Bush WH "holiday" cards angers Christians

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

i love christmas! i really, really do! i just want everyone to be happy.

:)

awww:hug::love:

*warm fuzzies

Merry Christmas!
Happy Channunkah!
Happy Kwanza!
Feliz Navidad!
Happy Festivus!:wink:

Dismantled said:
the people fearful of offending others.

Which begs the question, how can it possibly be offensive to wish someone a Merry Christmas even if they don't celebrate it? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but chances are there is no malice behind saying it. How some people can react to Merry Christmas like they've just been told to fuck off is beyond me.

Hey Randhail, Happy Channukah.

How do you like that? Feels good, right? Now have it said to you about 100 times in December. Still feel good, or is it a bit weird?

randhail said:

Which begs the question, how can it possibly be offensive to wish someone a Merry Christmas even if they don't celebrate it? Maybe I'm just ignorant, but chances are there is no malice behind saying it. How some people can react to Merry Christmas like they've just been told to fuck off is beyond me.

I know:tsk: if someone wishes me Happy Kwanza I wouldn't get all ticked a tell them to fuck off....I would smile and say "you too" or something.....some people like to suck every inch of love and happiness out of everything just to make it miserable for others.

ouizy said:

How do you like that? Feels good, right? Now have it said to you about 100 times in December. Still feel good, or is it a bit weird?

omg:giggle: we both had the same thought at the same time.

ouizy said:

Sticks and stones...

Since I haven't had that happen, I can't answer you, but I'd like to think that the words wouldn't bother me. Afterall, it is the spirit of the words that give them meaning.

Dismantled said:
I know:tsk: if someone wishes me Happy Kwanza I wouldn't get all ticked a tell them to fuck off....I would smile and say "you too" or something.....some people like to suck every inch of love and happiness out of everything just to make it miserable for others.

:up:

I grew up next to a Jewish family and I was never offended by their Hanukkah decorations or Hanukkah greetings.

It's been my experience through out the years that often times the people pushing the hardest for diversity are the same people who come down the hardest on public expression of religious belief, whether it be Christian or otherwise.

Happy Holidays is boring. Show some backbone and let other people know what you BELIEVE. We're scared to death of that in our society.

Dismantled said:

Good point. I am mostly to the left on most issues. However, I think people should be be able to celebrate a holiday the way they want to and without worring about offending someone. Merry Christmas everyone.:wave:

nbcrusader said:

I guess we must have it pretty damn good in this country when these are the "issues" we face each day.

:rolleyes:

We should all take a good hard look at the people making issues out of things like this while there are literally hundreds if not thousands of more pertinent issues to the national debate.

It's the same people who were responsible for such a large part of the national election debate being centered around such high priority issues as gay marriage.

I mean, forget healthcare, jobs and foreign policy and all the rest.
"Manger scenes" and "Adam and Steve" that's where it's at.

randhail said:

Sticks and stones...

Since I haven't had that happen, I can't answer you, but I'd like to think that the words wouldn't bother me. Afterall, it is the spirit of the words that give them meaning.

and we know us Christians

have always been kind -hearted to ouizy
and his people (the Jews) even though
16139.jpg

they killed OUR LORD AND SAVIOR
JESUS CHRIST!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

MaxFisher said:

That sounds like the ACLU.

Might very well be and they aren't the only ones.

The point is all of these groups are wrong, not just the ones we tend to agree more or less with.

Personally, you could take the ACLU and the right wing fundies and flush them for all I care.

deep said:

and we know us Christians

have always been kind -hearted to ouizy
and his people (the Jews) even though
16139.jpg

they killed OUR LORD AND SAVIOR
JESUS CHRIST!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In college, a group of my friends used to have a party. At that party we all used to get drunk to the point of blindness as we were all going home for the holidays soon after.

Every year a fight would break out and chanting would start. Half the room would scream, "Jesus was a Jew!!!" The other half of the room would scream, "The Jews killed Jesus!!!"

It was a perfect equilibrium and at that moment in time, the world was right and true...

MaxFisher said:
Happy Holidays is boring. Show some backbone and let other people know what you BELIEVE. We're scared to death of that in our society.

what if you don't believe in any religious bru-ha-ha whatsoever and you are simply looking forward to having a few days off?

hence, HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

What typical bullshit.

If you don't want to wish someone a Merry Christmas, don't.

But stop whining about "Theocracy" or "non-inclusive" if someone does say Merry Christmas.

nbcrusader said:
What typical bullshit.

But stop whining about "Theocracy" or "non-inclusive" if someone does say Merry Christmas.

well, Bush clearly didn't want to wish someone a Merry Christmas, so he didn't. yet, we hear the outrage from several voices on the religiously conservative right.

they should take your advice, i think, and stop whining about being discriminated against if someone chooses not to say "merry christmas" because they'd rather be inclusive and, where taxpayer-supported governmental insitutions are involved, to avoid theocratic tendencies where the assumption is that if one is a citizen of a particular country then one is, by definition, of a particular religion.

i wonder ... will GW Bush now join Bill O'Reilly's "christmas hate list"? i do hope to see Mr. O'Reilly with exercise his considerable reserves of outrage in our president's direction.

nbcrusader said:
What typical bullshit.

If I know the person is Christian I tell them Merry Christmas, if I know they are Jewish, I tell them Happy Channukah...if I don't know I tell them Happy Holidays.

Now if I had a list of people I'm sending cards to, especially one that's 1.4 million long, I'm not going to buy everyone a separate card...so I will say Happy Holidays!

I don't see how that's bullshit, I don't see how that's not having a backbone, or any of this other shit I hear people whining about.

But if someone can explain why it is one of these things then I will glady listen.

Wishing someone a Happy Christmas is not some kind of evidence of a 'theocracy'.

ouizy said:
Happy Channukah everyone

:wave:

To Everyone:

Happy Channukah
Merry Christmas
Happy Kwanza
Happy Holidays.

Celebrate as you choose. I'll celebrate as I do. Enjoy December.

Last edited:
deep said:
the day of the secular / liberal Jew is over

"Don't be stupid, be a smarty ... come and join the GOP/Jesus party!"
Whenever a Jew votes Republican an eeevil neocon is born.

Honestly, since I don't know what everyone's belief systems are, I usually do say "Happy Holidays." But now since that might offend people too, I'm flat out going to ignore the holidays altogether around other people and pretend it's just another day completely.

Happy?

Melon

Back
Top Bottom