Bush's approval rating hits an all time low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Republicans abandoning Bush
NBC/WSJ poll: President’s, Congress’ ratings drop to lowest levels ever
By Mark Murray
Deputy political director
NBC News
Updated: 8:05 p.m. ET June 13, 2007

WASHINGTON - As President Bush attempts to revive the controversial immigration reform bill he supports, the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds that Republicans are abandoning the president, which has dropped his job-approval rating below 30 percent -- his lowest mark ever in the survey.

But he isn’t the only one whose support is on the decline in the poll. Congress’ approval rating has plummeted eight points, bringing it below even Bush’s. And just one in five believe the country is on the right track, which is the lowest number on this question in nearly 15 years.

Republican pollster Neil Newhouse, who conducted the survey with Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, argues that these numbers have crossed below the political “Mendoza line,” referring to the feeble .200 batting-average mark in baseball. “With the mood of the country dropping below 20, and the president’s approval below 30, both are candidates for a sort of political Mendoza line,” he says.

In the poll, Bush’s approval rating is at just 29 percent. It’s a drop of six points since April, and it represents his lowest mark ever on this question in the NBC/Journal poll.

Democratic pollster Jay Campbell, who works with Hart, attributes this decline to Republicans. Back in April, 75 percent of Republicans approved of Bush’s job performance, compared with 21 percent who disapproved. Now, only 62 percent of Republican approve, versus 32 percent who disapprove.

This drop comes as Bush tries to resuscitate the comprehensive immigration reform bill in the U.S. Senate, which has angered many Americans -- particularly conservatives -- because they believe its provisions allowing for a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants amount to “amnesty.” Bush and other supporters of the legislation dispute that charge.

“This is a highly emotional issue,” Bush said of the legislation while visiting Capitol Hill on Tuesday. “But those of us standing here believe now is the time to move a comprehensive bill that enforces our borders and has good workplace enforcement, that doesn't grant automatic citizenship, that addresses this problem in a comprehensive way.”

Campbell speculates that the debate over the Senate immigration bill -- and the passions it has stirred -- is largely responsible for the decline in GOP support for Bush. “It seems like a pretty good guess that a large portion of the drop is immigration related,” he says.

Also in the poll, only 23 percent approve of the job that Congress is doing, a decline of eight points since April. That number is within striking distance of the 16-percent rating Congress held in October 2006, just before Republicans lost control of both the Senate and House in last year’s midterms.

While Campbell says that the low approval rating reflects “poorly on the Democratic leadership” in Congress, he wouldn’t hit the panic just yet if he were Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. “If these numbers were popping up six months, eight months from now, then I’d be concerned.”

Furthermore, the survey -- which was taken of 1,008 adults from June 8-11, and which has a margin of error of plus-minus 3.1 percentage points -- shows that just 19 percent believe the country is headed in the right direction. That’s the lowest number on that question in nearly 15 years.

By comparison, a whopping 68 percent think the country is on the wrong track.

Bush's rating is in fact lower than that. The problem is that there has been a large exodus from the Republican party and those people largely consider themselves to be Independents. But the polls are still relying on old ratios and so they're including a set proportion of "Republicans" which is deceptive, since the ones who haven't yet run from the party are the true die-hard base.

The Congress also fully deserves their low rating for being pathetic and completely lacking any kind of courage. You have a president that means nothing anymore and you are still afraid of making a principled stand. So, you belong in the 20s right alongside him. Enjoy!

And congress's is even lower! They duped the public into voting them in and believing they'd do something and they totally caved. I knew it all along, but I'm sorry for those of you who were fooled and actually celebrated when they won. They used the unpopularity of the war to get in, that's all they wanted. Their promises to you mean nothing.

And congress's is even lower! They duped the public into voting them in and believing they'd do something and they totally caved. I knew it all along, but I'm sorry for those of you who were fooled and actually celebrated when they won. They used the unpopularity of the war to get in, that's all they wanted. Their promises to you mean nothing.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:

I hate to say it but these days I'm about as disillusioned as you are when it comes to politicians.

maycocksean said:

I hate to say it but these days I'm about as disillusioned as you are when it comes to politicians.

I hate to say it, but good! More people need to see through the lies and trickery and let them all know we will no longer accept the status quo that does no good for the country or the people!

We desperately need to make a statement. As long as people continue to vote for the 'lesser of evils' one of them will always be in there, and things will never change.

You desperately need a third...and fourth and fifth viable party. The two that you have are equally as useless.

Irvine511 said:
how does not voting change things?

