Bush - " We Had An Accountability Moment, The Election"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
:hmm:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/01/16/bush.iraq/index.html

In an interview with the Washington Post on Sunday, Bush was asked why no one in his administration had been held accountable for perceived missteps on Iraq policy, including being wrong about weapons of mass destruction.

"We had an accountability moment, and that's called the 2004 election," he was reported as saying.

I agree in that winning elections aren't a blank check but a leader can only lead on his own convictions. He can't borrow someone else's because he didn't win in a landslide.

As far as accountablilty, is it enough that Tenet, Ashcroft, Powell and others resigned? Or did they need to be fired?

There were a lot of calls for apologies from W before the election. People begging for apologies. Of course he made mistakes, but this was bogus political posturing; apologies benefit no one but those trying to bring him down.

They hardly resigned in shame, Tenant got a hero's medal for the job he did. Accountabilty should be layed at the feet of those who are guilty.

drhark said:

As far as accountablilty, is it enough that Tenet, Ashcroft, Powell and others resigned? Or did they need to be fired?

yes, lovely medal of freedom Tenet has hanging round his neck.

one word: RUMSFELD.

fired. head on a platter. packed in dry ice. full apology for wanting to show off his little too-cute-by-half "modern" army where he seems to think 150,000 soldiers can effectively occupy a country the size of california and populated by 25m people who have just had the bejezus bombed out of them.

the one consolation i have is that Rumsfeld is going to occupy a very special place in American history. right next to McNamara.

I'm thinking of sending George a bag of pretzels for a congrats on the second term gift.... :evil:

Diane L said:
The man thinks he has a mandate, with only 51% of the vote,

I agree he doesn't have a mandate, but he really doesn't need one with a Republican Congress. The last pres with a real mandate was Reagan, and he made use of it to pass his agenda through a Democratic Congress.

Diane L said:
and that everything he does is correct.

One would hope any leader believes what he is doing is correct. At that level, there are no spur of the moment decisions. Contrary to what many think, W has advisers, debates issues, then makes decisions. What's he supposed to do, make a decision that he knows is incorrect?

drhark said:

One would hope any leader believes what he is doing is correct. At that level, there are no spur of the moment decisions. Contrary to what many think, W has advisers, debates issues, then makes decisions. What's he supposed to do, make a decision that he knows is incorrect?

Which would be fine, if he and his advisors weren't loons.

The problem is with what he "knows." And I am worried about leaders who are too sure of themselves. Any decision at that level is never going to be perfect and I want someone smart enough to understand that and not be so damned cocksure. Bush isn't any of those. And his advisors tell him what he wants to hear.

He may not have a mandate, but I am sure very few liberals clamored for Clinton to make sure Republicans agreed with his moves after the 92 election.

BushCountry_MousePad.gif

diamond said:

and this assumes that the red areas are of equal population.

come on. more people live in NYC than in all the Great Plains states. more people live in WDC than in Wyoming.

I'm a Republican and I agree that this is jive propaganda. it's one person, one vote, not one square mile, one vote

indra said:

Which would be fine, if he and his advisors weren't loons.

There you go again, demonizing your opponent and establishing yourself on the fringe. Not a good way to have much credibility with those you're trying to convince.

You know who really did look like a loon during some of his speeches last year? Al Gore. Made me extra confident I had cast the right vote.
indra said:

The problem is with what he "knows." And I am worried about leaders who are too sure of themselves. Any decision at that level is never going to be perfect and I want someone smart enough to understand that and not be so damned cocksure. Bush isn't any of those. And his advisors tell him what he wants to hear.

Clinton seemed pretty damned cocksure about bombing that aspirin factory.

drhark said:

I'm a Republican and I agree that this is jive propaganda. it's one person, one vote

Voters in Wyoming and Vermont get 3-4 times the EC votes per person than people in Ca or Florida.

Correct, but using an EC map does not accurately reflect the closeness of the race or popular opinion.

drhark said:
Correct, but using an EC map does not accurately reflect the closeness of the race or popular opinion.

but u got love the appearance of that sexy map:wink:

db9

I want to slap everyone I see with that map shirt.
Morons.
That graphic like everything about this administration is inaccurate.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Am I missing something here?

just a joke referring to the "one man one vote" statement.

you may have laughed had I not included the inference of the exclusion of military ballots in the 2000 election

drhark said:

just a joke referring to the "one man one vote" statement.

you may have laughed had I not included the inference of the exclusion of military ballots in the 2000 election

Guess it went over my head. I was just wondering about the Chicago reference since I live there now.

Back
Top Bottom