Bush will help Bono - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Bush will help Bono

With people like Michael Stipe of REM and Bruce Springsteen taking up arms against a popular president like George Bush, Bono played it smart and tried to appeal to both US parties. After Bush's major election win (more Americans voted for Bush than any other president in US history yesterday) instead of being shunned aside by the US administration, Bono still has somewhat of a "friend" in the White House which should be very good for his Africa initiatives. Bono is a true leader and extremely smart to not attack and smear Bush like so many of his classless, ignorant, and out-of-touch-with-America musicians. I predict in his second term, Bush will do even more to alleviate the AIDS crisis and will be willing to listen to more of what Bono has to say. This is a great day in US history and I'm glad Bono never turned himself into a fanatical, angry anti-Bush yahoo like so many other great celebrities. (shouldn't this all be a different thread? Something about Bono's work in Africa? This all seems like misplaced discussion to me)

Viva Bush!

Old 11-03-2004, 01:17 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Only friends with people who can kiss up butts ?

I hope Bush will be smarter than this.

Old 11-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:47 PM
So anyone who was against Bush is classless, ignorant, and out-of-touch-with-America? That's classless and ignorant.

Bush hasn't done shit so far for Africa. Funding has come up for vote already once and not even one of Bush's party voted for it. He must pushing them hard...
Old 11-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #4
The Fly

Stop bitching, work together

Bush is not a dictator, he is a president. He offered a tripling of aid to Africa after meeting with Bono. He stunned the nation with his AIDS talk during his Sate of the Union speech last January. He made an extraordinary effort to reach out to Africa and the crisis. Nobody gives him credit because it's unpopular among uneducated youngsters and fools to give Bush credit for anything. But Bono did give him credit, and thanked him by staying on the sidelines of this election. This is why I have undying respect and admiration for Bono - what a brave and wonderful man to swallow his pride and stand next to Bush to work this out. America is the most powerful, educated, wealthy, and libertarian nations in the world - Bono was wise to keep Bush as a friend instead of being a loudmouth child like Springsteen, Stipe, Mellencamp, et al.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 02:47 PM
I agree that Bono was very wise to stay out of the fray, and that it's gotta be good for the cause!
yah for Bono, yah for Bush's commitment, hope he produces!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Re: Bush will help Bono

Quote:
Originally posted by bostonmike4444
With people like Michael Stipe of REM and Bruce Springsteen taking up arms against a popular president like George Bush, Bono played it smart and tried to appeal to both US parties. After Bush's major election win (more Americans voted for Bush than any other president in US history yesterday) instead of being shunned aside by the US administration, Bono still has somewhat of a "friend" in the White House which should be very good for his Africa initiatives. Bono is a true leader and extremely smart to not attack and smear Bush like so many of his classless, ignorant, and out-of-touch-with-America musicians. I predict in his second term, Bush will do even more to alleviate the AIDS crisis and will be willing to listen to more of what Bono has to say. This is a great day in US history and I'm glad Bono never turned himself into a fanatical, angry anti-Bush yahoo like so many other great celebrities. (shouldn't this all be a different thread? Something about Bono's work in Africa? This all seems like misplaced discussion to me)

Viva Bush!
Bono also is not an American citizen and as an outsider shouldn't voice his opinion.

On the other hand Bruce Springsteen, the Dixie Chicks, Dave Mathews and other American musicians who made their opinions known have every right to lend their support to the candidate of their choice.

Those musicians have every right to support to Kerry just as Brooks and Dunn, Toby Keith, Britney Spears and other American musicians chose to publicly support Bush.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:47 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:47 PM
Re: Stop bitching, work together

