Bush will help Bono - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 08:54 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:26 PM
I'm glad that Bono was bi-partisan for this election. It was indeed very smart. I wouldn't have voted for Bush, but Bono says he has taken some steps toward Africa. Hopefully this will develop and continue...

Old 11-03-2004, 09:17 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Ok, I'm pretty young and this was the first election I've voted on. I'll say that lately I've gained alot of respect for Bono over the AIDS crisis. I've learned to respect him because of the way he presents himself. He may not want Bush in office, but he should show him respect if he ever expects to get anything.

Being an annoying, whiny loudmouth like Stipe or Springsteen WOULD ONLY HURT HIS CAUSE. And if Springsteen or Stipe plan on trying to help Bono's cause he better tell them to shut their yaps a bit, because they just annoy people and breed disrespect and apathy. I certainly have grown to disrespect these artists. They just grate on my nerves now. Also, their plan to get more young voters to turn out failed. If they want their way they need to stay more neutral, like Bono.

I'm not saying everyone needs to vote Bush or anything, but he's here weather they like it or not. If we want anything done in Africa we have to go through Bush. I think Bono is performing quite admirably in this regard. Artists such as Springsteen, Stipe, Vedder and the Dixie Chicks have accomplished nothing but to be loud, annoying and ineffective.

Old 11-04-2004, 05:49 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:26 PM
What Springsteen and company accomplished during this presidential campaign was to re-emphasize the fact that EVERY AMERICAN HAS THE RIGHT TO VOICE THEIR OPINIONS whether it is popular or not.

And that is the most important right that we have as Americans.

And I really think that people need to keep Bono out of this Presidential election - he had no part in it.

And the present administration and their Republican cohorts in Congress have tried to do everything they can to UNDERFUND the Global AIDS programs which Bono has fought so hard for.

So why is so many people here saying that the Bush administration is going to help Bono with Global AIDS funding?

YOU NEED TO DO YOUR RESEARCH on the struggle the Global AIDS movement is having with the Bush administration on funding levels for AIDS programs - maybe then you would see the erroneous nature of some of the comments in this thread.

Let me send this to y'all again:

http://www.data.org/archives/000558.php

This is Bono's advocacy group for Africa - do they look happy with the Bush administration's funding levels for Global AIDS?

THIS IS THE TIME TO FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED. THIS IS NO TIME TO DREAM....
Old 11-04-2004, 06:28 AM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Being an annoying, whiny loudmouth like Stipe or Springsteen

Down with free speech.

So we should tell the athletes that supported Bush to shut up too? Or is it OK since they supported your guy?
Old 11-04-2004, 07:31 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Down with free speech.

So we should tell the athletes that supported Bush to shut up too? Or is it OK since they supported your guy?
I never said down with free speech. I never said they shouldn't have the right to do what they did. EVERYONE completelty misunderstands me when I try to make that point. I'm saying, while it's fine to practice free speech, if you're loud and annoying you'll get nowhere, so it's just a waste. They didn't help their cause at all because they approached it in the wrong way. All they did was alienate fans and further annoy people who aren't fans. They also pushed alot of people AWAY from their cause. It's just like Michael Moore with his film. After seeingg in alot of Kerry supporters turned to vote for Bush instead!! He helped defeat the very cause he was fighting for by handling it the wrong way.

I think if Springsteen and Stipe wanted Bush out they should have communicated it a little better and more people would have listened.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #36
War Child

Local Time: 11:26 PM
I should try to make myself clearer here I think...
I applaud those musicians and actors and performers who did what they could to get out the vote, who spoke their minds, all that.
I just thought that given Bono's role as organizational 'frontman' it was wise indeed to stay out of the partisan fray, thusly trying to ensure that whatever the election outcome his cause didn't suffer and indeed attempting to bring people together and build bridges. It sort of mirrors the causes in many ways; if the goal is for this big ol' rich country to give a shit about people half a world away, tell them why we're *all* in the same global boat, and that sort of message is hard to reconcile with partisan politics. Just as he was saying it would be wise for the US to make friends of potential enemies, it was wise for him in his role to make friends of potential enemies. Convince them that the goals are really the same, use the language they actually speak. Talk about 'human capital', which years ago was one of the ways for instance researchers in education had to talk about kids in inner cities and bad school systems. The funders wanted to see cost-benefit analyses, so give them that as you ask for the grant money.
What puzzles me is how the Dems this time around managed to do little on either the cost-benefit analysis *or* the broader brush-stroke vision of a country commited to higher human values of tolerance and freedoms ..It was almost like all kerry could manage was trying to convince us that he should make the apprentice cut over dubya, and that didn't cut it with enough voters...

