But This is People's Lives - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

"Karl said there are no votes or money in Africa"

I didn't include the response b/c it includes enough debate for 50 additional threads...

Old 04-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:42 PM
response please,

I bet it included something like

"there is only so much we can do."

"Africa's problems need to be solved by Africans"

Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I didn't include the response b/c it includes enough debate for 50 additional threads...
Oh you tease lol...
Old 04-11-2006, 10:45 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Well, he didn't go into much detail b/c we were working on something else at the time, but the answers he mentioned were more to do with the business sector, US investments in African businesses, etc, because that't what Aba was there to discuss. He didn't mention the hunger/poverty/pandemics issue, but I don't think either man wanted to open that can of worms.

Basically I just thought it was honorable of him to actually posit the question directly to the President in the first place. I could only ever dream of being in that position, and I have doubts that I'd be brave enough to follow through.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:53 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Now I'm even MORE curious!!

True that it was a very bold and brave opening line.

Spill it...all of it...however little detail...lol
Old 04-11-2006, 11:01 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Honestly I don't remember much more than that because he had just passed back grades and evaluations of all of our work thus far, so I was a bit distracted trying to decipher his grading rubric. That, plus his accent is heavy so you have to be paying complete attention to understand him.

EDIT: If you'd like to know specifics, I can e-mail him and ask for the complete story.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:42 PM
Here is a VERY HOPEFUL article about what the U.K. plans to do to help end extreme poverty in Africa - ONE schoolchild at a time!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4893980.stm

Brown unveils Africa school funds

The chancellor is making his second visit to Africa in 18 months
Chancellor Gordon Brown has said the UK will give $15bn (£8.5bn) in overseas aid for education in Africa and Asia.
The 10-year funding plan is part of the pledge by the world's richest nations to help every African child have access to a primary school by 2015.

Speaking during a visit to a school in Mozambique, Mr Brown said: "In 2005, Make Poverty History forced governments to make promises on aid.

"Now, in 2006 it is time for us to keep our promises."

International Development Secretary Hilary Benn meanwhile said: "Education is a basic human right, and to get every child into school we need more investment.

"Working with developing countries, through increased commitment from the UK, will help train more teachers, build more classrooms and give more children the best start in life."

Mandela challenge

Conservative international development spokesman Andrew Mitchell warned "noble rhetoric" often failed to become "effective action on the ground".

"It appals us all that over 100 million children around the world are missing out on an education," he added.

"This is a waste of talent and potential. If British taxpayers' money is spent well, it has the potential to make a real difference, but only if we monitor continually the outputs, results and effectiveness."

Meanwhile Live 8 organiser Bob Geldof said: "Education for all in Africa is essential for the eventual eradication of poverty and was one of the historic promises made by the G8 at Gleneagles.

"In the next few weeks and months, starting at the World Bank Spring Meetings in Washington, the leaders and finance ministers of the G8 must deliver as Gordon Brown has done so impressively today."

Mr Brown and the former South African president Nelson Mandela are challenging world leaders to honour the pledges made last year.

In 2005 the international community agreed to provide an extra $50bn a year in aid - the money earmarked for education spending is part of the UK's contribution to that total.

Mr Brown and Mr Mandela also urged African countries to increase links with UK schools.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREAT NEWS for Africa's Future!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

And here is Bono's and Bob Geldof's reaction to this plan:

http://www.data.org/archives/000782.php

DATA REACTION TO BROWN EDUCATION ANNOUNCEMENT

Geldof and Bono Reaction to Gordon Brown Education Drive

DATA today welcomed UK Chancellor Gordon Brown’s commitment to spend at least $15 billion on aid for education over the next ten years. When G8 finance ministers meet in April in Washington and when G8 leaders meet in July in St Petersburg they should make clear how they intend to implement the commitment they made in 2005 to ensure a basic education for every child. Currently 100 million children in the world’s poorest countries do not get to go to school. African governments should now develop clear long term plans to deliver education for all.

