Bush will help Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree wigh GOP_Catholic.. if the churches (and other religious institutions) get back to basics with their people on how to live life, encouraging early marriage, etc, i think this is one of the major things that needs to be done to help the process along, alongside drugs from north america

GOP_Catholic said:

The whole planet knows by now how to avoid AIDS.

You honestly know nothing about what's going on in Africa. You may know about AIDS because you were fortunate enough to grow up in a country that provided education...hello that took money.

Also you fail to mention that something like 50% of girls are raped by age 14. Children are being born with the disease left and right...I guess you are going to tell them abstinence will save their life?

The world's not black and white, open your eyes and see the gray. More important open your heart. Jesus said to give to the least of your brothers.

Education in a large part of Africa is in the hands of the church where it continues to voice their unproductive abstinence mantra and has no problems spreading lies about the AIDS virus passing through the condom.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The world's not black and white, open your eyes and see the gray. More important open your heart. Jesus said to give to the least of your brothers.

This is where I get so angry about the lack of support. America is supposedly such a Christian country with high moral values. Yet so few have really opened their heart to help bring Justice for Africa. Jesus preaches love and compassion. Jesus champions the poor and needy. Why are so many Christians seemingly so blind to this?

GOP_Catholic and bcrt2000: Please take the time to read the http://www.data.org/ website. Bono and the other founders of DATA have spent a few years preparing to answer all arguments that you have to not help. Ultimately you will find taht there is no good reason to walk away from this without assisting. Please check it out.

Then click on my signature and sign!

Jamila said:
BostonAnne, that's why it's up to us to bring the message of the AIDS pandemic in Africa to our neighbors, our schoole, our co-workers, our places of worship, etc. - to help the American people understand this pandemic and why it is important for us to care about it.:up:

This what Bono is hoping that we would do - help him spread the message of The ONE Campaign and help ensure FULL FUNDING of the Global AIDS programs (including the Millenium Challenge Account) that Bush and Congress agreed to. :wink:

When you hear Bono speaking about the AIDS pandemic in Africa, this is ALL he talks about.

AN AMERICAN PRAYER....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

I know, I'm just trying to point out that perhaps Bush would do more if people were louder. I don't mean to get all negative - I just want people to do something today. I want lives saved TODAY. This process is taking way to long.

I just don't know what to say to people like GOP_Catholic that can easily dismiss the deaths of so many people every day as though they deserve it or something. It is impossible to compare our spoiled lives to the lives of those that live in poverty. How do you get through? How can any Christian say that another human deserves to live in poverty, starvation and disease? How will God judge those that are missing the teachings of Jesus?

"History will judge us on how we respond to the AIDS emergency in Africa...whether we stood around with watering cans and watched while a whole continent burst into flames... or not" -Bono

BostonAnne - you are NOT negative. You are ONE of the few POSITIVE voices (like stars, BonoVoxSupastar,etc) in FYM. :wink:

Ultimately I have come to believe throught the last few months being a part time poster in FYM, that the overly conservative and reactionary opinions expressed in this forum IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE of the majority of Interferencers.:ohmy:

I say this because even our own presidential poll showed the overwhelming majority of us who participated in the poll were voting for Kerry - though by the majority of the posts here you wouldn't have thought so.

So that leads me to believe that the people who continually (ad naseum sometimes) post their viciously insensitive comments in FYM are never going to be persuaded to constructively rethink their prejudiced viewpoints and, quite honestly, I am too busy trying to help make our world a better place (especially for the people in Africa that so many here are being way too judgmental of), that I don't even care to try to debate them.

Their opinions, quite honestly, would probably make Bono shudder with disappointment and anger. :tsk:

But they are entitled to their completely misinformed viewpoints and I wouldn't let anything said here in FYM to discourage you, BostonAnne or stars or BonoVoxSupastar or anyone else that supports the Global AIdS and anti-poverty movement from continuing to support these movements.

There are millions of people who are desparately poor and clinging to life who need your positive energy.:hug:

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE....and THANK YOU, BONO. :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Jamila

I've begun to see a trend of judgmental posts regarding those members you approve of and those who you deem "reactionary" or "insensitive".

Let's stick to the issues, ok?

Jamila said:
There are millions of people who are desparately poor and clinging to life who need your positive energy.:hug:

KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE....and THANK YOU, BONO. :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Thanks for the encouragement Jamila. :hug:

nbc - you want Jamila to stay on the issue, yet you posted in this thread and did not discuss the issue at all.

BostonAnne said:

Thanks for the encouragement Jamila. :hug:

nbc - you want Jamila to stay on the issue, yet you posted in this thread and did not discuss the issue at all.

