Bush WH "holiday" cards angers Christians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]'Holiday' Cards Ring Hollow for Some on Bushes' List

By Alan Cooperman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 7, 2005; A01

What's missing from the White House Christmas card? Christmas.

This month, as in every December since he took office, President Bush sent out cards with a generic end-of-the-year message, wishing 1.4 million of his close friends and supporters a happy "holiday season."

Many people are thrilled to get a White House Christmas card, no matter what the greeting inside. But some conservative Christians are reacting as if Bush stuck coal in their stockings.

"This clearly demonstrates that the Bush administration has suffered a loss of will and that they have capitulated to the worst elements in our culture," said William A. Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights.

Bush "claims to be a born-again, evangelical Christian. But he sure doesn't act like one," said Joseph Farah, editor of the conservative Web site WorldNetDaily.com. "I threw out my White House card as soon as I got it."

Religious conservatives are miffed because they have been pressuring stores to advertise Christmas sales rather than "holiday specials" and urging schools to let students out for Christmas vacation rather than for "winter break." They celebrated when House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) insisted that the sparkling spectacle on the Capitol lawn should be called the Capitol Christmas Tree, not a holiday spruce.

Then along comes a generic season's greeting from the White House, paid for by the Republican National Committee. The cover art is also secular, if not humanist: It shows the presidential pets -- two dogs and a cat -- frolicking on a snowy White House lawn.

"Certainly President and Mrs. Bush, because of their faith, celebrate Christmas," said Susan Whitson, Laura Bush's press secretary. "Their cards in recent years have included best wishes for a holiday season, rather than Christmas wishes, because they are sent to people of all faiths."

That is the same rationale offered by major retailers for generic holiday catalogues, and it is accepted by groups such as the National Council of Churches. "I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards," said the council's general secretary, the Rev. Bob Edgar, a former Democratic congressman.

But the White House's explanation does not satisfy the groups -- which have grown in number in recent years -- that believe there is, in the words of the Heritage Foundation, a "war on Christmas" involving an "ever-stronger push toward a neutered 'holiday' season so that non-Christians won't be even the slightest bit offended."

One of the generals on the pro-Christmas side is Tim Wildmon, president of the American Family Association in Tupelo, Miss. "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether this is sinister -- it's the purging of Christ from Christmas -- or whether it's just political correctness run amok," he said. "I think in the case of the White House, it's just political correctness."

Wildmon does not give retailers the same benefit of the doubt. This year, he has called for a consumer boycott of Target stores because the chain issued a holiday advertising circular that did not mention Christmas. Last year, he aimed a similar boycott at Macy's Inc., which averted a repeat this December by proclaiming "Merry Christmas" in its advertising and in-store displays.

"It bothers me that the White House card leaves off any reference to Jesus, while we've got Ramadan celebrations in the White House," Wildmon said. "What's going on there?"

At the Catholic League, Donohue had just announced a boycott of the Lands' End catalogue when he received his White House holiday card. True, he said, the Bushes included a verse from Psalm 28, but Psalms are in the Old Testament and do not mention Jesus' birth.

"They'd better address this, because they're no better than the retailers who have lost the will to say 'Merry Christmas,' " he said.

Donohue said that Wal-Mart, facing a threatened boycott, added a Christmas page to its Web site and fired a customer relations employee who wrote a letter linking Christmas to "Siberian shamanism." He was not mollified by a letter from Lands' End saying it "adopted the 'holiday' terminology as a way to comply with one of the basic freedoms granted to all Americans: freedom of religion."

"Ninety-six percent of Americans celebrate Christmas," Donohue said. "Spare me the diversity lecture."

Diversity has been a hallmark of White House greeting cards for some time, according to Mary Evans Seeley of Tampa, Fla., author of "Season's Greetings From the White House." The last presidential Christmas card that mentioned Christmas was in 1992. It was sent by George H.W. and Barbara Bush, parents of the current president.

Seeley said the first president to send out true Christmas cards, as opposed to signed photographs or handwritten letters, was Franklin D. Roosevelt. "Merry Christmas From the President and Mrs. Roosevelt," said his first annual card, in 1933.

Like many modern touches, the generic New Year's card was introduced to the White House by John and Jacqueline Kennedy. In 1962, they had Hallmark print 2,000 cards, of which 1,800 cards said "The President and Mrs. Kennedy Wish You a Blessed Christmas" and 200 said "With Best Wishes for a Happy New Year."

Lyndon and Lady Bird Johnson continued that tradition for a couple of years, but it required keeping track of Christian and non-Christian recipients. Beginning in 1966, they wished everyone a "Joyous Christmas," and no president has attempted the two-card trick since.

Seeley dates the politicization of the White House Christmas card to Richard M. Nixon, who increased the number of recipients tenfold, to 40,000, in his first year. The numbers since have snowballed, hitting 125,000 under Jimmy Carter, topping 400,000 under Bill Clinton and rising to more than a million under the current Bushes, with each president's political party paying the bill.

