Bush's Sex Scandal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedpoet

Refugee
Bush's Sex Scandal
By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF

Published: February 16, 2005

'm sorry to report a sex scandal in the heart of the Bush administration. Worse, it doesn't involve private behavior, but public conduct.

You see, for all the carnage in President Bush's budget, one program is being showered with additional cash - almost three times as much as it got in 2001. It's "abstinence only" sex education, and the best research suggests that it will cost far more lives than the Clinton administration's much more notorious sex scandal.

Mr. Bush means well. But "abstinence only" is a misnomer that in practice is an assault on sex education itself. There's a good deal of evidence that the result will not be more young rosy-cheeked virgins - it will be more pregnancies, abortions, gonorrhea and deaths from AIDS.

Look, I'm all for abstinence education. I support the booming abstinence industry as it peddles panties and boxers decorated with stop signs (at www.abstinence.net), and "Pet Your Dog, Not Your Date" T-shirts.

Abstinence education is great because it helps counteract the peer pressure that often leaves teenagers with broken hearts - and broken health.

For that reason, almost all sex-ed classes in America already encourage abstinence. But abstinence-only education isn't primarily about promoting abstinence - it's about blindly refusing to teach contraception.

To get federal funds, for example, abstinence-only programs are typically barred by law from discussing condoms or other forms of contraception - except to describe how they can fail. So kids in these programs go all through high school without learning anything but abstinence, even though more than 60 percent of American teenagers have sex before age 18.

In the old days, social conservatives simply fought any mention of sex. In 1906, The Ladies' Home Journal published articles about venereal disease - and 75,000 readers canceled their subscriptions. Congress banned the mailing of family planning information, and Margaret Sanger was jailed in 1916 for selling a birth control pamphlet to an undercover policewoman.

But silence about sex only nurtured venereal diseases (one New York doctor, probably exaggerating, claimed in 1904 that 60 percent of American men had syphilis or gonorrhea), so sex education gradually gained ground. Then social conservatives had a brilliant idea: instead of fighting sex ed directly, they campaigned for abstinence-only programs that eviscerated any discussion of contraception.

That shrewd approach succeeded. In 1988, a survey by the Alan Guttmacher Institute found that only 2 percent of sex-ed teachers used an abstinence-only approach. Now, the institute says, a quarter of them do.

Other developed countries focus much more on contraception. The upshot is that while teenagers in the U.S. have about as much sexual activity as teenagers in Canada or Europe, Americans girls are four times as likely as German girls to become pregnant, almost five times as likely as French girls to have a baby, and more than seven times as likely as Dutch girls to have an abortion. Young Americans are five times as likely to have H.I.V. as young Germans, and teenagers' gonorrhea rate is 70 times higher in the U.S. than in the Netherlands or France.

Some studies have claimed that abstinence-only programs work, but researchers criticize the studies for being riddled with flaws. A National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy task force examined the issue and concluded: "There do not currently exist any abstinence-only programs with strong evidence that they either delay sex or reduce teen pregnancy."

Worse, there's some evidence that abstinence-only programs lead to increases in unprotected sex.

Perhaps the most careful study of the issue involved 12,000 young people. It found that those taking virginity pledges had sex 18 months later, on average, than those who had not taken the pledge. But even 88 percent of the pledgers had sex before marriage.

More troubling, the pledgers were much less likely to use contraception when they did have sex - only 40 percent of the males used condoms, compared with 59 percent of those who did not take the pledge.

In contrast, there's plenty of evidence that abstinence-plus programs - which encourage abstinence but also teach contraception - delay sex and increase the use of contraception. So, at a time when we're cutting school and health programs, why should we pour additional tax money into abstinence-only initiatives, which are likely to lead to more pregnancies, more abortions and more kids with AIDS? Now, that's a scandal.

E-mail: nicholas@nytimes.com

It is indeed obscene that they move to gut sex education through funding ~ it's worth the money if education occurs but abstinance only programs are a total waste of funds.