It was going across more than one thread. I just happened to pick this one. Sorry.

I think there are a lot of great posters here, even if I don't agree with them all. Immature to say otherwise.

Maybe Bono will help BUSH!:| That's my sincere hope. Help direct him to do the right things and be charitable and help the U.S. be noble.

Maybe I can help BONO to help Bush.:scratch:

Last edited:
BostonAnne said:

Yes! Start by signing up for action at data.org! :) :up:

Well, I signed up for something because I get their e-mails, but that's all.

I would LOVE to help Bono help BUSH help the world, really.

My husband and I yesterday decided that Bono has it right about America's role in the world and what we can do for the world, what we should do, and how good it will make us look, and how responsible it is...and my fear is that Bush won't do it. So, I am more motivated to help people help him do it, lol.

nbcrusader said:

It was going across more than one thread. I just happened to pick this one. Sorry.

I try very hard to be an open-minded person and to understand everyone's point of view - or respect theirs when they differ - but this is the topic that I feel very intolerant about. I can't understand why people don't see the emergency!

U2Traveller said:

Well, I signed up for something because I get their e-mails, but that's all.

I would LOVE to help Bono help BUSH help the world, really.

My husband and I yesterday decided that Bono has it right about America's role in the world and what we can do for the world, what we should do, and how good it will make us look, and how responsible it is...and my fear is that Bush won't do it. So, I am more motivated to help people help him do it, lol.

:up: I feel the same way. Data.org offers advise and tools to help bring awareness to people and get signatures to send to Bush.

http://www.data.org/action/actionkit/

BostonAnne said:

:up: I feel the same way. Data.org offers advise and tools to help bring awareness to people and get signatures to send to Bush.

http://www.data.org/action/actionkit/

Cool. I just may get more involved in it. I have felt like getting more involved for quite a while. This election just made it more acute. I also feel like getting more involved in politics, foreign policy, and what happens in this world.

I want to be able to truly be HEARD by Bush.

I'm reading the U2 interview in the Sunday Times and thought of this thread:

Would you believe Bono moves on to say how impressed he is with Condoleezza Rice? "I have to say George Bush really did deliver on his promise to getting more help for Aids in Africa. I was told it would be unachievable, but it was not. And I have to say I found him very funny. There I am, sitting in his car next to him in his motorcade, chatting and thinking I could be arguing for the rest of my life with him on lots of subjects. So I just looked at the most powerful man in the free world as he waved at the crowd, and I said, 'So you are pretty popular round here?' and he goes, 'It wasn't always so. See, when I first came here, people used to wave at me with one finger.'"

Full article link
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-1334305_4,00.html

I think that if Bono didn't believe that Bush hasn't helped he would have either not said anything or said something to challange Bush.

I just hope that the President will put pressure on the Republicans in the House and the Senate who are interfering with increased levels of funding for Global AIDS programs and the Millenium Challenge Account, if he (Bush) REALLY is committed to full funding of Global Aids and anti-poverty programs like he says he is.:ohmy:

Which Republicans are standing in the way ? Let's name Sens. Mitch McConnell(R-Ky) for starters and Representative Jim Nussbaum (R- NE) for starters. There are a bunch more.

We must separate what Bono is going to say to ensure some funding (even if it is slashed from what is proposed) of Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs and what he will say / think in private.

They are not always the same. :|

CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE.

AMEN, BONO....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;) :hug:

I agree, it was smart of Bono not to take sides. Those of us who opposed Bush had our reasons. For American voters taking sides, whichever one we took, was a moral obligation. When I went to mass the Sunday before the Election there was a blurb in our church bulletin to be good citizens and vote. It didn't tell us who to vote for; it simply told us to vote. We might argue about God's will and this sort of thing, but we'll agree that being Jack Milquetoast and not voting was not God's will for anyone.

BostonAnne said:

I try very hard to be an open-minded person and to understand everyone's point of view - or respect theirs when they differ - but this is the topic that I feel very intolerant about. I can't understand why people don't see the emergency!

If the amount of people that dissapear and die DAILY in Africa was happening here in the States or in Europe there is NO DOUBT IN MY MIND that it would be nipped in the bud promptly. We have the medication to prevent transmission to unborn children that have AIDS infected mothers and to treat AIDS into a maneageable chronic condition.

They aren't getting these medications for simple reasons of thier own misfortune at being born in the wrong geographic location. If our governments really saw Africans as equals they would not be turning thier backs and basically letting a whole country go up in flames.

We deny to them what we demand for ourselves. The right to access to health care. The right to not have to die like an animal, being piled up three to a bed. My God, just the right to LIVE.

Please check out www.data.org and www.stopglobalaids.org if you haven't already yet to learn about the many facets of this problem: AIDS, poverty, debt burdens, etc...

I fully support the efforts to ease the suffering of AIDS victims in Africa. I also have very little understanding of why anyone would not be behind this.

However, something continuously strikes me when I read these threads. People here constantly rag on the politicians or ask the masses to write to the politicians or try to influence them, etc.

I am wondering, what percentage of the American population is actually behind this? And I mean, are they willing for their tax money to be sent to Africa? Are they willing? (This applies to the rest of the 1st world, btw). Because I just don't believe that if 95% of the population strongly supported this, the politicians would be waffling. This leads me to believe that the support from the public is in fact a lot lower and less passionate than we would believe.

Are we living in a time where the middle class complacency is dictating policy?

I hope I'm wrong.

anitram said:
I fully support the efforts to ease the suffering of AIDS victims in Africa. I also have very little understanding of why anyone would not be behind this.

However, something continuously strikes me when I read these threads. People here constantly rag on the politicians or ask the masses to write to the politicians or try to influence them, etc.

I am wondering, what percentage of the American population is actually behind this? And I mean, are they willing for their tax money to be sent to Africa? Are they willing? (This applies to the rest of the 1st world, btw). Because I just don't believe that if 95% of the population strongly supported this, the politicians would be waffling. This leads me to believe that the support from the public is in fact a lot lower and less passionate than we would believe.

Are we living in a time where the middle class complacency is dictating policy?

I hope I'm wrong.

That's what I've been talking & ranting about lately. :blahblah: :rant: I read in an Economy magazine that 65% of our leaders (America specifically) are supportive, but only 18% of the population is willing. I really believe that Bush is in support, but the public is being pretty lame. You can see it here on these boards. The same 20% of the people talk passionately and can't understand why the other 80% are indifferent. 10% speak volumes about how Africa and other poor countries are getting what they deserve or that we need to take care of our problems first.

I believe the politicians are ready and willing to lend a hand. It's the people that need to speak now. Are they willing? Too many people are only out for themselves.

I would be nice if someone like Bush would push America to see the light. While he does support the issue, he is not making much effort to get public support.

The reason why so few Americans may be behind funding Global AIDS and anti-poverty programs in the developing world is that NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT IT!

You can't find adequate coverage of the AIDS pandemic on TV (even CNN), the newspapers and mags in the USA hardly ever mention it, so how are Americans going to feel an issue that the U.S. media is trying hard to ignore?

By the power of ONE - talking about it at your place of worship, with your co-workers, in your schools, etc.

That is why The ONE Campaign is so important - it takes the issue of the AIDS pandemic in Africa TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE and it is proving VERY SUCCESSFUL. :up:

When you take part in a ONE Campaign event and talk to people about the scope of the problem and that WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE, the American people DO RESPOND POSITIVELY!

So, BostonAnne, I would suggest that if you are not acxtively participating in The ONE Campaign yet - please contact DATA and get started!

You will be happily amazed at the overwhelming positive response. :hug:

If I can be successful down here in Texas, I know that you can do it in the Northeast.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO.:angel:

I'd be interested to see statistics to if there are any on public support
I posted this on another thread but it came out of think tank meeting a friend was at in the States

"I just came from a think tank meeting with top notch political analysts and advisors who informed me that our elected officials see us (activists) as having unrealistic goals; and that we have no real understanding of the amount of time involved in getting legislature passed through the Senate and the House. Also, they said that, while our recent endeavors have gotten us much media attention; the media is focusing on our tactics and not on the issues behind these tactics. They advised that if we want to win this "war" we need to get the support of middle America and that they do not see any real evidence that we have achieved this"

Interesting I know the interest in Canada through efforts like the Point Seven Pledge is not what it really should be at this time,

so anybody with fresh ideas on how to dramatize this I'd love to hear em

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Bush hasn't done shit so far for Africa. Funding has come up for vote already once and not even one of Bush's party voted for it. He must pushing them hard...:|
On u2.com today, I believe I read that Bush gave $15 million away for five years to combat HIV and AIDS.

Macfistowannabe said:
On u2.com today, I believe I read that Bush gave $15 million away for five years to combat HIV and AIDS.

$15 million? Do you mean $15 billion? I can't find what you are talking about on u2.com....

If it's $15 million, I'm going to fly to Washington and do a big old turd right on the White House front lawn. If it's $15 billion, Bush is a f*cking hero (yes, I did just say that)....

Back
Top Bottom