Quote:
Bush is not a dictator, he is a president. He offered a tripling of aid to Africa after meeting with Bono. He stunned the nation with his AIDS talk during his Sate of the Union speech last January. He made an extraordinary effort to reach out to Africa and the crisis. Nobody gives him credit because it's unpopular among uneducated youngsters and fools to give Bush credit for anything. But Bono did give him credit, and thanked him by staying on the sidelines of this election. This is why I have undying respect and admiration for Bono - what a brave and wonderful man to swallow his pride and stand next to Bush to work this out. America is the most powerful, educated, wealthy, and libertarian nations in the world - Bono was wise to keep Bush as a friend instead of being a loudmouth child like Springsteen, Stipe, Mellencamp, et al.
No one called Bush a dictator. Bush is all talk on this subject. Yes he spoke about it, big deal unless you act upon it. He wasn't able to convince one person from his own party, he's suppose to be a leader. You would think he'd be able to convince at least one. He hasn't spoken about it since. Bono plays it non-partisan, he has to. I'm sure it's hard and I admire him for it. He said he even have lunch with the devil if he thought it would help.

Honestly though right now you are the only one coming off uneducated by continually calling people names. This is a place for debate, not personal attacks.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Bush will help Bono

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn
Bono also is not an American citizen and as an outsider shouldn't voice his opinion.
I'm not sure how I feel about the original message of this thread, but everyone has every right to voice whatever opinion they want. Why does citizenship matter? Should we not listen to the opinions of European leaders, or UN leaders b/c they are not American?
Old 11-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
The Fly

I didn't want to debate the pros and cons of Bush, just that I think Bono is a very smart guy for how he played this all out. I imagine that if he has something he wants to talk to Bush about, he'll have an open ear. I know a lot of you european fans only hear negative things about Bush because of how your national media is structured, but Bush just won more votes than any other President in the HISTORY of the US - taking a staucnh anti-Bush attitude would repel this nation and hurt the chances of Bono's work getting an open ear in Washington.

It's a very happy day to be American, let's hope that with the nuisance of the democratic party silenced, Bush can concentrate on his long-term goals of bringing peaceful, free states to the Middle East and have more time to work on the several problems destroying Africa.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:52 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Bono is just being a diplomat. I don't know if he supported either of the two candidates but I don't think he wanted to be in a position where he endorsed one candidate and ended up having to work with the other.

As for the money Bush promised, seeing is believing. His faith-based-initiative and his promotion of abstinence (sp?) as the Holy Grail is probably counterproductive. But I'm sure there are other people here who know more about this subject than I do.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:53 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I know a lot of you european fans only hear negative things about Bush because of how your national media is structured,
Nonsense
Old 11-03-2004, 01:53 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Bush will help Bono

Quote:
a popular president like George Bush,
Also ... a popular president. Have you forgotten that half of the country (when you include people who voted for Kerry, Nader and the other independent candidates) didn't want Bush to stay in office.

Quote:
After Bush's major election win (more Americans voted for Bush than any other president in US history yesterday)

A faulty argument. Voter turn out was high ... that's why Bush had so many votes. If I am not mistaken Kerry also had a record number of votes.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #13
The Fly

Not since 1988 has a President received a higher percentage of votes. Bush has a very clear mandate - this is BUSH COUNTRY NOW! And his brother Jeb will be president in 2008!

I believe in Bush's values and I believe that he will do whatever he can to help in Africa. It's tough when the whole world looks to America to solve all of it's problems, but I think Bush, in a second-term without fear of re-election, will do a great job.

Bono is a true genius for how he played this one out.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:01 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Bush will help Bono

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I'm not sure how I feel about the original message of this thread, but everyone has every right to voice whatever opinion they want. Why does citizenship matter? Should we not listen to the opinions of European leaders, or UN leaders b/c they are not American?
What I meant by my comment is that the policies of America (healthcare, job creation, economy) don't directly affect his life.

Bono is certainly free to form and express his opinions about American politics (just as I am free to express my opinions about the political atmosphere of any country around the world). However, Bono does not live here. His day to day life is not impacted by the policy decisions of the administration is in power (be it a Dem or a Rep administration).

I think foreign policy is another area, because every nation's policies have an impact on other nations.

However in my message I suppose I was focusing on domestic policy issues--which seemed to be of more importance to voters in this election.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #15
New Yorker

If the Democrats allowed Nader on the ballot in some states, Kerry would have lost more convincingly IMO however they wanted to limit the choice of Americans and succeeded to a degree only to fail in the end.

Tags
bono