Bush will help Bono - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2004, 06:17 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:16 AM
Bush was all for Bono's program when it was a political avantage to him.
It sounded really good in his state of the union address. But since then Bush & Co has allocated no additional funding and congress, which is controlled by Republicans, has actually scaled back on the amount promised.. Matter of fact the only monies allocated for this year hasn't even come to pass yet.
Besides the fact it was money that was already in the budget. Nothing new here. And even that amount has been reduced.

I'm just going on what Bono has said on numerous occasions, that he will not let them back down.

Yes he will work with this adminstration, but he's going to bust their ass when they lie.
And I have no doubt he getting ready to bust some ass..

Old 11-04-2004, 06:35 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Bush hasn't done shit so far for Africa. Funding has come up for vote already once and not even one of Bush's party voted for it. He must pushing them hard...
I read in a poll that 65% of our leaders are ready to help, but only 18% of the people are willing to. I read it at a doctors office in I think it was the "The International Economy Magazine", but can't find the info I read online.

I think it is our responsibility to push our politicians into action on this. Too many people are too selfish with our tax dollars, too indifferent about all of the lives lost every day.

Old 11-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #48
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
As someone who has had to make incessant phone calls to Congresspeople, send numerous emails to elected officials (including the President) and whose had to go back out on the streets to get petitions signed to KEEP BUSH'S (and Congress' )FEET TO THE FIRE to get the Global AIDS programs funded that they all approved of two years ago - I can tell you that if Bush and his Republican cohorts in Congress really wanted these programs to be effective, THEY WOULDN'T STAND IN THE WAY OF FULLY FUNDING THESE PROGRAMS!

Look what is on the DATA website:

http://www.data.org/archives/000558.php

If Bush and the Republicans were REALLY COMMITTED to keeping their promises to Africa, they wouldn't stand in the way of funding those programs!

To argue effectively, you gotta know what you're talking about.
Jamila - I am so proud of the work you do! I can not wait to see successful results! If more voices and petitions hit congress - do you think that Bush and his Republican cohorts would be standing in the way? Or is it that the American people are standing in the way with their indifference? I am starting to believe that too many Americans don't care and that is what the problem is to the road to results.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:02 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Traveller
I agree with the title of this post. I think Bush winning is a good thing for Bono. First of all, Bush already knows Bono and has had dealings with him, and Bono has already made inroads with him. Bush is not against helping Africa.
I can't agree that Bush winning is a good thing for Bono vs Kerry winning. I agree that Bush does want things to change and isn't against helping Africa - but I don't see him being very vocal about it. I would admire Bush's desire to help much more if he came out and spoke to America about the need to get the proper legislation through to help bring Justice for Africa. He talked of it in the State of the Union address almost 2 years ago and has spoken of the issue little since.

Kerry was front burner in a bi partision effort to end global AIDS. It is incorrect to assume that he wouldn't be equal to Bush in bringing justice for Africa. He might have been more vocal about it too given his support on the issue in the senate.

Again - I think the change has to come from the people first. More people need to wake up. This is also backed up by the change of Bono's strategy in the last couple of years. He spent a lot of time meeting with the leaders in America. While he hasn't stopped this - he has added a lot of things that are meant to open people's eyes vs. the government. 1st the tour in the Heartland meeting people. DATA participates in Rallies encouraging people to request a change. I really think the next step to success is bringing awareness and getting the support of the people.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:05 PM   #50
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by bcrt2000
I don't think it would make a difference either way if Bush or Kerry won, the fact is, as you can't make money off of something, no one will care about it
What can be done to change this attitude?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
Bush was all for Bono's program when it was a political avantage to him.
It sounded really good in his state of the union address. But since then Bush & Co has allocated no additional funding and congress, which is controlled by Republicans, has actually scaled back on the amount promised.. Matter of fact the only monies allocated for this year hasn't even come to pass yet.
Besides the fact it was money that was already in the budget. Nothing new here. And even that amount has been reduced.

I know I'm being repetative here, but I don't think it's Bush - it's lack of interest from the people that is causing a lot of the problems now. Again - I wish Bush would be more vocal to the people about the need to do this instead of letting the people direct him away from it all - but I think that is what is happening.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Let's get back on topic to the issue of Bono pursuing Bush to keep his promise to Africa....
Old 11-04-2004, 10:43 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:16 AM
BostonAnne, that's why it's up to us to bring the message of the AIDS pandemic in Africa to our neighbors, our schoole, our co-workers, our places of worship, etc. - to help the American people understand this pandemic and why it is important for us to care about it.

This what Bono is hoping that we would do - help him spread the message of The ONE Campaign and help ensure FULL FUNDING of the Global AIDS programs (including the Millenium Challenge Account) that Bush and Congress agreed to.

When you hear Bono speaking about the AIDS pandemic in Africa, this is ALL he talks about.

AN AMERICAN PRAYER....
Old 11-04-2004, 11:06 PM   #54
The Fly

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Considering that Bono has more money than Bush, I don't see why Bono needs Bush's help.

Avoiding AIDS doesn't require any federal funding. I have avoided AIDS without any federal grants, the folks at my church have avoided AIDS, but then again - the folks at my church follow the teachings and have morals. Bush has told Africa that an abstinence policy is most effective, he is 100% correct, if the folks don't want to listen to him, that is their fault. Personal responsibility is an amazing thing.

Abstinence = 100% effective, 100% free
Old 11-04-2004, 11:09 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:16 PM
I you can invent for me, right here and now, a way for billions of people to practice total abstinance that costs absolutlely nothing - well you would be a very interesting individual.

People fuck - always have and always will.

Your trollage is getting rather grating.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:15 PM   #56
The Fly

Local Time: 06:16 AM
A_Wanderer, well, if these people want to F as you put it, then they can deal with the consequences of F'ing.

The whole planet knows by now how to avoid AIDS.

If you think someone advocating abstinence is a troll, then you have just called the Pope a troll, real classy on your part.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:19 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

If people were to follow such a program then humanity would be extinct in 100 years, abstinance is simply not a feesible option for the AIDS crisis, if you have a religious oppositon to condoms and advocate an abstinance apporach then fine - but one shoulnt allow innocent people who do not even adhere to such beliefs to die because of them.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:41 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

A_Wanderer....f'cking is not the total picture here....

The crisis of AIDS in bound up in the crisis of poverty that is bound up in the crisis of ignorance that is bound up in the crisis of debts.

This problem is not a one sided deal.

There are many angles that need to be treated. And I for one feel that Bush has UNDERFUNDED his 'promises' is because he is incapable of dealing with them or he just doesnt care

TREAT THE PEOPLE
DROP THE DEBT
FAIR TRADE
STOP GLOBAL AIDS
Old 11-05-2004, 01:29 AM   #59
The Fly

Easy Stars!
Old 11-05-2004, 01:49 AM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

I do understand that, and I am very pissed off at the lack of funding by the Bush administration towards family planning and the underfunding of the promises, talk is cheap.

I am making the point that people will have sex one way or another, therefore simply proclaiming abstinance as a solution is fundamentally flawed. Given that you have to solve it one must drop the debts, reward good governance, fix up the patent issues and get the treatments to the people. It is not as simple as sex, therefore any solution that focuses solely on sex will ultimately fail.

Tags
bono