Busted for being drunk...in a bar...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:|
If I was a police officer I would uphold the law to the best of my ability. (no matter how many weeks, days, hours until 21.) You really need to let this go. You took a chance and got caught. It's time to move on.

For the record, it doesn't matter where I went to college or where I live. Perhaps it's your general disdain for law enforcement that is your problem.

JMScoopy said:

i know what the law is for chrissake, im saying the police could use more discretion instead of being pricks and busting as many people as they can. If you went to IUP, you'd understand.

You could say that about anything.

Why should I get a parking ticket in front of my house if I leave the car there longer than 2 hours? It's bothering nobody, my street is very quiet, and so on. The cops could certainly be spending their time on more pressing matters than this nonsense of giving out tickets for $20 when you are not a safety risk (not near a fire hydrant, stop sign, etc), but they do.

Or you're on an open highway, there's nobody around and they stop you and ticket you for going 20 km over the limit. Ridiculous to me, but it happens.

It's not as if you weren't aware of what the law is.

JMScoopy said:

yeah, like walking out of a house and the police waiting outside to bust someone. thats was real obnoxious behavior of me.

Hmmm, that's not the story you told before....

You know, if everyone actually DID use this "discretion" you speak so highly of, we wouldn't even need police officers in the first place. :shrug:

WildHoneyAlways said:
:|
If I was a police officer I would uphold the law to the best of my ability.

i guess that means youd bust people in bars for being drunk since it is illegal :wink:

JMScoopy said:

oh yeah? well refresh my memory

"the neighbors called and bitched about noise"

"we came out of a house that got a complaint"

Cops don't just intuitively know where underage drinking is happening at any given moment. Like I said, drinking > drunk > loud and obnoxious > other people pissed > cops.

Honestly, I've come thisclose to ratting out my college neighbors. I don't mind their parties, or even them being loud. Afterall, we share a duplex, so we share a wall, so there's gonna be some noise exchange, and everyone is entitled to their fun. They have their people over for weekends and we have ours. But them playing drunken karaoke until 5am night after night during midterm exams and not toning if down even after polite phone calls and pounding on the wall yelling "shut the hell up already" is a whole different animal!

Chizip said:

i guess that means youd bust people in bars for being drunk since it is illegal :wink:

Well, the law says that being intoxicated is not a crime.
The charge of public intoxication requires that the person be intoxicated to the degree that he/she is a danger to him/herself or another person.

So behave yourselves out there! :shame:

:wink:

JMScoopy said:

lighten up.

Whatever. Look, you aren't contributing anything meaningful to the thread with your childish whining about the police and your misfortune. If you want to "serve" people go hang out in the Lemonade Stand or someplace else.

Better yet, dig up your old Zoo Confessionals thread about this topic and whine there.

JM - with no intention of turning this into a personal attack against you, I have a question (and I should have asked this during your original thread discussing the underage bust): Why are you so special?

I mean, you are under 21 - you don't deny that. You had several beers (6, I think you told us...?) - you never denied that. You know that in the United States of America, the legal age at which you can purchase/possess/consume alcholic beverages is 21 - you stated your knowledge of this law. So why SHOULDN'T you be busted?

Because 'everybody does it'? Lame. Because you're 'almost' legal? Lame. Because others were underage & they didn't get caught? Lame.

Whether the truth or not, from all your whining about it - still :slant: - it sounds as though your major complaint about the whole thing is that is just wasn't fair, because you were almost, practically, just about, right before 21. So what. You broke the law, you got caught - accept the consequences of your actions and deal with it.

And the reason the "fuckin' cops" so very much love to bust college kids and not cut them any slack??? 'Cuz nothing gives those folks in thankless jobs (like campus police) more pleasure than catching, red-handed, some punk who thinks he's smarter than the rest of the world. I personally applaud the lady or gentleman who DID THEIR JOB and didn't let you slide.

^ :laugh:

your right, what an asshole i am.

they should've thrown my punk ass in jail and thrown away the key. then maybe i'd learn.

why shouldn't i be busted/ why am i "special"? okay:

1.) the penalty far exceeds the crime

2.) i did nothing but come out of a house that had a party, no yelling, no pissing, puking, etc.

3.) they let everyone else at the party go, and that's horseshit.

4.) police are allowed to use descretion, but the police where im at like to :censored: college kids as hard and as often as they can. we're paying $10,000+ per semester to go up here for school, and they gotta try to rack up as many fines as they can for chickenshit offenses. and don't say "well they're just upholding the law", bullshit. back home the cops dont give a fuck about underage drinking.

5.) it pisses me off because i can go die in Iraq for the government, but that same government won't let me drink a beer.

maybe if you got an underage citation, you'd be a little for open-minded to my arguements. And don't tell me you've never had a drink before you were 21.

Last edited:
why do i even keep bothering with this bullshit?
what do i give a fuck what you think?
i dont have to keep defending myself.
yeah i think my underage citation was bullshit.
yeah i dont like indiana boro cops.
guess what, im drinking coors light right now.
you dont like it, TOUGH SHIT

JMScoopy said:

1.) the penalty far exceeds the crime

But you said your friend blew a .3-something. That's not only a crime, it's HIGHER than the blood alcohol level that will comatose or kill a normal adult. Yeah, just some kids have a beer over a football game :rolleyes:

You can't smoke in a pub, you can't a get a buzz in a pub.

The salted pretzels and peanuts will be next.