The wording, meanwhile, has often flip-flopped. Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter put "Merry Christmas" in their 1977 card and then switched to "Holiday Season" for the next three years. Ronald and Nancy Reagan, similarly, began with a "Joyous Christmas" in 1981 and 1982 but doled out generic holiday wishes from 1983 to 1988. The elder President Bush stayed in the "Merry Christmas" spirit all four years, and the Clintons opted for inclusive greetings for all of their eight years.

The current Bush has straddled the divide, offering generic greetings along with an Old Testament verse. To some religious conservatives, that makes all the difference.

"There's a verse from Scripture in it. I don't mind that at all, as long as we don't try to pretend we're not a nation under God," said the Rev. Jerry Falwell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/06/AR2005120601900_pf.html

[/q]

If the cards were "Christmas Cards" we'd get a Theocracy Watch thread.

I guess we must have it pretty damn good in this country when these are the "issues" we face each day.

:rolleyes:

nbcrusader said:

I guess we must have it pretty damn good in this country when these are the "issues" we face each day.

yup. the defense of a secular democracy against the totalitarian instincts embedded in all theocracies must be consistently maintained. if some toes are stepped on in the process while defending the inclusive nature of our government, so be it.

i *loved* this quote:

[q]"I think it's more important to put Christ back into our war planning than into our Christmas cards," said the council's general secretary, the Rev. Bob Edgar, a former Democratic congressman.
[/q]

because Jesus doesn't need body armor. or a post-war plan.

MumblingBono said:
Really, though, can anyone get behind "Happy Holidays"?

i can.

i think it's inclusive, respectful, and allows the receiver to put their own meaning into the phrase.

for the life of me, i can't imagine what problem anyone has with "happy holidays."

if you have the time for separate Christmas and Hanakkuh cards, go right ahead. i also don't have a problem if stores want to just say "merry christmas." it would be nice if they'd say "happy hanakkuah" as well. but they are privately owned, so they can do what they want.

the government should be inclusive.

nbcrusader said:

Problem is, though, that these are NOT the real issues that we face as a nation, which does in fact have serious problems of violence and poverty. They seem to have surfaced for about a month after Katrina and gone back out with the tide....

PS Happy Holidays everyone :D

At the Catholic League, Donohue had just announced a boycott of the Lands' End catalogue when he received his White House holiday card. True, he said, the Bushes included a verse from Psalm 28, but Psalms are in the Old Testament and do not mention Jesus' birth.

"They'd better address this, because they're no better than the retailers who have lost the will to say 'Merry Christmas,' " he said.

This was my personal favorite. :eyebrow: Could someone PLEASE tell me when we became a country full of damn whiners??? :rant: :angry:

The problem with "Happy Holidays" is it sucks balls, it's fucking idiotic. It represents the worst of what we've become as a society - fractured, fearful, homogenized, consumeristic, tepid and generic.

I'll go on record here as being one of the silent milllions who quietly seethe at the use of "Happy Holidays".

Flame away.

MumblingBono said:
The problem with "Happy Holidays" is it sucks balls, it's fucking idiotic. It represents the worst of what we've become as a society - fractured, fearful, homogenized, consumeristic, tepid and generic.

I'll go on record here as being one of the silent milllions who quietly seethe at the use of "Happy Holidays".

Flame away.

no wait:ohmy: I was agreeing with you:yes:

"sucks balls" isn't Christmas talk:angry:

:wink:

MumblingBono said:

Flame away.

Okaaayyy.... then I wish you Unhappy Holidays!

There ya go! :D

MumblingBono said:

Flame away.

:up: well said

here is a card for all the complainers

MERRY

CHRISTMAS

iraqhumiliate.jpg

From the Bush / Cheneys

Bringing Christian Values to the Evil-Doers

MumblingBono said:

Flame away.

Thank you for the invitation.

At some point in time the millions of Christians in this country are going to have to realize that:

1. There are other religions in this country
2. Some of these aformentioned religions also have holidays in December
3. Some of these aforementioned religions have holidays in the same week as your beloved birth of Jesus.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as the next non-Christian, but it is naive and fucking retarded to think that is the only holiday.

By your rationale, if there was a Jewish President in the White House, he or she would be correct to send out only Channukah cards to the millions of people these things go to?

I would relish that day.

Just to put this into persepctive a bit, every year at the same time my office building decorates the lobby. This is a huge building with many tenants of all races, sexes, and religions. They spend thousands of dollars for animated, musical creatures who sing and dance around brightly lit trees. As I walk into work every day I am serenaded by "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "Silent Night."

So every year, I have to ask the 'concierge' of this building, "Where is the Menorah?" It has gotten to the point that I am now saying "Where's the fucking menorah?" And every year after I (or someone else) complain, the menorah goes up.