Typical of the Bush admin. to promote a onesided program to go along with his onesided views.
He needs to get real!! Teens and even pre-teens are going to have sex and all abstinence education is going to do is cause lack of understanding regarding birth control and VD.
We should be progressing not regressing.

the problem with bush is a problem i have with myself a lot of times too. he's an idealist, which is very strange for a conservative. he basis his policy based on ideals rather than what reality tells us. reality tells us that abstinence-plus education provides the students with the most information and has the best results; it also tells us exactly what sheltie wrote that teens will have sex and "abstinence education is going to cause a lack of understanding regarding birth control and VD."

blueyedpoet said:
Look, I'm all for abstinence education. I support the booming abstinence industry as it peddles panties and boxers decorated with stop signs (at www.abstinence.net), and "Pet Your Dog, Not Your Date" T-shirts.

cool, I have to get me some of those!

but why is it that abstenance is only promoted as a bloody religious thing?! Why can't things be seperate from religion here, everything on that website above is about 'doing what is right' 'gods laws' and 'morality'. It doesn't seem to be presented as a choice, it seems to be indoctrinated within people.

I may be wrong, as I have only just discovered this issue in the last few weeks, please correct me if I am wrong.

Bush's sex scandal?

The mere fact that Bush is president of the USA is scandalous!

Also MULLEN4PREZ,

where did u get that photo in your sig from, 2 of my heroes!

I applaud the fact that abstinence education is finding its way into the discourse even with some liberals. I feel the flaw in promoting condom use is that, first of all, it teaches that "safe sex" prevents unwanted pregnancy and disease as if those are the only two undesirable effects of "unprotected sex", to the exclusion of the possibly devestating effects to children's psychological and emotional health.

Second of all, while not actively condoning sex, if the program doesn't explicitly forbid sex in the strongest way, children see it as a loophole that they jump through, i.e. "It's OK, we used a condom" There is an implicit condoning of teen sex.

Now you may say, "they're just going to do it anyway". I say, some will and some won't. But it doesn't mean we need to condone, promote, or provide a wink-wink, nod-nod loophole.

This is why. Guilt has become a bad word these days. I believe guilt is powerful and can be a powerful tool when used in educating children, if not abused. Now I'm going to catch flack for that statement but I need to state that guilt, as with any powerful tool, is abused very often. But when a child has done something wrong, they should feel guilty. This is the proper use of guilt. A problem is that kids aren't being taught that teenage sex is a bad thing.
We need to teach that sex between teenagers is wrong.
(If you don't agree with this statement please explain why teenage sex is a good thing)

Here's my logic: Teenagers hook up at parties. There is going to come a time when a condom is not readily available. Now you have a struggle between sexual urges and "sex education". Most of us have been there. Did we choose wisely 100% of the time?

I personally believe that guilt is more powerful than condom education and has a better chance of prevailing in that crucial moment. What would be more effective against a primal human urge: a powerful human emotion or a classroom subject?

Another obvious point is that we've all most likely had sex with and without condoms. You've got to be high to think that kids having sex don't know the difference. One feels good, the other feels better. Also most would agree that, overall, it's not the most complete and fulfilling sexual experience when there's a piece of rubber in between.

Another point, back to the argument against abstinence "they're going to do it anyway": The same argument applies to condom use "They're going to do it without a condom anyway" and they do.

And I must note that most kids know about condoms anyway. A school is not the only source of information. Sex education is such a delicate topic, I fear that schools may not be capable of handling the topic with the proper nuance.

One more point: You may have heard the phrase "Guys are the gas, Girls are the brakes". This may not be entirely accurate but is certainly more true with teenagers. The reason is obvious: Girls have a lot more to lose. Now this isn't to blame women, but the educational system and society in general seems to be wearing down the brakes.

We don't need to put kids on the sexual fast track here. The ones that are going to do it are going to do it. The problem is that the ones that weren't going to do it are now doing it.

