Bush will help Bono - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2004, 02:23 AM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 05:59 PM
I agree wigh GOP_Catholic.. if the churches (and other religious institutions) get back to basics with their people on how to live life, encouraging early marriage, etc, i think this is one of the major things that needs to be done to help the process along, alongside drugs from north america

Old 11-05-2004, 04:23 AM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by GOP_Catholic

The whole planet knows by now how to avoid AIDS.
You honestly know nothing about what's going on in Africa. You may know about AIDS because you were fortunate enough to grow up in a country that provided education...hello that took money.

Also you fail to mention that something like 50% of girls are raped by age 14. Children are being born with the disease left and right...I guess you are going to tell them abstinence will save their life?

The world's not black and white, open your eyes and see the gray. More important open your heart. Jesus said to give to the least of your brothers.

Old 11-05-2004, 04:29 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:59 PM

Education in a large part of Africa is in the hands of the church where it continues to voice their unproductive abstinence mantra and has no problems spreading lies about the AIDS virus passing through the condom.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:48 AM   #64
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

The world's not black and white, open your eyes and see the gray. More important open your heart. Jesus said to give to the least of your brothers.
This is where I get so angry about the lack of support. America is supposedly such a Christian country with high moral values. Yet so few have really opened their heart to help bring Justice for Africa. Jesus preaches love and compassion. Jesus champions the poor and needy. Why are so many Christians seemingly so blind to this?

GOP_Catholic and bcrt2000: Please take the time to read the http://www.data.org/ website. Bono and the other founders of DATA have spent a few years preparing to answer all arguments that you have to not help. Ultimately you will find taht there is no good reason to walk away from this without assisting. Please check it out.

Then click on my signature and sign!
Old 11-05-2004, 05:01 AM   #65
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
BostonAnne, that's why it's up to us to bring the message of the AIDS pandemic in Africa to our neighbors, our schoole, our co-workers, our places of worship, etc. - to help the American people understand this pandemic and why it is important for us to care about it.

This what Bono is hoping that we would do - help him spread the message of The ONE Campaign and help ensure FULL FUNDING of the Global AIDS programs (including the Millenium Challenge Account) that Bush and Congress agreed to.

When you hear Bono speaking about the AIDS pandemic in Africa, this is ALL he talks about.

AN AMERICAN PRAYER....
I know, I'm just trying to point out that perhaps Bush would do more if people were louder. I don't mean to get all negative - I just want people to do something today. I want lives saved TODAY. This process is taking way to long.

I just don't know what to say to people like GOP_Catholic that can easily dismiss the deaths of so many people every day as though they deserve it or something. It is impossible to compare our spoiled lives to the lives of those that live in poverty. How do you get through? How can any Christian say that another human deserves to live in poverty, starvation and disease? How will God judge those that are missing the teachings of Jesus?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:06 AM   #66
Refugee

"History will judge us on how we respond to the AIDS emergency in Africa...whether we stood around with watering cans and watched while a whole continent burst into flames... or not" -Bono
Old 11-05-2004, 08:10 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

BostonAnne - you are NOT negative. You are ONE of the few POSITIVE voices (like stars, BonoVoxSupastar,etc) in FYM.

Ultimately I have come to believe throught the last few months being a part time poster in FYM, that the overly conservative and reactionary opinions expressed in this forum IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE of the majority of Interferencers.

I say this because even our own presidential poll showed the overwhelming majority of us who participated in the poll were voting for Kerry - though by the majority of the posts here you wouldn't have thought so.

So that leads me to believe that the people who continually (ad naseum sometimes) post their viciously insensitive comments in FYM are never going to be persuaded to constructively rethink their prejudiced viewpoints and, quite honestly, I am too busy trying to help make our world a better place (especially for the people in Africa that so many here are being way too judgmental of), that I don't even care to try to debate them.

Their opinions, quite honestly, would probably make Bono shudder with disappointment and anger.

But they are entitled to their completely misinformed viewpoints and I wouldn't let anything said here in FYM to discourage you, BostonAnne or stars or BonoVoxSupastar or anyone else that supports the Global AIdS and anti-poverty movement from continuing to support these movements.

There are millions of people who are desparately poor and clinging to life who need your positive energy.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE....and THANK YOU, BONO.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:18 AM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Jamila

I've begun to see a trend of judgmental posts regarding those members you approve of and those who you deem "reactionary" or "insensitive".

Let's stick to the issues, ok?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:32 AM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The Truth hurts, doesn't it?
Old 11-05-2004, 08:38 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Nice childish response.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #71
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
There are millions of people who are desparately poor and clinging to life who need your positive energy.

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE....and THANK YOU, BONO.
Thanks for the encouragement Jamila.

nbc - you want Jamila to stay on the issue, yet you posted in this thread and did not discuss the issue at all.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:07 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

Thanks for the encouragement Jamila.

nbc - you want Jamila to stay on the issue, yet you posted in this thread and did not discuss the issue at all.
It was going across more than one thread. I just happened to pick this one. Sorry.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:08 PM   #73
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:59 PM
I think there are a lot of great posters here, even if I don't agree with them all. Immature to say otherwise.

Maybe Bono will help BUSH! That's my sincere hope. Help direct him to do the right things and be charitable and help the U.S. be noble.

Maybe I can help BONO to help Bush.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #74
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller

Maybe I can help BONO to help Bush.
Yes! Start by signing up for action at data.org!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #75
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

Yes! Start by signing up for action at data.org!
Well, I signed up for something because I get their e-mails, but that's all.

I would LOVE to help Bono help BUSH help the world, really.

My husband and I yesterday decided that Bono has it right about America's role in the world and what we can do for the world, what we should do, and how good it will make us look, and how responsible it is...and my fear is that Bush won't do it. So, I am more motivated to help people help him do it, lol.

Tags
bono