Bush's Speech re: AIDS in Africa (SuperMerged MegaThread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plez vote on how you felt about GWs State Of Union Address

• Convincing- Im w GW.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I enjoyed The Speech and am now readjusting my views.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • GW is a clown.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Iam still a Bush Hater.

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

diamond

ONE love, blood, life
Please vote on "The War On 2 Plagues Speech".

That's what some of the pundits are now calling it.
"The War Of The 2 Plagues"

1-The War On The Plague of Terror
2-The War On The Plague of AIDS

I did not see it in its entirety, so I cant vote yet.
For you that did see the speech plez vote and comment.

Thank You-
Diamond

Last edited:
I chose the first one. I don't have time to comment right now but I will later this afternoon.

just cause he announced aid to africa doesnt mean i like the guy. but i dont hate anyone on earth either. hate is such a strong word when you really think about it.

i cant stand bush and the republicans, but its not that i like the democrats either, they dont speak for the people.

i voted him a clown. thats too mild, i really believe hes an incredibly dangerous man, one of the most dangerous in the world.

get mad at me all you want, but there are many, many people in the world who share that same view.

LittleBear-
-sure there are a loud vocal amounnt of ppl that echo your sediments.

-sure you have a protest march here and there in the world.

This gets "major" press coverage by the "International Left Front Media" ..so some think that this is on par w/the world view.
So they think...:mac:

However you and others are sadly mistaken.:|

I teach you a new word, LittleBear, that word ="PROPORTION "
You see "proportionately speaking" the protesters are in the minority. :|
Sure it looks good on the tube, but MILLIONS are not marching.
These are in the "majority".
That said the people not marching are the SILENT MAJORITY .:huh: :larry: :yes: :wave:

Until you accept this fact you and others will continue live in a world of disillusionment and aggravation.
thank u-:

DB9

Last edited:
Read the transcript and saw some excerpts on TV. It?s amazing how a sentence that looks so great in writing, sounds like complete nonsense when spoken by Bush. As for my views; neither "I enjoyed The Speech and am now readjusting my views", nor "GW is a clown" represents mine. In that sense is this truly a poll that only Diamond could make.

I agree with Dr. Teeth, the answers in the poll are a little extreme.

The guy has made some strides as a public speaker, he's come a little ways from the bummbling idiot that the republicans fell in love with. But like most politicians, spoke in non-issues for quite a bit of the speech and offered little to no new information during the rest of it. I could argue point for point about each issue but don't have the time. But what I will say for I've heard many people praise him for bringing up Africa, they are only words. Let's see how his actions speak, his precious war is first and foremost on his mind and I really don't see him achieving too much beyond that. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hmmm, diamond, you won?t like that, but I voted for "I am still a Bush Hater".

The point about Africa and AIDS was a very fine one, agreed. First I want to see the money there, then i am going to readjust my views concerning this one issue - and if the help goes there I will be the first one to say that GW Bush has done one truly great thing in his political career.

But GW personalizes many other things for me (even if its not all his personal fault - but as the President of the United States he would be in charge to change more) - he represents neo liberalism, monetarism, reduction of civil rights, not changing the terms of trade to... my, his administration could work on a lot more, he?s in the position!

There is no need in this poll to dwell upon all the things that Bush makes wrong, in my opinion. We will discuss about that another time.

I have to say that I appreciate what he said about Africa yesterday, but it depends on the conditions that he, or the World Bank, or the IWF, want for that money, too. It depends on if there are any conditions, if they have to pay it back with interests, if the sum will stay high or will be heavily reduced, and so on.

I would truly like less propaganda, too. Less "America has to go on its own". Less "We secure worldwide peace for all the world" (he doesn?t secure it for me- what about a nice little third world war?)

Ok, so I explained why I still hate Bush; and you know that I think other political leaders, especially the ones of my country, are just as bad as him.

Hope you can live with that.

Last edited:
no i dont think u are wrong for views mr hiphop.
im ok w your country's leaders.

see bear's post in this thread re hate -he has it right.

diamond

Anyway, the real silent majority are the (over) one billion people who live of less than one $ per day.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Good point, diamond. We should love, not hate, like Jesus has taught us.

well i certainly hope you arent mocking those who belief in this phylosophy, cause i certainly am one of them.

diamond, i realize that you talk to get a rise out of people, but by belittling them (like you did with me) is quite annoying. do i need to tell sicy? hmm?

then simply call me by name. call me little bear or whatever outside free your mind, but not here.

thank ya.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Good point, diamond. We should love, not hate, like Jesus has taught us.