P.S. as far as the pill, I have separate health issues with pumping your daughter full of artificial hormones as her reproductive system is developing.

i have never had sex without a condom. not once.

i didn't have sex in high school, either.

presenting people with information about birth control isn't condoning sex. i find that attiude so archaic, so narrow, it's hard to know where to begin.

i also think it's guilt that prevents people from buying condoms, from making good decisions, and having a healthy understanding of sexuality that then leads to poor choices especially when under the influence of drugs and alcohol. not much guilt when you're drunk, but plenty of guilt when you're hungover the next day and quivering with fear that you might have gotten yourself pregnant last night. THAT, when you combine guilt and shame, will do even worse psychological damage to a teenager than a bad sexual experience.

it is not a school's role to explicitly forbid sex. what about parents? you sound like a George Bush "conservative" -- there are no morals the government can't instill, no religiously oriented program the government can't fund. should we federally fund drug tests as well? how about doing vaginal swabs on girls monday mornings to see if they had sex over the weekend?

please -- go take a look at sex education in western europe, especially scandinavia. they have comprehensive education, and their teen preganancy and abortion rates are drastically lower than they are in the United States (and Britain, too). also the average age at which kids lose their virginity is higher.

The sex education system in west europe does go a long way in proving that educating young people about sex, helps them make informed decisions. The US is so backwards and puritian when it comes to sex and that is why we have a high teen pregnancy rate and VD rate. Causing teens and preteens to feel guility and ashamed of sex is not how we should be educating our children. Of course we all would prefer they waited but that is not going to happen. Therefore, we need to be responsible and educate our young people properly regarding sex. The 50's are over!!

Last edited:
drhark said:
I applaud the fact that abstinence education is finding its way into the discourse even with some liberals. I feel the flaw in promoting condom use is that, first of all, it teaches that "safe sex" prevents unwanted pregnancy and disease as if those are the only two undesirable effects of "unprotected sex", to the exclusion of the possibly devestating effects to children's psychological and emotional health.

Second of all, while not actively condoning sex, if the program doesn't explicitly forbid sex in the strongest way, children see it as a loophole that they jump through, i.e. "It's OK, we used a condom" There is an implicit condoning of teen sex.

Now you may say, "they're just going to do it anyway". I say, some will and some won't. But it doesn't mean we need to condone, promote, or provide a wink-wink, nod-nod loophole.

This is why. Guilt has become a bad word these days. I believe guilt is powerful and can be a powerful tool when used in educating children, if not abused. Now I'm going to catch flack for that statement but I need to state that guilt, as with any powerful tool, is abused very often. But when a child has done something wrong, they should feel guilty. This is the proper use of guilt. A problem is that kids aren't being taught that teenage sex is a bad thing.
We need to teach that sex between teenagers is wrong.
(If you don't agree with this statement please explain why teenage sex is a good thing)

Here's my logic: Teenagers hook up at parties. There is going to come a time when a condom is not readily available. Now you have a struggle between sexual urges and "sex education". Most of us have been there. Did we choose wisely 100% of the time?

I personally believe that guilt is more powerful than condom education and has a better chance of prevailing in that crucial moment. What would be more effective against a primal human urge: a powerful human emotion or a classroom subject?

Another obvious point is that we've all most likely had sex with and without condoms. You've got to be high to think that kids having sex don't know the difference. One feels good, the other feels better. Also most would agree that, overall, it's not the most complete and fulfilling sexual experience when there's a piece of rubber in between.

Another point, back to the argument against abstinence "they're going to do it anyway": The same argument applies to condom use "They're going to do it without a condom anyway" and they do.

And I must note that most kids know about condoms anyway. A school is not the only source of information. Sex education is such a delicate topic, I fear that schools may not be capable of handling the topic with the proper nuance.

One more point: You may have heard the phrase "Guys are the gas, Girls are the brakes". This may not be entirely accurate but is certainly more true with teenagers. The reason is obvious: Girls have a lot more to lose. Now this isn't to blame women, but the educational system and society in general seems to be wearing down the brakes.

