity" and the draining "boy from Green Valley" story. Thankfully we have Beazley and as an alternative and I have a lot of respect for him, Kevin Rudd could be good, Gillard however makes Helen Clark look like Sir Winston Churchill.

Last edited:
He just wants to go to more Church concerts! ;)

yeah right. You have a lot of respect for Beazley, unless he really looked within shot of the Lodge; then he'd suddenly be too dangerous or something.

Whatever. I could care less about Latham, he was as rightwing as you can be and still belong in the ALP. Good fucking riddance.

I felt rather American with how pleased I was at this. I never liked Latham one bit. His 'stepping down' couldn't have come sooner as now hopefully the ALP can use the next 3 years to really develop an opposition worth voting for. Dunno if Beazley will be any less passive than before, but if someone can light a firework up his arse, the ALP might finally become a serious party again.

I missed this. Not suprising as I don't watch the TV. So Beazleys back? hmmm.

He lives near my workplace. I shall have to bump into him when I return to work.

Okay. Just read a wee bit. Beazleys not back just yet. He's the fav.

Can I put in a request for a non alcoholic, non violent, caring, sharing leader with balls (figurtively) ?

Thanks.

beli said:
Okay. Just read a wee bit. Beazleys not back just yet. He's the fav.

Can I put in a request for a non alcoholic, non violent, caring, sharing leader with balls (figurtively) ?

Thanks.

Damn! I was hoping to send ya Bush, but he wouldn't exactly measure up to your standards.... :mad:

indra said:

Damn! I was hoping to send ya Bush, but he wouldn't exactly measure up to your standards.... :mad:

lol. Bush is roughly the equivalent of our Howard. The one that has just stood down, Latham, is on the other side of the political fence. (technically)

beli said:

Why request when ones right in front of you,

johnhwrd.jpg

:wink:

I kid, I kid.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist, I will also state for the record that the ammount of money used to buy off the soggy middle of the electorate by Howard is very annoying.

Last edited:
Ha! You reckon that's bad? I stole mum's Christmas present for a while - the dvd game of who wants to be a millionaire. It is causing me great anguish at how crooked Eddie Macguire's tie is. Like I needed another reason to dislike the man :mad:

But back on topic, I'm really really glad Latham has gone.
:up:

Good that Latham has gone but there really isn't anyone who is a stand out at this time as a replacement apart from Beazley but his track record isn't that great.

Actually, John Howard is the perfect role model/precedent for Kim Beazley, should he return.

I mean, we do remember what Howard was in 1995, don't we? A former opposition leader who lost to Bob Hawke in 1987 and then was knifed in the back by his own party two years later. But it was a step up from Alexander Downer, yes. He had 'experience', so they brought him back, because really they had nobody else.

Back
Top Bottom