To take it a step further, and for those that do not know, Channukah almost always occurs before Christmas in December. So last year when I had to ask where the menorah was, the 'concierge' got into an argument with me because she said, "It isn't even Channukah yet." At whcih point I had to reply, sorry yell at her, "Is it Christmas yet?"

So don't get me wrong, the birth of Jesus has about as much relevance in my life as any other Tuesday, but the ignorance of some Christians proves that they do not deserve the right to celebrate their holiday as they want if others cannot.

Irvine511 said:
yup. the defense of a secular democracy against the totalitarian instincts embedded in all theocracies must be consistently maintained. if some toes are stepped on in the process while defending the inclusive nature of our government, so be it.

I agree. Lets invade Iran.

ouizy said:

Thank you for the invitation.

At some point in time the millions of Christians in this country are going to have to realize that:

1. There are other religions in this country
2. Some of these aformentioned religions also have holidays in December
3. Some of these aforementioned religions have holidays in the same week as your beloved birth of Jesus.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as the next non-Christian, but it is naive and fucking retarded to think that is the only holiday.

By your rationale, if there was a Jewish President in the White House, he or she would be correct to send out only Channukah cards to the millions of people these things go to?

I would relish that day.

Just to put this into persepctive a bit, every year at the same time my office building decorates the lobby. This is a huge building with many tenants of all races, sexes, and religions. They spend thousands of dollars for animated, musical creatures who sing and dance around brightly lit trees. As I walk into work every day I am serenaded by "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "Silent Night."

So every year, I have to ask the 'concierge' of this building, "Where is the Menorah?" It has gotten to the point that I am now saying "Where's the fucking menorah?" And every year after I (or someone else) complain, the menorah goes up.

To take it a step further, and for those that do not know, Channukah almost always occurs before Christmas in December. So last year when I had to ask where the menorah was, the 'concierge' got into an argument with me because she said, "It isn't even Channukah yet." At whcih point I had to reply, sorry yell at her, "Is it Christmas yet?"

So don't get me wrong, the birth of Jesus has about as much relevance in my life as any other Tuesday, but the ignorance of some Christians proves that they do not deserve the right to celebrate their holiday as they want if others cannot.

Hey Ouizy....Merry Christmas!

:wink:

Not for one second have I thought Christmas is the only holiday out there....I'm not even religious or even friggen care who celebrates what...but for me its Christmas. People I know who celebrate Channukah I wish a Happy Channukah etc.

I am just annoyed with society overall, like Mumbling Bono said everything has become generic and the people fearful of offending others.

the day of the secular / liberal Jew is over

"Don't be stupid, be a smarty ... come and join the GOP/Jesus party!"

Dismantled said:
Not for one second have I thought Christmas is the only holiday out there....I'm not even religious or even friggen care who celebrates what...but for me its Christmas. People I know who celebrate Channukah I wish a Happy Channukah etc.

I am just annoyed with society overall, like Mumbling Bono said everything has become generic and the people fearful of offending others.

I agree. The PCing of our society has stagnated expression of cultural and religous diversity.

Dismantled said:

okay, but let's think about this -- to people i know are christian, i say "merry christmas." to the people i know are jewish i say "happy channukah." to the people i know who are agnostic or atheist or i have no idea what religion or not-religion they are, i usually say "enjoy the hoildays."

but i can do that since i'm a private individual.

a workplace, a store, the White House -- these are entities that deal with thousands upon thousands of people, and they can't possibly know what religion everyone is. so, instead of excluding people by being specific, they go for a more inclusive phrase like "happy holidays" that spreads warmth and good cheer to everyone. or, in some places, like where i work, they have both a massive christmas tree as well as a menorah (this is media, there are many jews ;)) my company has the time and money to do that, so they do.

i fail to see what the problem is. i really do.

Irvine511 said:

okay, but let's think about this -- to people i know are christian, i say "merry christmas." to the people i know are jewish i say "happy channukah." to the people i know who are agnostic or atheist or i have no idea what religion or not-religion they are, i usually say "enjoy the hoildays."

but i can do that since i'm a private individual.

a workplace, a store, the White House -- these are entities that deal with thousands upon thousands of people, and they can't possibly know what religion everyone is. so, instead of excluding people by being specific, they go for a more inclusive phrase like "happy holidays" that spreads warmth and good cheer to everyone. or, in some places, like where i work, they have both a massive christmas tree as well as a menorah (this is media, there are many jews ;)) my company has the time and money to do that, so they do.

i fail to see what the problem is. i really do.

yeah I agree with you Irvine, having both is great:up: Its just the nuts trying to wipe Christmas off the face of the Earth that bug me.

If Bush is an honest person

why should he have to hide who he is
or what he believes

will he deny thrice before the cock crows?

Dismantled said:

yeah I agree with you Irvine, having both is great:up: Its just the nuts trying to wipe Christmas off the face of the Earth that bug me.

i love christmas! i really, really do! i just want everyone to be happy.

:)

Back
Top Bottom