We don't need to put kids on the sexual fast track here. The ones that are going to do it are going to do it. The problem is that the ones that weren't going to do it are now doing it.

P.S. as far as the pill, I have separate health issues with pumping your daughter full of artificial hormones as her reproductive system is developing.

Ignorance is bliss...:huh:

Don't buy a single word of it. You have to teach both. Loophole my ass. I grew up with 2 kids who were the children of youth ministers and who grew up in very religious home, their parents wrote them excuse notes to get them out of sex-ed when the rest of our peers took them in school. Their parents were very strict about abstinence only education. Believed talking about condoms was somehow promoting sex just like you.

Well the daughter my age ended up knocked up her senior year, she thought pulling out wasn't real sex. Their son 2 years younger than me, got married his freshmen year of college so that he could have sex, got his wife pregnant within the first 2 months because they weren't using any form of birth control. So at 19 he had to drop out of college to support a child and wife.

And I know many other cases.

Sounds like that's working really well.:|

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think your new avatar had me confused.:wink:

well, now that Brit's a grammy-winner and all ...

it's also the 7th sign of the apocalypse: "and lo, the sea turned to blood, and the whore of babylon was adorned with gold statuettes"

actually, the other night i had a very vivid dream where i was eating at a steakhouse in DC with one of my best friends, and Britney was our waitress.

we both commented on how her career has really taken a noisedive, but she was very sweet and nice and peppered her sentences with "y'all."

then she fucked up my order. brought me chicken when i asked for steak. i wanted to ignore it, since Brit was so sweet and all, but my best friend insisted that we correct it. she called Brit over to the table, and insisted that my order was wrong. the smile fell from poor Brit's face and she insisted that i ordered chicken. my friend demanded to see the pad of paper upon which waiters writer their orders. Brit refused. she then stood up, and slapped Brit across the kisser. Brit responded with a swift kick to her knee. a girlfight ensued.

then i woke up.

Where is there proof that the present system works?

""it is not a school's role to explicitly forbid sex.""

You can't teach a kid right from wrong in a public school? Unless you don't think teenage sex is wrong. Can someone please make a case that teenage sex is good? Children need to be told right from wrong. We don't all agree on what's right and wrong, but the vast majority of Americans would agree teen sex is wrong and not desirable for a healthy society. When they're 18 they can do whatever the hell they want.

""""you sound like a George Bush "conservative" -- there are no morals the government can't instill, no religiously oriented program the government can't fund."""""

Did I mention religion anywhere? This is a typical attack. Typecast someone as religious, then attack them while ignoring the argument.

""""Sounds like that's working really well.""""

We're dealing with sex. Nothing works very well. And single case studies are not proof of anything.

""""""i have never had sex without a condom. not once."""""
I hope that isn't a permanent situation, to not ever experience the real thing

""""Causing teens and preteens to feel guility and ashamed of sex is not how we should be educating our children.""""

They should feel ashamed just as the child who gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar should feel ashamed. I'm sorry if shame and guilt were manipulated incorrectly and abusively by your parents in your childhood but that's how we learned right from wrong.

I'd also like to ask a question. Apart from unwanted pregnancy or disease, what consequences, if any, do you all feel are possible harmful side effects to teenage sex?

drhark said:
When they're 18 they can do whatever the hell they want.

Here's where your logic fails. So once they turn 18 are they automatically going to become educated on safe sex? Come on and listen to yourself.

We can talk in theory, but the results are in: abstinence-only programs do not work.

I certainly support an open-minded program that talks about abstinence and birth control. Hell...I went to a Catholic HS, and, for those who don't know, contraception is bad. Still, health class brought up contraception, with the usual Catholic disclaimer that it isn't what they believe, but overall knowledge is good.

Ignorance is not bliss.

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Here's where your logic fails. So once they turn 18 are they automatically going to become educated on safe sex? Come on and listen to yourself.

When they're 18 they don't have to listen anymore

drhark said:

When they're 18 they don't have to listen anymore

So then we have a society of 18 year olds having sex spreading disease and getting pregnant because no one ever taught them the basic principles of safe sex.

That's ridiculously stupid.

drhark said:
Where is there proof that the present system works?

""it is not a school's role to explicitly forbid sex.""

You can't teach a kid right from wrong in a public school? Unless you don't think teenage sex is wrong. Can someone please make a case that teenage sex is good? Children need to be told right from wrong. We don't all agree on what's right and wrong, but the vast majority of Americans would agree teen sex is wrong and not desirable for a healthy society. When they're 18 they can do whatever the hell they want.

""""you sound like a George Bush "conservative" -- there are no morals the government can't instill, no religiously oriented program the government can't fund."""""

Did I mention religion anywhere? This is a typical attack. Typecast someone as religious, then attack them while ignoring the argument.

""""Sounds like that's working really well.""""

We're dealing with sex. Nothing works very well. And single case studies are not proof of anything.

""""Causing teens and preteens to feel guility and ashamed of sex is not how we should be educating our children.""""

They should feel ashamed just as the child who gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar should feel ashamed. I'm sorry if shame and guilt were manipulated incorrectly and abusively by your parents in your childhood but that's how we learned right from wrong.

I'd also like to ask a question. Apart from unwanted pregnancy or disease, what consequences, if any, do you all feel are possible harmful side effects to teenage sex?

1. no. schools do not teach "moral values" or whatever you want to call them. parents, families, youth groups, they all do that. schools instill knowledge. and it is *especially* when it comes to sex education that information, including the fact that abstience is the only 100% way to prevent pregnancy and STDs, is what the focus of the class should be.

besides, what better way to get kids to have sex than for the school and those oh-so-cool teaches to "forbid" it?

2. i didn't say you were religious, i was drawing an analogy to how bush views government -- as a tool to be weilded to encourage people to adhere to his very strict set of moral values. this is a man who has never vetoed a spending bill. please read more closely. i addressed the argument directly as well.

3. utterly meaningless sentence.

4. until i have a partner whom i can trust and we are totally mongamous and tested and STD free, the condom stays on.

5. guilt and shame are far, far worse than information and education. i want kids to make smart choices, and when presented with the information, it's pretty damn clear that having sex while in high school is a pretty bad decision. you don't need guilt and shame to get kids to abstain; there are perfectly good reasons to abstain, and you're far more likely to get teenagers to listen and understand when you speak to them like adults rather than 6 year olds trying to break into the cookie jar. guilt and shame had nothing to do with my not having sex in high school. i was always against it, for a variety of reasons (not least of which was being gay), but i remember discouraging my friends from having sex not because i thought it was a shameful activity, but because my argument was: you have the rest of your life to have sex, what's the big rush?

6. i don't think teenagers need to comlicate their lives. to me, this is the most compelling reason not to have sex. enjoy being young. enjoy pre-sexual innocence. sex is wonderful; adult relationships are wonderful. they are also complex and contain enormous potential to wreak psychological havoc on your still developing psyche. relax, have fun, be a kid, focus on school and sports and your musical instrument ... you'll be having sex (hopefully) for the rest of your life, but you won't be 16 for much longer. relish this experience now, and relish sex when you're at a more appropriate age.

the longer you wait, the better it will be.

drhark said:

therein lies a huge part of the problem--all the men who don't want to wear condoms. a condom should not interfere with the intimacy of sex unless you let it. if anything, it should be a sign of respect and responsibility.

On a difficult sticky subject like sex education, I fully expect the government to fuck it up.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So then we have a society of 18 year olds having sex spreading disease and getting pregnant because no one ever taught them the basic principles of safe sex.

That's ridiculously stupid.

Are 18 year olds brainless jelly fish without Big Brother telling them what to do?

Back
Top Bottom