Bush - " We Had An Accountability Moment, The Election" - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2005, 05:00 PM   #31
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by drhark
You know the running joke, dead people voting, etc.
Oh yeah. Last thing I heard that was all squashed.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I'm thinking of sending George a bag of pretzels for a congrats on the second term gift....

Old 01-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Delusional

or just an idiot.
Neither, He is your president, elected by a 51% majority of the population, the first time that has happened in 16 years, supported by A House and Senate where the Presidents party gained seats, the first time that has happened since the 1930s. Congrats to all 62,041,268 people who voted for Bush, the largest vote total ever for a President in the USA.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

yes, lovely medal of freedom Tenet has hanging round his neck.

one word: RUMSFELD.

fired. head on a platter. packed in dry ice. full apology for wanting to show off his little too-cute-by-half "modern" army where he seems to think 150,000 soldiers can effectively occupy a country the size of california and populated by 25m people who have just had the bejezus bombed out of them.

the one consolation i have is that Rumsfeld is going to occupy a very special place in American history. right next to McNamara.
Iraq is not Vietnam and Rumsfeld is not McNamara. The Iraqi people are about to have their first free election because of the hard work Rumsfeld, the US Military and US Foreign Services have done in Iraq.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:59 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by drhark

I agree he doesn't have a mandate, but he really doesn't need one with a Republican Congress. The last pres with a real mandate was Reagan, and he made use of it to pass his agenda through a Democratic Congress.

One would hope any leader believes what he is doing is correct. At that level, there are no spur of the moment decisions. Contrary to what many think, W has advisers, debates issues, then makes decisions. What's he supposed to do, make a decision that he knows is incorrect?
When Reagan was first elected, he got 50.75% of the popular vote which is less than what George Bush got in this recent election. The second time Reagan got 58.7% of the popular vote. So with Bush in between those two totals, I think you can say he has a mandate if in fact Reagan had one.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Let's see Bush has a mandate from the votes of 51% of the voting public. That's about 25% of eligible voters. Strong mandate there. 51% of the voters love him. 49% of the voters hate him and the others don't care one way or the other. Sounds like a wash to me.

(PS, Kerry also had a lot more votes than Reagan did and a lot more votes than Bush got in 2000 and NOBODY really liked Kerry.
No mandate. Just a sharply divided country.)
Old 01-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Let's see Bush has a mandate from the votes of 51% of the voting public. That's about 25% of eligible voters. Strong mandate there. 51% of the voters love him. 49% of the voters hate him and the others don't care one way or the other. Sounds like a wash to me.

(PS, Kerry also had a lot more votes than Reagan did and a lot more votes than Bush got in 2000 and NOBODY really liked Kerry.
No mandate. Just a sharply divided country.)
So what percentage would Bush have had to reach in order for it to be a "mandate"?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think perhaps politicians (all stripes) and their supporters are very quick to claim victory and mandate long before all the analyses are in.

What do you think he has a mandate for?

1. A recent poll (whether you trust it or not) show the
majority of Americans polled are not happy with the way
he is handling Iraq. Does he have a mandate for Iraq?

2. Does he have a mandate for a ban on gay marriage?
The total overhaul of the social security system? The
introduction of creationism (Forgive me--"Intelligent
Design") in our SCIENCE classes?

Or did people vote for him because they thought he was the lesser of the two evils?

Way until the dust settles before you decide he has a mandate. You'll know soon enough.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:32 PM   #39
War Child

I found this item very funny.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/ALLPOLITICS/...oll/index.html

Let me get this straight...a divided America is split on whether Bush is a divider or a uniter?

Poll: Nation split on Bush as uniter or divider
Wednesday, January 19, 2005 Posted: 4:19 PM EST (2119 GMT)

(CNN) -- On the eve of President Bush's inauguration, a poll shows the nation is split over whether he has united or divided the nation, but a majority believe his inauguration festivities should be toned down because of the war.

During the 2000 campaign, Bush promised to be a "uniter, not a divider."

Forty-nine percent of 1,007 adult Americans said in phone interviews they believe Bush is a "uniter," according to the CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll released Wednesday. Another 49 percent called him a "divider," and 2 percent had no opinion.

The results nearly match those of a poll taken in October 2004, which showed 48 percent considered Bush a "uniter" and 48 percent called him a "divider," with 4 percent having no opinion. (Full story)

Bush's inauguration was viewed by 69 percent, more than two-thirds of respondents, as a celebration by the winning presidential candidate's supporters rather than a celebration of democracy by all Americans, as 29 percent saw it. Two percent had no opinion.

And 79 percent of poll respondents said they believe the inauguration ceremony will not do much to heal political divisions in the country. Eighteen percent said it would, and 3 percent had no opinion.

Also, 54 percent said the celebration should be toned down this year, compared with other inaugurations, because the country is at war. Forty-five percent said the inauguration should be held just as in other years, and 1 percent had no opinion.

Sixty-one percent of respondents said they believe protests during the inaugural celebration would be inappropriate, regardless of whether they believed people had a right to protest. When the same question was asked in January 2001, 71 percent said protests are inappropriate.

Asked about the president's most important role, 34 percent of respondents said it should be to manage the federal government and 24 percent said it should be to provide moral leadership.

Another 20 percent said it is acting as commander in chief of the military, up from 9 percent in a poll taken eight months before the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The telephone poll was conducted Friday through Sunday. It has a 95 percent confidence rate, and the margin of error is plus or minus 3 percentage points
Old 01-19-2005, 04:49 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Quote:
2. Does he have a mandate for a ban on gay marriage?
The total overhaul of the social security system? The
introduction of creationism (Forgive me--"Intelligent
Design") in our SCIENCE classes?
Gay marriage will probably be left to the states, social security is a definite and I have heard nothing about him wanting to bring creationism into the science classroom and I doubt that anything of the sort will occur - but if it does I guarantee that I will be strongly against it.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

They are already starting to bring "Intelligent Design" into the science classrooms.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:57 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Where and when? Are you referring to the Kansas School Board controversy or the more recent Cobb County? that seemed to be more of a state matter. I demand evidence for these accusations against this administration.

I keep my eye on this issue and I havent seen this administration work actively to force intelligent design into the science classroom. Show me the evidence and I may be inclined to agree. I think that the issue itself is worked on a more local level by religious organisations and groups of "concerned parents" and it is the school boards that wind up voting on them.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:01 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I keep my eye on this issue and I havent seen this administration work actively to force intelligent design into the science classroom. Show me the evidence and I may be inclined to agree.
Yes, I think if I was a Christian Conservative right now I'd actually be quite pissed off at the failure of this administration to implement its policy platform.

I mean Ashcroft was the only decent God fearing man amongst them - then they got rid of him!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:46 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Or did people vote for him because they thought he was the lesser of the two evils?
Moral Values, the Economy, and Terrorism were the top three issues of this election. 51% of the voting population voted on these three issues that have faced this country, and it turns out, Bush's campaign was better than expected. I honestly didn't expect his re-election. Kerry couldn't prove his case on Iraq as well as expected, and the economy was his most successful issue. A little funny how taxation hardly mattered this time around. In 1776, it played a major role in setting off the Revolutionary War, now it's a minor issue.

KERRY / BUSH

Moral Values (22%) 18% / 80%

Economy/Jobs (20%) 80% / 18%

Terrorism (19%) 14% / 86%

Iraq (15%) 73% / 26%

Health Care (8%) 77% / 23%

Taxes (5%) 43% / 57%

Education (4%) 73% / 26%

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in653931.shtml

From CBS News, and surprise, it's a liberal article.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:13 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Where and when? Are you referring to the Kansas School Board controversy or the more recent Cobb County? that seemed to be more of a state matter. I demand evidence for these accusations against this administration.

I keep my eye on this issue and I havent seen this administration work actively to force intelligent design into the science classroom. Show me the evidence and I may be inclined to agree. I think that the issue itself is worked on a more local level by religious organisations and groups of "concerned parents" and it is the school boards that wind up voting on them.
You're correct. I misspoke. This is not a policy he is implemening. I am more inclined to consider the climate that he represents and with a religious conservative in office, the fundamentalists in the country are starting to feel they have carte blanc to take over the education system.

I think this President is more inclined to break things than to fix anything and too many Americans just go along for the ride.

I defer to your expertise.