“This is great news. Last summer, the G8 made a promise on education to the poorest of the poor, and Gordon Brown is following through. This is a man who believes going to school should be a right not a privilege. We want to see leaders like President Bush, Chancellor Merkel and Prime Minister Harper step forward. One thing that all these leaders agree on is that to fight extreme stupid poverty, getting kids in schools is one of the best investments we can make” said DATA founder Bono

“Education for all in Africa is essential for the eventual eradication of poverty and was one of the historic promises made by the G8 at Gleneagles. Promises that were made because millions of people in Britain and around the world demanded them. We now move to implementation. In the next few weeks and months, starting at the World Bank Spring Meetings in Washington, the leaders and finance ministers of the G8 must deliver as Gordon Brown has done so impressively today.” Said Live 8 organiser Bob Geldof.

Facts and Figures on Education

• 100 million children out of school globally, 44 million of them live in sub-Saharan Africa.

• Half of all children in Africa do not receive a primary school education and 57% of them are girls. The statistics for rural girls are even worse than those for girls living in urban areas.

• Just 17% of girls in Sub-Saharan Africa enroll in secondary school.

• Of those girls who do complete primary school in Africa and South Asia, at least one in three cannot effectively read, write or do simple arithmetic.

Benefits of investing in basic education—especially for girls and young women:

• Educated girls are less likely to be sexually active or contract HIV/AIDS

• Educated mothers have healthier babies

• Educated girls are empowered to earn more money and girls education promotes economic growth

• Education fosters democracy and promotes political participation

• Education reduces violence against women

THANK YOU, BONO and BOB GELDOF!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:42 AM
The best hope for Africa is for the EU and the US to abandon agricultural protectionism. It's a brave politician who will advocate the dropping of farming subsidies but it's policies like the CAP that are keeping Africa poor.

While giving aid might satisfy our own guilt-ridden minds, a more fundamental change in policy is needed if African farmers are to stand a chance.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:55 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
The best hope for Africa is for the EU and the US to abandon agricultural protectionism. It's a brave politician who will advocate the dropping of farming subsidies but it's policies like the CAP that are keeping Africa poor.

While giving aid might satisfy our own guilt-ridden minds, a more fundamental change in policy is needed if African farmers are to stand a chance.

I completely agree with you, financeguy.

Bono has used the fact that in 1980 Africa had 6% of world trade.

Because of unfair trade policies and conditions imposed upon African countries in the 25 years since then by agencies like the World Bank, the IMF and donor countries/organizations like the U.S. and the EU in order to receive development aid,

African countries today have only 2% of world trade!

It is the developed world which has systematically underdeveloped Africa, in the past and in the present.

If Africa could regain 1% of world trade, it would bring into African governments over $70 billion yearly.

Currently, all the international aid "given" to Africa only amounts to $22 billion yearly.

Africa could help herself if we got off her back.

That's the honest truth.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:22 PM   #26
The Fly

Local Time: 11:42 PM
I talked to a guy who came from there, and what a story he had to tell.

He lived in a tribe that was attacked by Arabs, who slaughtered all the males 10 years old and up, kidnapped all the women and girls, burned the houses and fields and slaughtered the animals. The surviving boys aged 6-9 started walking (to Ethiopia? Don't recall now - sorry). They were preyed on by lions at night and by crocodiles in rivers, and finally about a third made it to safety. I can only assume the boys under 6 died at home. All his relatives are dead; he's 19 and living in America now.

He said the government of Sudan is all Arabs who are citizens of other countries. His tribe was Christian, and he still believes in God, but he wonders why the world isn't doing anything about the rape of his country.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

The Lost Boys of Sudan have truly amazing, horrific stories to tell. A while back, our community "adopted" a few dozen. They went to my high school and were given jobs at the local grocery store. One of them is also at my college. He's the nicest, most polite person I've ever met. You'd never guess he had to walk thousands of miles without parents to a refugee camp. He's been in a few of my classes and I tutored him for a computer class. I remember one day he was absent for a pretty important presentation, but it was because another fight had broken out and more of his family had been killed Nothing but terrible things have happened to him and his family, and yet he plans to join the US military when he is a citizen, or go to seminary.

I'll never forget him and his stories.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Here is a very positive response to a very serious health concern to a disease that those of us in the developed world seldom hear about:

http://somalinet.com/news/world/English/2278

ETHIOPIA: 5 million children targeted by the new Anti-polio campaign

Thu. April 13, 2006 10:50 am.

