Bye Bye Blair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Put it this way i felt safer 10 years ago than i do today and thats nothing to do with terroism.

Much rather spend a night in jail than a NHS hospital.

Greenlight said:

Who could forget that although if the Conservatives get in next time I think Boris Johnson could give Prezza a run for his money in the entertainment stakes.

True! I always love it whenever Boris appears on Have I Got News For You. :laugh:

Yes, to say Tony Blair has flaws is an understatement. I like many wish he had had the balls to stand up to Bush when the time came for that 4 years ago. I did not intend to say he was a great Prime Minister...just a great politician and I stand by that.

What I'm meaning to say is that I don't think history will look as horribly on him as it will on Bush. That being said, I hope to get a chance to see him on an inevitable speaking tour, and I hope Gordon Brown will be better at standing up to Bush, and that he doesn't crumple under the pressure of having to follow Blair.

Am Scottish and I think Brown is a twat. Anyone Scotsman that comes out and states his fave football moment is the time gazza scored a goal for "the auld enemy" (England) is a complete horses ass!!
I even dont like the look of him. He has a sly nature about him and he is so artificial.

TheQuiet1 said:

True! I always love it whenever Boris appears on Have I Got News For You. :laugh:

Boris is god, he can basically get away with anything....might make a good prime minister:wink:

gman said:
Am Scottish and I think Brown is a twat. Anyone Scotsman that comes out and states his fave football moment is the time gazza scored a goal for "the auld enemy" (England) is a complete horses ass!!
I even dont like the look of him. He has a sly nature about him and he is so artificial.

Yeah agree , i dont trust him either.

He is the man responsible for ruining the nations pension schemes..

anitram said:

That's pretty much always been the case and has nothing to do with Blair. The Brits keep their pound artificially high. The fact the disparity is now greater is a reflection on the US dollar going down, not on Blair enacting some marvelous economic reforms.

It's not held high artificially that much, but rather had to do with the philosophy of keeping unemployment low.
From 1945 until Margaret Thatcher entered into government, every government was crazy about keeping a low unemployment. So they didn't care about high inflation that much, which was mainly what pushed the pound up that high.
When Thatcher came into office she introduced a whole new philosophy, saying that a high inflation is a lot worse than low unemployment. Because you can't have both, unemployment increased, but inflation has been stabilised since then.

With Blair privatising the Bank of England he did something really unique. Now the Bank of England can act independently from what politicians would like them to do in order to get re-elected (well, as independently as one they can be) and together with the European system of Central Banks it's their philosophy to keep inflation just under two per cent, which means currency stability.
You can control inflation a whole lot easier than unemplyoment, because you have very powerful means to achieve the inflation target you set for your country. For example, by changing the base rate for interests.
I'm curious, Blair never excepted that the UK might introduce the Euro some time in future. The Conservatives, however, were more strict and with them in power it's rather unlikely that Britain would join the Euro Zone in near future.

But I don't know the position of Brown on that. And how long will Brown probably govern before the next general elections?

I think Brown has 2-3 years...a general election can be called every 4/5 years in Britain I think, so he will probably try and maximise his reign to 3 years.

Might be interesting what impact he will have. Not much time, and if the people not just see a lame duck in him he might get something done.

I've always liked Brown a lot actually and i think he may surprise people :up:

Tony Blair is an incredibly courageous man. Most of the British people opposed the war in Iraq, but he did it anyway. He risked breaking the trust he had with the electorate. I don't really know anything about his NHS policy, but I think we need an NHS in the States. We need to do something about health care. Anyway, I'm not sure we'll see his like again. I don't think Brown has what he has in terms of charisma and courage.

^ actually a majority of the British people backed the war in Iraq under the understanding we could get nuked in 45 mins.

vaz02 said:
^ actually a majority of the British people backed the war in Iraq under the understanding we could get nuked in 45 mins.

nothing like a bit of sexed-up intelligence.

there's also no question, though, that Blair and the British Intelligence community gave the war a massive dose of credibility in the eyes of more moderate Americans. without their support, i'm not sure the war would have ever gone forward.

Tony blair came to my college today in a helicopter and i put my hand out like many others did and he walked past me.

I hopefulyl get some pictures up.

Irvine511 said:

nothing like a bit of sexed-up intelligence.

there's also no question, though, that Blair and the British Intelligence community gave the war a massive dose of credibility in the eyes of more moderate Americans. without their support, i'm not sure the war would have ever gone forward.

I know. This really pissed me off. I opposed the invasion and Bush didn't need the credibility.

As much as Blair supported Bush, I think that Bush was so hell-bent that even if he hadn't had Blair's support he still would have gone in...but Blair did make it easier on him.

At least Blair was able to admit mistakes and hold on to whatever shred of dignity he had left...Bush not so much.

ETA: NBC's Brian Williams will be in London tomorrow to interview Blair...I'm really looking forward to that one.

You're probably right, u2dem. Bush was awfully hell bent on invading Iraq. But, Blair made it easier for him by supporting him. Blair could have gone with Chiraq and Schroeder, but he didn't.

Jack Straw wants to be chancellor when brown moves next door.

Its unfortunate to see Blair go. He has been an excellant ally of the United States for all of the years he has been in office. Its true his views did help lend more credibility to Bush's arguements and indeed did in some small way influence the political debate about Iraq in the United States. Still, in the years to come, the United Kingdom will continue to be the United States closest ally in both Iraq and Afghanistan, despite the much reduced level of British forces in Iraq that has actually been gradually declining ever since Saddam was toppled. British forces have been very successful in southern Iraq and their casualties have only been a fraction of the what the British military suffered in Northern Ireland in the early 1970s.

Hopefully Brown will be tough on Bush, it might give some credability back into our relationship other than monkey say monkey do.

Back
Top Bottom