Just another comment about the Food Police/etc. and
this Brave New World.

JMScoopy said:
why do i even keep bothering with this bullshit?
what do i give a fuck what you think?
i dont have to keep defending myself.
yeah i think my underage citation was bullshit.
yeah i dont like indiana boro cops.
guess what, im drinking coors light right now.
you dont like it, TOUGH SHIT

you can argue with and roll your eyes at this from now on.

:rolleyes:
1) The penalty is SUPPOSED to exceed the crime.. its purpose is to be a deterrant to those of us who aren't above the law.
2) You came out of a house that had a party that included kids who were under 21 drinking beer.
3)Boo hoo wah... that's life & it's tough shit.
4)I already explained why your local cops get a stiffy at catching you breaking the law. If you want to be where the cops 'don't give a fuck', then go to college 'back home'.
5) This is the only thing you've said so far that has any value to it whatsoever... unfortunately, this isn't the point we're arguing at the moment so it's completely irrelevant to our conversation.
:eyebrow: :rolleyes: :eyebrow: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
thefinger.gif

JMScoopy probably best if you leave this thread now. Its obvious you're upset and this is a touchy subject for you.

Chizip said:

Umm I'm willing to bet they have the same public intoxication laws in New Orleans as in Texas

Technically, you are likely correct. But many times, especially during carnival, this is not enforced.

What would the French Quarter on Fat Tuesday be without public intoxication?

What people do on this holiday is not moderate in any way.

In fact, "moderation" might be an insult to the Mardi Gras tradition, and we all know how Americans feel about tradition.

If no one violates the rights of another, is it not proper to push past some limits sometimes?

I'm sorry that some people in this thread let things get a little tense, but I expect we can blame this on their sobriety, something this world clearly has too much of.

Anu

i transfered to a school in new hampshire in the fall of 2001, a few months before my 21st birthday. i did not know it at the time, but the state that claims to "live free or die" has rediculous enforcement of alcohol laws. well, i found out pretty quickly... like the first day. put in cuffs, taken down to the towny police station, given a ticket for underage drinking just a few months before my 21st birthday. 300 something dollar fine, and if i had a new hampshire issued liscense it would have been suspended, but i didn't 'cause mine was issued in new york, so that wasn't an issue.

went to court, paid the fine. end of story.

did it suck? yea... was i annoyed? yea... was it my fault for breaking the law? yea.

it may be bullshit, but it's still breaking the law. for the record, i was picked up while walking down a public street with an unopened beer visable in my rear pants pocket. in other words, i was stupid.

another time later that year a teammate of mine got picked up for underaged drinking... 10 minutes before turning 21. we were all drinking in his dorm room waiting for it to get to midnight so that we could go down to the bar and do some shots for his birthday. when it got to 10 minutes to 12, we started walking across campus... now each of us had beers with us (campus security at this college was terrible) and were drinking them, but we all discarded the beer cans before we left the enclosed part of the campus and out onto the very much in public road... all of us except for brian, that is, who was wearing a yellow hard hat (don't ask why... i do not know) and still carrying his beer, happy that he was finally abou to turn 21. so we get to the road, i see a cop down the road, see brian with his beer, and tell him to dump his beer, to which he replies something along the line of "screw that i'm 21 now i can do whatever i want." long story short, the cop drives past us, pulls a U-ee, pulls up next to us, and now brian finally decides to toss his beer away. they put him in cuffs and take him away, the car finally pulling away just as the clock strikes midnight on his 21st birthday.

now the cops weren't douches about it... they put down that the arrest happened at 12:01, so he avoided the underage. but he still got two 50 dollar citations... one for having an open container, and one for littering (which was dropped in court). once again... stupid, but totaly not hte cop's fault. they're just doing their job.

on a side note, after processing my friend that night, the cops drove him to the bar and dropped him off.

on another side note, the cops then waited in the parking lot of the bank next door and would arrest my visiting friend from home later that night for disorderly conduct... aka he took a piss outside. when told that the cops were around the corner, his only answer was "i can't stop once i start... it stings"

oh and one of our friends was on the lacrosse team and had a game the next day so he wasn't drinking, so he videotaped the entire night just to keep himself entertained. you can own a copy for 10 bucks :wink:

Last edited:
^Your friend is the coolest for wearing a hard yellow hat for no reason at all. Brian is my new hero. I love random crap like that while partying.

The other day my friends and I were wearing suspenders.

Come on over to Honduras, the legal drinking age here is 18. :wink:

i think we can all agree on a few thinngs:

1. the law is the law is the law, and if you break it, you must ultimately pay the consequences, no matter how silly the law is or how out-of-proportion the punishment is to the crime.

2. the laws regarding alcohol in the US are silly and the punishments are out-of-proportion to the laws that are broken.

3. there's a huge, huge irony that kids are old enough to be killed in Iraq but they cannot be trusted to drink a beer.

4. cops must do their jobs, and many citations for breaches of alcohol laws are designed to be preventative -- i.e., don't drive, get hit by a car, pass out in a trashcan, etc.

5. many cops, especially in sleepy college towns, have little better to do on a saturday night than bust generally harmless parties and this is both a great fund-raiser and also an expression of a sort of townie-vs-college-boys (and girls) class-based tension -- i've had a friend who was given a speeding ticket in college and the local cop handed it over and said, "don't worry, i'm sure your daddy is a flashy Manhattan lawyer and will be able to get you out of this one."

dunno if that was true or not. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom