Bush's inaugural speech - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2005, 09:48 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Bush's inaugural speech

Comments please,

Couldn't watch all of it (although it was live on Dutch TV), but it suprized me, in a positive way.
I was also moved by the prayer delivered after his speech. But I still think it has no place in government.

A separation of Church and state is necessary, without reservation.

Note, that I am an atheist, European liberal...with a keen interest in US culture,politics&history

Old 01-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:56 AM
i caught some bits and pieces

it was about what i expected

it is part of "our American Tradition"

I think to complain about it
is of no value.

i will probably read it by tomorrow
and may revise my opinions.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:56 AM
I was in the shower at the start of it, and then I had to go to school. I'll be sure to catch some highlights of it anyhow.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:56 PM
i only saw bits and pieces of it. from what the commentators were saying afterward it was a good speech but falls into the category of forgettable 2nd term inaugurals. time will tell.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 09:56 AM
First off, I'm not a fan of Bush, I didn't vote for him, and never in a million years would I have even considered voting for him. But it was a good speech, in my opinion, and seemed to have a bit of a global tone to it. I don't know if I would call it reaching out, but for him it was a start, I guess.

Yes, he sounded good on his inauguration day. No American president is going to get up there and give some Mussolini - style speech, though. But the real test will be, does he follow through on it. I hope he does. For now I guess I'll say that I'll forget about his promises last time around that never happened, because nothing can be done about that now, and have a little hope until he gives me reason to feel otherwise.

We'll see.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by medmo

Yes, he sounded good on his inauguration day. No American president is going to get up there and give some Mussolini - style speech, though. But the real test will be, does he follow through on it.
Exactly. I've stopped paying attention to the words Bush speaks, since they're only incidentally consistent with his actions.

All propaganda, all the time....
Old 01-20-2005, 11:37 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That's a good post medmo, we should definately take a look at what he is saying, and see if he will follow through. Of course it would only be fair to compare him to past presidents like Clinton, Bush Sr, Reagan, and Carter for comparison's sake.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix
All propaganda, all the time....
Yeah.

If only a hundred million more Americans would realize that...
Old 01-20-2005, 12:29 PM   #9
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Yeah.

If only a hundred million more Americans would realize that...
Actually, if my election math is correct, two million Americans would have been enough.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:43 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

i tried my best to convert people into kerry supporters. sorry i couldn't get 2 million more.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:49 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Go Bush!
Old 01-20-2005, 01:00 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Excuse me Kerry Lovers, but I think Kerry wouldn´t have made a huge difference regarding foreign politics. Maybe on some other issues, yes.

All I can say is, I wouldn´t have worked my ass off to support him.

The Dems will have to find a suitable candidate who is a positive, religious, leftist opposition. Propaganda comes from both sides.

With the argument about 100 million, I may not be as wrong as you think I am. I´d just like if most Americans woke up from their technicolor dream, eat less junk food, reduce environmental destruction - hey, I am poisoned by YOUR cars too - pay for what they have fucked up (just like some European nations), reverse the national fearmongering trend, forbid small arms sales, lobby to change unfair trade policies, put high taxes on speculation profits,..

The list goes on and on, and I doubt Kerry would have changed the nation.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:04 PM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix

Actually, if my election math is correct, two million Americans would have been enough.
Beat me to it Strannix.

I thought, speaking of the propaganda comments, that Bush's lines (which were lovely, no scarcasm) about the days when the US turns a blind eye to political prisoners are gone. So....we're leaning on China now regarding Taiwan? and Hong Kong? We're going to deliver a political bitch slap to Putin? I can finally expect to hear the word "Mugabe" come out of your mouth, Mr. President? I can, of course, also safely assume from this that we'll stop shipping folks we've arrested on suspusion of terror activities to places like Syria and Egypt?

And--now this is exciting--I can expect you to learn what "tribal soverignty" means for the next time you have the misfortune to encounter a real journalist? Since the next four years will be all about freedom and self-determination of peoples?

SD, who is not holding her breath
Old 01-20-2005, 01:08 PM   #14
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars
Excuse me Kerry Lovers, but I think Kerry wouldn´t have made a huge difference regarding foreign politics. Maybe on some other issues, yes.

All I can say is, I wouldn´t have worked my ass off to support him.

The Dems will have to find a suitable candidate who is a positive, religious, leftist opposition. Propaganda comes from both sides.

With the argument about 100 million, I may not be as wrong as you think I am. I´d just like if most Americans woke up from their technicolor dream, eat less junk food, reduce environmental destruction - hey, I am poisoned by YOUR cars too - pay for what they have fucked up (just like some European nations), reverse the national fearmongering trend, forbid small arms sales, lobby to change unfair trade policies, put high taxes on speculation profits,..

The list goes on and on, and I doubt Kerry would have changed the nation.
I hope the "Kerry Lovers" remark wasn't directed at me, a sworn "Kerry Tolerator".

Your point about propaganda coming from both sides is true and well taken, but irrelevant; the Dems right now are have no power to propagate. We're a sad bunch of folks.

Your wish list sounds good to me. I'll gladly give up my car if meaningful public transportation ever finds its way to Texas. But I'm not holding my breath, even if it would arguably be safer than actually breathing the air here....
Old 01-20-2005, 02:17 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:56 AM
I hated the speech. Sounded too, how shall we put it, to much like we were going to intervene in other countries civil wars.