Notably missing are more reasonable options like "I still believe GW is an extremely poor President" or "I still strongly dislike most of the policies and ideals the man stands for."

In other words, by only presenting options that oppose Bush in an extremist wording such as "Bush is a clown" or "I am still a Bush hater", the pollster has perhaps intentionally set up the respondents, as unless they vote with option 1 or 2 and compromise their beliefs they are portrayed as radicals who hate another human being with a vengeance.

And that is why such a poll would never see the light of day in any respectable media outlet and also precisely why noone should really participate in it or lend any sort of credibility to the results.

Last edited:
Bush's 15 billion dollar African aid proposal is unprecedented for ANY leader/country, and should be admired for its selflessness. The next step is up to congress, not Bush. Dubya should be praised for this act, but, he is criticized?! He went out on a limb with this, can he do nothing right? It looks as though there is an anti-american bias, this man could have dedicated the whole hour to the African aids crisis, and some people would still resort to cynicism.

Cow of the Seas, I am a believer too.

How far has this world gone when a simple statement like that seems cynical.

Please respect people's boundaries as far as their names or s/ns are concerned. Some people don't mind nicknames, others do. When they make it very clear that a nickname is unacceptable, avoid using it. Thank you.

Anoosh Vs. God said:
Bush's 15 billion dollar African aid proposal is unprecedented for ANY leader/country, and should be admired for its selflessness. The next step is up to congress, not Bush. Dubya should be praised for this act, but, he is criticized?! He went out on a limb with this, can he do nothing right? It looks as though there is an anti-american bias, this man could have dedicated the whole hour to the African aids crisis, and some people would still resort to cynicism.
:up:

-accurate assesment Anoosh.

This Poll was never to be taken seriously...Some ppl dont get it. :huh:

However, this poll should-

USA/Gallop Poll , regarding "overall reaction" of Speech,
ppl polled were-

-50 % were very positive
-34% were somewhat positive
-11% -somewhat negative
-3% very negative
-2%-other):dance:

hiphop-
great posts.
the billions dying have more love in their hearts, not hate.
My guess is they are not Bush Haters nor think Bush is a clown .
They are the silent majority.

Cow-
plez b quiet.

dB9

Last edited:
Looks like deathbear is making his daily attempts at trying to get himself banned.

diamond said:

I teach you a new word, LittleBear, that word ="PROPORTION "
You see "proportionately speaking" the protesters are in the minority. :|
Sure it looks good on the tube, but MILLIONS are not marching.
These are in the "majority".
That said the people not marching are the SILENT MAJORITY .:huh: :larry: :yes: :wave:

Until you accept this fact you and others will continue live in a world of disillusionment and aggravation.
thank u-:

DB9

And I'm going to teach you a new word, diamond. It's called REPRESENTATION. See, like in Congress where the representatives of political parties and interest groups chose to take action, they are representing the rest of the nation. These people marching are those who chose to take action on their beliefs, not the only people who disagree with Bush as you would like to think. They are in fact representing many more people. There are countless more people who were not marching who still side with those who were marching. So don't try and lay down this BS statement trying to state as fact that everyone who wasn't marching supports Bush.

The simple fact that so many of these marches took place around the globe shows that the people marching represent a much larger portion of the population than just the marchers themselves. It's not a one-to-one ratio.

thank u-:huh: :larry: :yes: :wave:

:)

Last edited:
Diemen-
That was excellent.
A brillant comeback.
It really was.

Representation.
I understand your point on symbolism.

I do know this, as a fact, that several terrorist groups, communist groups, disident groups are being financed and paid to attend these demonstrations by Iraq and other extremist and terrorists organizations.:|

Your point is well taken though.

DB9
PS-How did u vote?

I voted for Bush is a clown :evil:, but in truth I am in between that and readjusting my views. Suffice it to say his speech was better than I thought it would be.

Diemen said:
I voted for Bush is a clown :evil:, but in truth I am in between that and readjusting my views. Suffice it to say his speech was better than I thought it would be.
cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom