Bush's Speech To The NAACP - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Bush's Speech To The NAACP

So he finally spoke to the NAACP today, for the first time since he became President

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea.../20060720.html

"We'll work together, and as we do so, you must understand I understand that racism still lingers in America. (Applause.) It's a lot easier to change a law than to change a human heart. And I understand that many African Americans distrust my political party.

AUDIENCE: Yes! (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: I consider it a tragedy that the party of Abraham Lincoln let go of its historic ties with the African American community. For too long my party wrote off the African American vote, and many African Americans wrote off the Republican Party. (Applause.)

That history has prevented us from working together when we agree on great goals. That's not good for our country. That's what I've come to share with you. We've put the interests of the country above political party. I want to change the relationship. (Applause.) The America we seek should be bigger than politics. And today I'm going to talk about some areas where I believe we can work together to reduce the obstacles for opportunity for all our citizens."

He also talks a bit about Katrina and HIV/AIDS in Africa

Old 07-20-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Better late than never.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Well, it's something.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Coolio.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
He's right in many ways. If the Republicans really want to change thier image, they have to get off the traditional value legislation. I don't think they are bad people they just don't have their priorities straight. I can only hope that they work on AID's and help the victims of Katrina and the future victims of storms to come.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Nothing like the GOP being 40 years too late to apologize, while still ignoring all the lessons they should have learned (considering how homophobic the party is).

But hey...at least they're not like the Vatican, which is usually centuries too late and only apologizes once the victims are dead or start successful class-action lawsuits.

Melon
Old 07-20-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Re: Bush's Speech To The NAACP

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
We've put the interests of the country above political party. I want to change the relationship.

Freudian slip?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:19 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
"Stop being a Stepin Fetchit for Dick Cheney!"
Old 07-21-2006, 07:57 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I watched it on CSpan last night, and there was a heckler who was removed. I will try to find out more about that.

Maybe the best speech I've ever seen Bush make (I haven't seen that many because frankly it makes me cringe to watch)-but actions speak louder than words.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...nav=rss_nation

"The 33-minute speech at the group's annual convention drew rounds of thunderous applause, such as when the president acknowledged that his political party wrote off the black vote and when he vowed to sign a bill to renew the Voting Rights Act.

At other times, the audience groaned, such as when Bush said his family is committed to civil rights. People booed sharply when he praised charter schools. Two men were quickly hustled out of the hall by Secret Service agents for heckling Bush about the Iraq war.

I think this was a good day," Gordon said of the president's visit. "He said exactly what he should say."

Douglas Mayers, an NAACP delegate from New York, said he agreed with everything Bush said. "It was a fantastic speech," he said.

Other views were mixed. The Rev. Ezekiel Holley, a delegate from Dawson, Ga., said the speech, especially the voting rights comments, was welcome. But it was late, he said. "It should have been done four years ago. I'm still disappointed."
Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Sounds like there were people willing to listen and give credit where due.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

actually, this is one of Bush's strengths, and had he not been railroaded by 9-11 and his endless series of flabbergasting fuck-ups in virtually every other area of foreign and domestic policy, this is what he was designed to do for the GOP: expand the tent, so to speak.

deep down, unlike many other white southern Republican males, i don't think Bush is at all a racist, or anti-Semetic, or even (wait for it) all that homophobic. perhaps a little sexist, though. i think he genuinely likes people regardless of their background, and he's by all accounts in possession of tremendous interpersonal skills and one-on-one charisma, and i would guess that the original plan in 1999/2000 was to have Cheney tend to the presidenting, and for Bush to be in continual campaign mode, reaching out to blacks and hispanics and catholics and even jews. i would guess, as well, that he's far more comfortable doing this than in calling for bullshit issues like the FMA which, again, by all accounts, he doesn't give a crap about. the 2004 election saw the GOP make significant inroads with Hispanic and Catholic voters, so African-Americans seem the next logical target, even though his approval rating, by some accounts, is around 10%, and he's got more than enough groveling to do in regards to his (non)response to Hurricane Katrina.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
and when he vowed to sign a bill to renew the Voting Rights Act.
How is this even a fucking issue in 2006? Am I missing something?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

This is from an article I found on Yahoo

"The House passed the bill last week 390-33 with opposition mostly from Southern lawmakers who objected to renewing a law that requires their states win Justice Department approval before changing any voting rules — punishment, they said, for racist practices decades in the past.

Some also objected to provisions that require jurisdictions with large populations of non-English-speaking citizens to print ballots in languages other than English.

Several Southern senators echoed the concerns of their House counterparts, but there were few obstacles to passage in that chamber.

"Is this the very best that we can do at this time? Yes, it is," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas.

The nine states required to win Justice Department approval for any voting practice changes are Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia

Other senators said the act was still necessary and pointed to congressional hearings that showed certain districts still make it harder for minorities and citizens with limited understanding of English to be informed when they cast ballots."
Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
How is this even a fucking issue in 2006? Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing the fact that the legislation was based on specific historical factors from 40 years ago that are still being applied (as if it were the 1960's).

There is no opportunity to review and adjust for changes over 40 years. So, there may be a "fucking issue".

The analysis has to go beyond the simple title of the legislation.