cheers all...
Old 11-04-2004, 08:12 AM   #37
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
So anyone who was against Bush is classless, ignorant, and out-of-touch-with-America?
no... mr. springsteen, mr. stipe, mrs. streisand... they are all smart, classy people. they were, however, out of touch with the masses, as were the rest of the democratic party. perhaps now that this election is over, mr. springsteen can finally speak out against the corruption of the democratic leadership in his beloved new jersey.

michael moore on the other hand... he, too, isn't ignorant. classless, yes. ignorant, no. he knows exactly what he's doing.

yet, as a big pearl jam fan, it is eddie vedder whom i am the most disapointed in after he stabbed ralph nader in the back to hop on the michael moore kool-aid bandwagon.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:16 AM   #38
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:26 PM
I agree with the title of this post. I think Bush winning is a good thing for Bono. First of all, Bush already knows Bono and has had dealings with him, and Bono has already made inroads with him. Bush is not against helping Africa.

I do believe Bono is wise and mature and shut up. Everyone else should take an example from him, and people like him if they EVER want to get whatever it is that they want. Bono builds bridges. He doesn't burn them. You can't lead a world and purposefully push people away.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #39
The Fly

It certainly served Bono well to make prank calls to Bush Sr. on the Zoo TV tour and come out and support Clinton quite openly during that time period.

Point is he does what serves him as an artist and diplomat, as does Bush as does anyone in the public eye. There is little point in equating Bush's agenda with Bono's or vice versa.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:13 AM   #40
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Bono, how I love Bono, how I've missed talking about Bono.

Anyway, Bono will continue no matter who was president, and the point is, so should every American. And COME together! Stop insulting, Democrats...come together.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 11:26 PM
I don't think it would make a difference either way if Bush or Kerry won, the fact is, as you can't make money off of something, no one will care about it
Old 11-04-2004, 01:22 PM   #42
The Fly

I find it amazing that every single time someone who disagrees with them talks about Springsteen or Stipe or whoever, they describe them as whiny or loudmouthed. Because they were a public figure and outspokenly pledged their support, backing it up with reasons? God forbid.

Lord knows Bill O'Reilly doesn't do that, right? He's louder than Springsteen or Stipe, and he doesn't even use a stage mic. But he doesn't drive me to call him names just because I disagree with his position.

Explain, someone?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:29 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

To an extent, it infuriates me that Bono is so civil to Bush, given that he has done very little in terms of helping Africa, but then I have admiration for him too. He is smart enough to realise that mouthing of about politicians and regimes a la Chris Martin gets you nowhere in life. He's a smart guy, and he puts the interest of his cause before his personal beliefs, whatever they may be. That takes alot.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

I never said down with free speech. I never said they shouldn't have the right to do what they did. EVERYONE completelty misunderstands me when I try to make that point. I'm saying, while it's fine to practice free speech, if you're loud and annoying you'll get nowhere, so it's just a waste. They didn't help their cause at all because they approached it in the wrong way. All they did was alienate fans and further annoy people who aren't fans. They also pushed alot of people AWAY from their cause. It's just like Michael Moore with his film. After seeingg in alot of Kerry supporters turned to vote for Bush instead!! He helped defeat the very cause he was fighting for by handling it the wrong way.

I think if Springsteen and Stipe wanted Bush out they should have communicated it a little better and more people would have listened.
They got up, played music, and said they don't like Bush's policies. Yeah sounds annoying to me.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:47 PM   #45
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

no... mr. springsteen, mr. stipe, mrs. streisand... they are all smart, classy people. they were, however, out of touch with the masses, as were the rest of the democratic party. perhaps now that this election is over, mr. springsteen can finally speak out against the corruption of the democratic leadership in his beloved new jersey.

You could say MLK was out of touch with the masses as well. Now I'm not comparing them as people, but I'm asking what is wrong with speaking up for the minority?

Hasn't the leadership already been replaced now since we've had an election, maybe now you should get over it. So he chose a larger fight? Are you going to dismiss Bono for speaking about Africa but not the drug problem in Ireland?

Tags
bono