Bush's "Holy" War - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Bush's "Holy" War

While I'm not a liberal, in fact, I like to see things from a spiritual perspective before a political one, there's something I find very wrong about this war that's really beginning to piss me off. I have to wonder why President Bush believes so strongly that this is Jesus' war, or when he makes any war-related references to God.

Is Bush a false prophet?

As someone who might lean right of center, it's a very hard question to ask, unless you really believe that spirituality should be more important than politics. This doesn't mean I'm against the war, this doesn't mean I'm for it. I'm very neutral, I see lies on both sides, and the truth about our peacemaking process has not been properly exposed. I don't know if we'll ever know the truth about how much peace we have made. Hopefully a lot has been done to improve the quality of life in Iraq.

Look what false prophecy has done to Northern Ireland! As a believer in God, I find it blasphemous for anyone to claim that their war is Jesus' war, or that freedom is God's gift to humanity, who teaches him this crap? He's got every right to believe in God, obviously, but I'm sure that many atheists and believers alike think this man is brainwashed.

If Bush would do one thing for me, I would ask him not to use God's name in vain, especially when he is defending his war. The only war Christians can be sure of that is Jesus' war is the War on Spirituality.

Please feel free to comment.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:18 PM
I'm with you. I really believed what John Kerry said something along the lines of we should not be claiming that God is on our side, but we should try to be on God's side. Very true.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I'm with you. I really believed what John Kerry said something along the lines of we should not be claiming that God is on our side, but we should try to be on God's side. Very true.
I loved that, I think it's very true.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't think people fool anyone when they say that God is with a certain candidate. I find it vain.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

I agree.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:41 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Re: Bush's "Holy" War

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I have to wonder why President Bush believes so strongly that this is Jesus' war, or when he makes any war-related references to God.
Which of Bush's statements lead to this conclusion?

I agree with U2democrat - we ought to be on God's side, not claim Him for our side (as if we really could).
Old 11-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I'm just not comfortable with him claiming that his vision is also God's vision, and as a man in his power claiming that (fill in the blank) is God's gift to humanity. I believe that eternity is God's gift to humanity, and I also feel that we should be very careful when we associate Jesus with politics.

The way to get on God's side is to realize that spirituality is more important than political views, I feel very safe making that statement. We can never be sure about every issue Jesus would approve of. We might like to, but The Bible is not a political referendum.

Think about the people in Northern Ireland who've suffered violence that was claimed in God's name (as Sunday Bloody Sunday's verse - "to claim the war that Jesus won...") If we can use that as an example as to why God's name should not be used so much in politics. So many people in that country have lost their faith because religious fanatics with their own agenda - Not God's agenda - make the claim that their violence is of God.

I just think the president should be careful when he talks about God. I think it throws a lot of people off when we claim that God is for Candidate X. I think it throws a lot of people off when we try to assume that Jesus would belong to a certain party. I personally feel that politics is mindmush to begin with, and both sides are too distant to work together. Why mix mindmush with God?

Believe it or not, I expected a conservative to reply to this. I'm not going to change my political leanings just because of this, but I would take politics to a height that they don't belong at if I wouldn't admit to any faults within my own party.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:04 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

religion and politics to me is like mixing.....um.....i'm not good at chemistry but whatever 2 elements make a big explosion.

wow that sounded kind of dumb but oh well
Old 11-29-2004, 06:11 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:18 AM
Percy Saw Berty Catch My Alligator Zit Caroline Munching Strawberries Playing Golf.

That gives you the reactivity of metals, Percy = Potassium, Saw = Sodium etc. therefore if you were to take some elemental potassium and just stick it in some dihydrogen monoxide you would get some fun stuff.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

ahhhhhhh ok. well mixing politics and religion is like mixing potassium and dihydrogen monoxide!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:18 AM
Did you know that dihydrogen monoxide kills more people every year than any other chemical and yet you can buy it pretty much anywhere?
Old 11-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

wait...........its WATER
Old 11-29-2004, 06:16 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

ha! i actually remembered something from chemistry!!!!!!! something i understood!! now i'm proud of myself
Old 11-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think it's great if someone's spirituality has an influence over their political beliefs, I just don't think it's okay to claim everything in God's name. First of all, the world is watching your every move, some people already dislike you because of your political views, and you're a human being, so you're going to make a mistake somewhere down the road. We've seen way too many crimes of carelessness in God's name, which is where they don't belong in the first place.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:43 PM   #15
War Child

Bush referred to this war as a 'crusade' early on. Did he really want people to remember the slaughter in God's name that were the Crusades when they thought about this war? The way Bush conjours up religious imagery scares me. Doesn't he believe the separation of Church and State applies to his administration?