When they get a 23% -or less- voter turnout, they'll realize how disillusioned the people are and know they have to change. It may not happen right away, but it's a start. We DO need other parties, other alternatives, new people with new ideas who aren't going to bow to the almighty dollar, lobbyists and 'party unity.' We need someone who will truly stand for US and let them know that is what they MUST do to get our support! You see, they want power, and if you don't let them have it, it will scare them. They will change, or hopefully, others will come along that will change things.

I must ask you- how does voting change things? You voted, nothing's changed!

anitram said:
You desperately need a third...and fourth and fifth viable party. The two that you have are equally as useless.

Could this man be the answer?

Not the most handsome fellow, but he does carry abit of needed charismo w him- even has a gorgeous classy wife. He is relatively untainted compared to the other candidates running. He hasn't even announced his candidacy and fairs very well in the current polls. Fellow Americans, this could very well be your new Daddy. So, say hello

Attachments

• thompson_main310.jpg
    thompson_main310.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
When they get a 23% -or less- voter turnout, they'll realize how disillusioned the people are and know they have to change.

If you believe this, you're as naive as you think we voters are.

Low voter turnouts allow those in power to consolidate their power and get away with thinking that maybe elections aren't needed.

No thinks. I'll keep voting so they know I'm still watching and paying attention.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:

I must ask you- how does voting change things? You voted, nothing's changed!

i'm registered in VA, i voted, and George Allen lost and Jim Webb won. the senate went into the hands of the Democrats. that's a big deal.

so they cave on an Iraq vote. we can be disappointed, but this is quite different than saying that nothing has changed. the process is slow, but more power in the hands of the Democrats will start to change things.

and if you don't participatpe, you've lost your right to complain. they're counting on you not to vote, so they can mobilize the sheep who will vote how they want them to, so they can increase their power.

and there's a lot more to voting than selecting members of congress or the president. there are countless laws and local and state offices that can make quite a noticeable difference in the quality of life.

note this passage from a TIME magazine article on Bloomberg and Schwarenagger:

[q]They're also doing big things. Specifically, they're doing big things that Washington has failed to do. In a time of federal policy paralysis, when partisanship-on-crack has made compromise almost impossible, when President George W. Bush's political adviser is a household name but his domestic policy adviser was unknown even in Washington until he was arrested for shoplifting, cities and states are filling the void. Bloomberg and Schwarzenegger happen to be the best examples of this phenomenon as well as the best known. Bloomberg is 65; the Last Action Hero is turning 60; they've got better things to do than bicker and posture. "These are two exceptional and forceful guys who don't need the job at all; they had pretty damn good lives before they got into politics," says their mutual friend Warren Buffett. "They're in office to get things done. And they're doing that a lot better than anyone in D.C."

Look at global warming. Washington rejected the Kyoto Protocol, but more than 500 U.S. mayors have pledged to meet its emissions-reduction standards, none more aggressively than Bloomberg. His PlaNYC calls for a 30% cut in greenhouse gases by 2030. It will quadruple the city's bike lanes, convert the city's taxis to hybrids and impose a controversial congestion fee for driving into Manhattan. And Schwarzenegger signed the U.S.'s first cap on greenhouse gases, including unprecedented fuel-efficiency standards for California cars. (He's already tricked out two of his five Hummers, one to run on biofuel and another on hydrogen.) The feds have done nothing on fuel efficiency in two decades, but 11 states will follow California's lead if Bush grants a waiver. After signing a climate deal with Ontario — on the same day as his stem-cell deal — he said he had a message for Detroit: "Get off your butt!" He had a similar message for Washington. "Eventually, the Federal Government is going to get on board," he said. "If not, we're going to sue."
But they're tackling not just the climate. Bloomberg is leading a national crackdown on illegal guns, along with America's biggest affordable-housing program. He also enacted America's most draconian smoking ban and the first big-city trans-fat ban. And he's so concerned about Washington's neglect of the working poor that he's raised $50 million in private money, including some of his own millions, to fund a pilot workfare program. Meanwhile, after the Bush Administration rebuffed California's appeals for help repairing the precarious levees that protect Sacramento, Schwarzenegger pushed through $42 billion worth of bonds to start rebuilding the state's infrastructure. He's also pushing a universal health-insurance plan and hopes to negotiate a deal with Democrats this summer. "All the great ideas are coming from state and local governments," Schwarzenegger told Time. "We're not going to wait for Big Daddy to take care of us."

[...]

So they're not exactly playing politics as usual. But their model of crossing party lines to act where Washington won't is increasingly common. As D.C. politics has become more of a zero-sum partisan game, mayors and Governors in both parties have taken on predatory lending, obesity, energy, health care and even immigration. "It's innovation by necessity," says Stephen Goldsmith, a former Republican mayor of Indianapolis who oversees Harvard's Innovations in American Government awards. This year hardly any federal programs applied. "Very unusual," Goldsmith says.[/q]

there's more to voting than just sending people to Washington DC. and you can bet that if Al Gore had won, or Kerry had won, things would be different than they are today.

..and if if and ands were candys and chocolates we would all have a Happy Hallowen and a very Merry Christmas.
:D

:huh:

Irvine, exxxxxxxcellent post as usual :yes:

Would you be interested in being some sort of speechwriter for me someday? :sexywink: You always manage to put into words what's on my mind so much more eloquently and clearer than I ever could.

martha said:

You've stopped making sense lately. :huh:

and you can bet that if Al Gore had won, or Kerry had won

and if if and ands were candys and chocolates we would all have a Happy Hallowen and a very Merry Christmas.

The point is they didn't win, and you cannot live your life on
ifs
ands
or
buts,
get it?

However some butts may warrant an examination.:sexywink:

:wink:

dbs

Liesje said:

There are plenty of them in my neck of the woods. :grumpy: If I get their gist, it's not so much that they support Bush, but they feel like in order to stay true to their moral Christian family (read: fascist fundamentalist) values, they have to blindly support "God's chosen one" (read: the Republican).

OK, now I'm going to go purge because I just typed that
:barf:

Yeah, they want to support the conservative agenda......and that means giving Bush positive ratings to people who call doing these polls. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

It really scares me when people believe leaders are in office because God wanted them there, and that everything they do is the will of God. I find much of it rather unholy myself....

It's being noted in Turkey. Full article represented due to registration requirements. BTW Bush is very unpopular in Turkey.

Bush plunges to new low in poll
Friday, June 15, 2007
print this page mail to a friend

U.S. President George W. Bush's approval rating plunged to a new low of 29 percent in the Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll, The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday. With the public disenchanted by his Iraq strategy, and in the wake of a White House defeat on a landmark immigration bill, Bush hit his lowest level in six years.

Two-thirds of Americans say they disapprove of how he is leading the country, up from 61 percent last December. Likewise, only two Americans in 10 said in the new poll that they feel the country is headed in the right direction, compared to 22 percent just two months ago and 29 percent in December. Approximately 68 percent said the country is on the wrong track, 12 points higher than six months ago.

The dismal news for the White House was underscored by equally bad news for Bush's Republican Party 17 months before presidential elections: 49 percent of those surveyed for the poll said the Democrat Party most closely reflects their beliefs, against 36 percent who felt that about Republicans.

That was the Republican Party's lowest showing in the two decades of the WSJ/NBC poll, the Journal said. To underscore that, 52 percent of the 1,008 adults surveyed said they would prefer a Democrat in the 2008 race, while only 31 percent said they would choose a Republican. "The political environment for Republicans continues to erode," pollster Neil Newhouse commented.

The erosion in support for Bush came from his core Republican backers in light of the lack of evident progress toward a resolution of the Iraq war, and following Bush's support for a bill that offers 12 million illegal aliens a chance to become citizens. The bill, which has stalled in the Senate, provoked deep ire from US conservatives.

However, the Journal noted, the poll was not all-good news for Democrats: at just 23 percent, the approval rating for the Democrat-led Congress is lower than Bush's.

26 Least popular President since Nixon

Newsweek Poll: How Low Can Bush Go?
WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Marcus Mabry
Newsweek
Updated: 11:49 a.m. ET June 21, 2007

June 21, 2007 - In 19 months, George W. Bush will leave the White House for the last time. The latest NEWSWEEK Poll suggests that he faces a steep climb if he hopes to coax the country back to his side before he goes. In the new poll, conducted Monday and Tuesday nights, President Bush’s approval rating has reached a record low. Only 26 percent of Americans, just over one in four, approve of the job the 43rd president is doing; while, a record 65 percent disapprove, including nearly a third of Republicans.

The new numbers—a 2 point drop from the last NEWSWEEK Poll at the beginning of May—are statistically unchanged, given the poll’s 4 point margin of error. But the 26 percent rating puts Bush lower than Jimmy Carter, who sunk to his nadir of 28 percent in a Gallup poll in June 1979. In fact, the only president in the last 35 years to score lower than Bush is Richard Nixon. Nixon’s approval rating tumbled to 23 percent in January 1974, seven months before his resignation over the botched Watergate break-in.

The war in Iraq continues to drag Bush down. A record 73 percent of Americans disapprove of the job Bush has done handling Iraq. Despite “the surge” in U.S. forces into Baghdad and Iraq’s western Anbar province, a record-low 23 percent of Americans approve of the president’s actions in Iraq, down 5 points since the end of March.

But the White House cannot pin his rating on the war alone. Bush scores record or near record lows on every major issue: from the economy (34 percent approve, 60 percent disapprove) to health care (28 percent approve, 61 percent disapprove) to immigration (23 percent approve, 63 percent disapprove). And—in the worst news, perhaps, for the crowded field of Republicans hoping to succeed Bush in 2008—50 percent of Americans disapprove of the president’s handling of terrorism and homeland security. Only 43 percent approve, on an issue that has been the GOP’s trump card in national elections since 9/11.

If there is any good news for Bush and the Republicans in the latest NEWSWEEK Poll, it’s that the Democratic-led Congress fares even worse than the president. Only 25 percent of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing.

In the scariest news for the Democratic candidates seeking their party’s nomination in 2008, even rank-and-file Democrats are unhappy with Congress, which is narrowly controlled by their party. Only 27 percent of Democrats approve of the job Congress is doing, a statistically insignificant difference from the 25 percent of Republicans and 25 percent of independents who approve of Congress.

Overall, 63 percent of Americans disapprove of the job Congress is doing, including 60 percent of Democrats, 67 percent of Republicans and 64 percent of Independents. Apparently, voters aren’t happy with anyone in Washington these days.

I saw a Tshirt the other day that said "I never thought I'd miss Nixon...thanks Bush" or something along those lines.

MrsSpringsteen said:
26 Least popular President since Nixon

Newsweek Poll: How Low Can Bush Go?
WEB EXCLUSIVE
By Marcus Mabry
Newsweek
Updated: 11:49 a.m. ET June 21, 2007

June 21, 2007 - In 19 months, George W. Bush will leave the White House for the last time. The latest NEWSWEEK Poll suggests that he faces a steep climb if he hopes to coax the country back to his side before he goes. In the new poll, conducted Monday and Tuesday nights, President Bush’s approval rating has reached a record low. Only 26 percent of Americans, just over one in four, approve of the job the 43rd president is doing; while, a record 65 percent disapprove, including nearly a third of Republicans.

The new numbers—a 2 point drop from the last NEWSWEEK Poll at the beginning of May—are statistically unchanged, given the poll’s 4 point margin of error. But the 26 percent rating puts Bush lower than Jimmy Carter, who sunk to his nadir of 28 percent in a Gallup poll in June 1979. In fact, the only president in the last 35 years to score lower than Bush is Richard Nixon. Nixon’s approval rating tumbled to 23 percent in January 1974, seven months before his resignation over the botched Watergate break-in.

The war in Iraq continues to drag Bush down. A record 73 percent of Americans disapprove of the job Bush has done handling Iraq. Despite “the surge” in U.S. forces into Baghdad and Iraq’s western Anbar province, a record-low 23 percent of Americans approve of the president’s actions in Iraq, down 5 points since the end of March.

But the White House cannot pin his rating on the war alone. Bush scores record or near record lows on every major issue: from the economy (34 percent approve, 60 percent disapprove) to health care (28 percent approve, 61 percent disapprove) to immigration (23 percent approve, 63 percent disapprove). And—in the worst news, perhaps, for the crowded field of Republicans hoping to succeed Bush in 2008—50 percent of Americans disapprove of the president’s handling of terrorism and homeland security. Only 43 percent approve, on an issue that has been the GOP’s trump card in national elections since 9/11.

If there is any good news for Bush and the Republicans in the latest NEWSWEEK Poll, it’s that the Democratic-led Congress fares even worse than the president. Only 25 percent of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing.

In the scariest news for the Democratic candidates seeking their party’s nomination in 2008, even rank-and-file Democrats are unhappy with Congress, which is narrowly controlled by their party. Only 27 percent of Democrats approve of the job Congress is doing, a statistically insignificant difference from the 25 percent of Republicans and 25 percent of independents who approve of Congress.

Overall, 63 percent of Americans disapprove of the job Congress is doing, including 60 percent of Democrats, 67 percent of Republicans and 64 percent of Independents. Apparently, voters aren’t happy with anyone in Washington these days.

MaxFisher said:
There's a general disdain for Washington right now.

do you think that's really an adequate explanation for Bush's numbers?

Congressional numbers, absolutely. witness the Schwarzenagger/Bloomberg cover of Newsweek.

but Bush?

Back
Top Bottom