Apunyu Bonny

(SomaliNet) Some five million Ehiopian children under the age of five in 15 zones of Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, and Harari regions will be immunized against polio on a second round of a four-day vaccination campaign to stem the spread of the polio virus in identified high-risk regions in the north and east of the country, officials said. IRIN reported Thursday.

This follows the recent confirmation of polio cases in Ethiopia, attracting the attention of local health authorities in collaboration with the United Nations and other agencies.

According to the Ethiopian government and the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF), the campaign which begins on Friday aims at reaching five million children under the age of five in 15 zones of Tigray, Amhara, Oromia, and Harari regions, as well as Dire Dawa City Administration and the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF). The first round of the vaccination campaign was conducted in February.

A statement issued by the government and UN agencies revealed that the zones to be covered during the house-to-house campaign are Central, Mekele and Southern zones of Tigray Region; Bahir Dar, West Gojam, North Gondar, South Gondar, North Wollo, South Wollo, and Wag Himera zones of Amhara Region; Arsi, East Harerghe and West Harerghe zones of Oromia Region; Dire Dawa City Administration and Harari Region,

Mean while, some 14,000 volunteers and health workers will be organised into teams to carry out the vaccinations. Thirty-two national and international facilitators have already been deployed to the regions to assist the regional health bureaus in coordinating the campaign. Vaccinators will use the monovalent vaccine, which is considered to be the most effective vaccine against wild poliovirus (WPV), the strain that has been identified in the country, according to the statement.

Ethiopia which had been free from polio for almost four years, from January 2001 to December 2004, registered some 24 polio cases in March 20. The most recent cases were identified in East Harerghe Zone of Oromia Region and Wag Himera Zone of the Amhara Region on 6 December 2005 and 1 February, respectively.

Polio is a highly infectious viral disease that mainly affects children under age three. It invades the nervous system and can cause total paralysis in a matter of hours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's work for the day when no child in our world has to fear the scourge of polio.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
Within the next week, many PBS stations around the USA will be carrying this concert:

African stars stage malaria gig

Concert organiser Youssou N'Dour performed at the event
Some 20,000 music fans are attending an international pop concert in Senegal that is raising awareness about malaria in Africa.

The two-day Roll Back Malaria concert in Dakar is meant to raise funds to buy mosquito nets in the fight to defeat one of the continent's biggest killers.

Organised by local star Youssou N'Dour, it features many top African artists such as Baaba Maal and Salif Keita.

Mr N'Dour said it showed Africans were tackling their own problems.

It is the first major gathering of some of Africa's most popular musicians playing an African venue rather than London, Paris or New York.

The stage in Dakar's Iba Mar Diop Stadium has been decoratively draped with mosquito netting. Traditional stilt dancers are dressed as mosquitoes.

'Power'

The event is being recorded for television, radio, cinema and DVD, and is being broadcast in countries around the world.

Both Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade and French President Jacques Chirac have sent messages of support.

"Music is entertainment but also music is power," Mr N'Dour told the BBC.

Angelique Kidjo, a Benin-born performer now based in Europe, said she had cancelled other commitments to be in Dakar.

"Before being a musician, before being any star living abroad, we come from this continent and we care a lot," she said.

More than a million people, mostly children, die of malaria every year, with 90% of cases occurring in sub-Saharan Africa.

Also on the bill are Orchestra Baobab, Rokia Traore, Cheb Khaled, Tiken Jah Fakoly, Joey Starr and Seun Kuti.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/4343709.stm

Please check with your local PBS affiliate to see if and when they plan on hosting this concert on your local channel.

I saw a recent two hour special on the malaria epidemic around the world that featured Prof. Jeffrey Sachs on PBS - it was very good.

And here is a website where you can download some of the most popular music today, apparently with proceeds going to the Global Fund (http://www.theglobalfund.org) through this Festival's website.

Check it out:

http://www.africalive-festival.com/

Youssou N Dour is the top of the cool, and Orchestre Baobab too. Both of them performed in Sziget last year, I was lucky. This African music is full of love.

thx Jamila for the articles. Keep it up.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:48 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks hiphop - I will.

I feel an obligation to speak the half of the Truth that has never been told about Africa.

I'm glad that a few others feel the same.