Bye Bye Blair - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:40 PM
Bye Bye Blair

Blair is to resign on the 27th of June , whats everyone's reaction to this ?

EDUCATION - Failed
NHS - Failed
LAW AND ORDER -Failed

Old 05-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LJT 02-05-2007 02:36 AM -
Blair really isn't in control of the country anymore, all the diplomatic meetings etc are being carried out by Gordon Brown, there is only one reason I can think why Blair is still remaining on.....he wants to sort out the Northern Ireland assembly, it is the only thing he can salvage that will be a good mark in history for him.
LJT nailed it - in this thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 10:40 AM
I have friends in the UK who feel the same way about Blair as many feel about the Bushes in the US. They abhor him. They say he cares more about any other country and people than Britain. That's not fair, right or healthy. I hope he's out. Time for a change.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #4
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:40 PM
First time I think I have ever been quoted for something

Honestly, I think people are being a bit unfair to Blair if they make a direct comparison between him and Bush...for a start I believe Blair to be no where near as incompetent as Bush. Apart from the war in Iraq, idelogically they are very different people.

Honestly in the past 10 years I think we would have been far worse of if the Conservatives had continued in power......and if you want to see Blair's lasting impact, look no further that David Cameron the leader of the Conservatives, to make themselves electable they have had to create Blair lite....Blair has forced politics to the certain ground, which I find better than the extremes.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I want a real leadership contest for the next Labour party leader , they owe that to the public.

In a Prime Minster i want a real Nothern Man / Women who really cares about issues that effect the average joe working man or women.
I was hoping John Reid or some other senior labour party figures were to challange Brown but that doesnt look like its happening.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

John Reid would be awful

9 ministerial posts in 10 years......he has never hung around to do anything of consequence.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:28 AM   #7
The Fly

I've voted for Blair in all the General elections (i live in his constituency) and will miss him.Don't get me wrong,i know he's made mistakes and i totally agree Iraq has been a disaster but i'm in my mid-thirties so i can remember all to well the Tories in charge.15% interest rates,the treatment of the Miners,clause 28 (for those of you outside the U.K. this was an amendment to the local government act which would:-"not promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship".I think he has been a brave leader by getting rid of the majority of Hereditory peers,Fox hunting and bringing in a minimum wage.Also the tories were against LIVE AID !!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^

EDUCATION EDUCATION EDUCATION

TOUGH ON CRIME AND TOUGH ON THE CAUSES OF CRIME

Do these phrases mean nothing to you ?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:57 AM   #9
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Crime levels have dropped overall, just I believe violent crime has increased.....which is the scarier figure the media like to latch onto.

He did focus on education an awful lot, it was a priority, he has just had mixed results with his policies.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
Honestly, I think people are being a bit unfair to Blair if they make a direct comparison between him and Bush...for a start I believe Blair to be no where near as incompetent as Bush. Apart from the war in Iraq, idelogically they are very different people.

Honestly in the past 10 years I think we would have been far worse of if the Conservatives had continued in power......and if you want to see Blair's lasting impact, look no further that David Cameron the leader of the Conservatives, to make themselves electable they have had to create Blair lite....Blair has forced politics to the certain ground, which I find better than the extremes.

this is a good summation of my outsider perspective.

yes, Blair has made a mistake with Iraq, and what's worse, his endorsement gave the whole debacle an air of much needed legitimacy to the American public back in 2002/3 -- that October 2002 dossier got lots of attention over here -- so he was ultimately the prime enabler of what has turned out to be a calamity.

from afar, i always admired Blair's political skills -- i always enjoyed Question Time, which i'd sometimes catch at odd hours on C-Span -- and he did seem to be, at the beginning, the Way Forward (or whatever the phrase was). he came across as smart and sincere, but i can see how, if you live with that every day for 10 years, it starts to come across as quite hollow.

Britain seems, on the whole, to be a very vibrant, multicultural place these days, and London has probably surpassed New York as the de facto "global capital," not necessarily in influence, but in its wildly diverse reflection of the world-as-it-is. whether that has anything to do with Blair directly, i don't know, but i don't think it was true 10 years ago.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I use 'Honestly...' too much, plus the spelling was quite bad in that post

I think London has overtaken New York recently as the finance capital of the world.

Iraq was wrong but I don't think I have ever doubted his sincerity in what he believed to be right. I thought the speach he gave yesterday was quite good and a fair summation of his premiership.

Foreign policy has been his failing but I don't think on the whole...he had everyone with him through Kosovo, Sierra Leone and Afghanistan...Iraq was where he failed, but I don't think a different prime minister would have did anything other than back the US
Old 05-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LJT
[B]I think London has overtaken New York recently as the finance capital of the world.

i've heard this too, and i think New York is in the midst of quite a bit of self-flaggelation, but the fact is that London is more geographically central to the rest of the world than New York is, so this might be the future.

[q]Iraq was wrong but I don't think I have ever doubted his sincerity in what he believed to be right. I thought the speach he gave yesterday was quite good and a fair summation of his premiership.[/q]

while i don't doubt his sincerity -- though i'm sure the more cynical might -- a good politician needs to realize that intentions are nothing; it's only results that matter. you have to be as good as you think you are, it's not enough to have simply tried to do the righ thing, and more self-reflection and self-criticism might have changed things. now, it's 4 years too late. we can't improve our judgement of his leadership simply because he says he tried his best and struggled to do the right thing

at least he has the capacity for such thinking, though. Bush certainly isn't equipped with the faculties for anything approaching self-examination.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:40 AM
The roll out of CCTV and soft totalitarianism to reduce crime seem to have the support of both parties; it will probably become more restrictive before more people wake up.

http://www.no2id.net/
Old 05-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

^ID cards are stupid and costly, I have no issues with CCTV though

The road to hell is paved with good intentions....results as you say are what matters...and sadly it is probably better to have someone who doesn't believe they are doing the right thing, but who is better at managing it.

I think most politicians need to take a management course or something similar, it might save us the people a lot of headaches. If Bush and Blair were heads of any large corporation, they would have had to step down after a debacle like Iraq.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm obviously in a minority of people when i say that i really like Tony Blair and i think he's been a brilliant PM for us

Sorry Carek, i don't agree with your friends views on him at all really!