Bush WH "holiday" cards angers Christians - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MumblingBono
The problem with "Happy Holidays" is it sucks balls, it's fucking idiotic. It represents the worst of what we've become as a society - fractured, fearful, homogenized, consumeristic, tepid and generic.

I'll go on record here as being one of the silent milllions who quietly seethe at the use of "Happy Holidays".

Flame away.

well said

Old 12-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:34 PM
here is a card for all the complainers

Quote:
MERRY

CHRISTMAS

From the Bush / Cheneys

Bringing Christian Values to the Evil-Doers

Old 12-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MumblingBono
The problem with "Happy Holidays" is it sucks balls, it's fucking idiotic. It represents the worst of what we've become as a society - fractured, fearful, homogenized, consumeristic, tepid and generic.

I'll go on record here as being one of the silent milllions who quietly seethe at the use of "Happy Holidays".

Flame away.
Thank you for the invitation.

At some point in time the millions of Christians in this country are going to have to realize that:

1. There are other religions in this country
2. Some of these aformentioned religions also have holidays in December
3. Some of these aforementioned religions have holidays in the same week as your beloved birth of Jesus.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as the next non-Christian, but it is naive and fucking retarded to think that is the only holiday.

By your rationale, if there was a Jewish President in the White House, he or she would be correct to send out only Channukah cards to the millions of people these things go to?

I would relish that day.

Just to put this into persepctive a bit, every year at the same time my office building decorates the lobby. This is a huge building with many tenants of all races, sexes, and religions. They spend thousands of dollars for animated, musical creatures who sing and dance around brightly lit trees. As I walk into work every day I am serenaded by "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "Silent Night."

So every year, I have to ask the 'concierge' of this building, "Where is the Menorah?" It has gotten to the point that I am now saying "Where's the fucking menorah?" And every year after I (or someone else) complain, the menorah goes up.

To take it a step further, and for those that do not know, Channukah almost always occurs before Christmas in December. So last year when I had to ask where the menorah was, the 'concierge' got into an argument with me because she said, "It isn't even Channukah yet." At whcih point I had to reply, sorry yell at her, "Is it Christmas yet?"

So don't get me wrong, the birth of Jesus has about as much relevance in my life as any other Tuesday, but the ignorance of some Christians proves that they do not deserve the right to celebrate their holiday as they want if others cannot.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
yup. the defense of a secular democracy against the totalitarian instincts embedded in all theocracies must be consistently maintained. if some toes are stepped on in the process while defending the inclusive nature of our government, so be it.

I agree. Lets invade Iran.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 12-07-2005, 04:10 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher

I agree. Lets invade Iran.

go for it. we seem to be really good at it.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy

Thank you for the invitation.

At some point in time the millions of Christians in this country are going to have to realize that:

1. There are other religions in this country
2. Some of these aformentioned religions also have holidays in December
3. Some of these aforementioned religions have holidays in the same week as your beloved birth of Jesus.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Christmas as much as the next non-Christian, but it is naive and fucking retarded to think that is the only holiday.

By your rationale, if there was a Jewish President in the White House, he or she would be correct to send out only Channukah cards to the millions of people these things go to?

I would relish that day.

Just to put this into persepctive a bit, every year at the same time my office building decorates the lobby. This is a huge building with many tenants of all races, sexes, and religions. They spend thousands of dollars for animated, musical creatures who sing and dance around brightly lit trees. As I walk into work every day I am serenaded by "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" and "Silent Night."

So every year, I have to ask the 'concierge' of this building, "Where is the Menorah?" It has gotten to the point that I am now saying "Where's the fucking menorah?" And every year after I (or someone else) complain, the menorah goes up.

To take it a step further, and for those that do not know, Channukah almost always occurs before Christmas in December. So last year when I had to ask where the menorah was, the 'concierge' got into an argument with me because she said, "It isn't even Channukah yet." At whcih point I had to reply, sorry yell at her, "Is it Christmas yet?"

So don't get me wrong, the birth of Jesus has about as much relevance in my life as any other Tuesday, but the ignorance of some Christians proves that they do not deserve the right to celebrate their holiday as they want if others cannot.
Hey Ouizy....Merry Christmas!

Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Not for one second have I thought Christmas is the only holiday out there....I'm not even religious or even friggen care who celebrates what...but for me its Christmas. People I know who celebrate Channukah I wish a Happy Channukah etc.

I am just annoyed with society overall, like Mumbling Bono said everything has become generic and the people fearful of offending others.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

the day of the secular / liberal Jew is over

"Don't be stupid, be a smarty ... come and join the GOP/Jesus party!"
Old 12-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #25
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled
Not for one second have I thought Christmas is the only holiday out there....I'm not even religious or even friggen care who celebrates what...but for me its Christmas. People I know who celebrate Channukah I wish a Happy Channukah etc.

I am just annoyed with society overall, like Mumbling Bono said everything has become generic and the people fearful of offending others.
I agree. The PCing of our society has stagnated expression of cultural and religous diversity.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

ditto

some these people need to know their proper place
Old 12-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

okay, but let's think about this -- to people i know are christian, i say "merry christmas." to the people i know are jewish i say "happy channukah." to the people i know who are agnostic or atheist or i have no idea what religion or not-religion they are, i usually say "enjoy the hoildays."

but i can do that since i'm a private individual.

a workplace, a store, the White House -- these are entities that deal with thousands upon thousands of people, and they can't possibly know what religion everyone is. so, instead of excluding people by being specific, they go for a more inclusive phrase like "happy holidays" that spreads warmth and good cheer to everyone. or, in some places, like where i work, they have both a massive christmas tree as well as a menorah (this is media, there are many jews ) my company has the time and money to do that, so they do.

i fail to see what the problem is. i really do.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

okay, but let's think about this -- to people i know are christian, i say "merry christmas." to the people i know are jewish i say "happy channukah." to the people i know who are agnostic or atheist or i have no idea what religion or not-religion they are, i usually say "enjoy the hoildays."

but i can do that since i'm a private individual.

a workplace, a store, the White House -- these are entities that deal with thousands upon thousands of people, and they can't possibly know what religion everyone is. so, instead of excluding people by being specific, they go for a more inclusive phrase like "happy holidays" that spreads warmth and good cheer to everyone. or, in some places, like where i work, they have both a massive christmas tree as well as a menorah (this is media, there are many jews ) my company has the time and money to do that, so they do.

i fail to see what the problem is. i really do.
yeah I agree with you Irvine, having both is great Its just the nuts trying to wipe Christmas off the face of the Earth that bug me.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

If Bush is an honest person

why should he have to hide who he is
or what he believes

will he deny thrice before the cock crows?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

yeah I agree with you Irvine, having both is great Its just the nuts trying to wipe Christmas off the face of the Earth that bug me.

i love christmas! i really, really do! i just want everyone to be happy.